Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Now I work on a lot of things, but damn replacing a piece on bindings is one of the worst things ever. It just sucked. And when my bindings were in pieces it just looks awful, it made me feel like I wouldn't be riding again any time soon just because it looks so pathetic.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
As you can see 2 year old parts with lots of riding, does not fit snugly with brand new flat pieces, it took a C clamp to push it close enough to screw it in.
Upload
Look it all went back together! I don't know if I want to ride it now though lol.
Upload
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I feel your pain Dan, I just replaced the same piece on CWB Zeus'. I'm struggling with it for an hr or so, my friends are all laughing, "Aren't you an engineer, whats going on there man, looks like you're having some trouble."
I'm saying "You guys don't understand, there are 5 layers you have to line up and the screw through it all is barely long enough." Took me a while but I got it.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
I have done my Zeus' twice now. I tore and eyelet on one. Then I switched both to the non-recoil system. The second time I was definitely prepared with a beer and a few extra minutes. But the second time was actually pretty easy.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Ive done both my factions to install the plastic support pieces in the back, then i har to replace the wrap on one of my zeuses. Its a pain, but its doable. Ditto on the beer. You get frustrated, drink the beer, and think about the problem, cool down and get back in there.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Ya it took me about an hour to do mine also, some swearing was deff involved in the process, but hey it's done and ready to ride this weekend.

Seems like they make it tougher on purpose so you just send it to them for repairs. At least thats what it felt like they wanted, I wasn't waiting that long though.

Tony how'd you break the plastic support piece? That seems like something that wouldn't break or wear out.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Oh Man Do I feel your pain. Before I hooked up with O'brien I used to have a ride all Hyperlite stuff and would destroy the Old Byerly boots and 3060s like crazy. Paul O'brien sent me like 10 sets of replacement parts for every part the boots. Putting them back together was the biggest pain ever. You need like 4 hands!
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Dan, I didnt break anything. The early 07 factions had an issue with popping open, so the fix was these extra plastic support pieces or inserts. Although give me enough time and im sure I can break anything!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Damn Andy I couldn't imagine constantly replacing parts on bindings it would piss me off so bad trying to fix it all the time. Halfway through this I was ready to just go get some new bindings!

Oh I see, I got some of the early 07's too, I've never had them pop open though? Uh I just jynxed myself now though.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-22-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Looks like a serious head ache Dan. Honestly can't say that I would be willing to stay calm enough to fix that.

I had a pair of LF Sphinx that kept ripping in the same spot, got tired of sending them back so I stitched them til I could afford to replace them.

Upload
Old    sealyon.net            08-23-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Just repaired a pair of zues for a customer, MAN what a pain.It is easier to work on the back if you take the front off also. Next time I'll just send them back.

(Message edited by kerby on August 23, 2008)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-23-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
That's what is nice about the way hyperlite is made now. If you break something you get the whole binding replaced. No struggles with replacing one part
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       08-23-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
i replaced the orange overlay on my hyperlite 04 high backs....that was an adventure. that sucked. i couldnt get it tight enough and said ef it and just got new bindings!
Old    sealyon.net            08-24-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Jason, you got that right.
Old    110outlet            08-24-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
I tried to change my super suctions years ago by undoing the straps and using the extra holes, well 5 C clamps later and 3 hrs of swear words my parents had never heard of before i finally got one fixed up.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2008, 10:29 PM Reply   
^^^^
i remember having similar experiences with my ultra sux... the second boot went much faster though as i kinda learned things from the first boot

but now my legendary green ultras are cut up so they could sacrifice their footbeds to my slingshot D2's to snug 'em up a bit (i got size 10.5 feet with size 11 boots)... i also get extra coosh too ;)
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
I used to go through like 4 sets of wraps a year on my orange highbacks. That was just no fun.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-25-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yeah i just did the same on my '07 Zeus' about two weeks ago and it was a pain until i got smart. Mix dish soap and water and soak everything, goes together a lot easier.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-25-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
oh man. i took apart my ultra sucs to give them a little room. Got the first one back together, but decided to replace the boots before I tore into the second one. boot surgery is no fun and I can't imagine what tearing to today's boots would be like.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-25-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Good news, went riding and the binding did not fall apart on me! Yay, glad I got it all tight enough.

So I guess no one has ever easily replaced a piece on their bindings then.