Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-22-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
I'm starting my sub box and had my MDF pieces cut at my local lumber yard. It wasn't until after I got home, I realized they aren't 100% perfectly cut to size so some are a few millimeters longer or shorter than others. (I still need to check and see if they are square) What can I do since I don't have access to a table saw and can't get them perfectly cut?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-22-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
carpeting the box? put together as is and use lots of sealant! shouldn't see it through the carpet. try to make the front of the box as flush as you can. Hope this helps.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-22-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
If you have a skill saw and a framing square and two clamps you can clamp the square on the mdf and use the edged for a guide to slide the saw against. you have to allow for the saw table normally a 1 1/2".
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
sand paper...
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
As said above, if you dont have access to a saw, just make sure all the joins are square and carpet it.

Wait thats just wrong. If you going to do it you need to do it right the first time. In my experience, if mistakes were made even if no one could ever know, I would know it and bugs me to no end.

Have you looked into local tool rentals. You might be able to rent a contractors table saw for 50 bucks. Making tight joints with multiple pieces is difficult with anything less.

Were do you live? Maybe someone on here on WW can help you out. Offer a tow or two and some beer.

Do it right the first time and you'll be happy forever.

Derby Out!

Oh by the way I do have some pics but none with the final install. I get my boat back tomorrow. If you want them and more advice feel free to pm or email me direct.

(Message edited by derby on June 22, 2006)
Old    robertt            06-22-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hey Ronia, I have a table saw in my shop in Chesterfield. You are welcome to stop by tomorrow and use it, or come by my house and use whatever tools I have here.

Don't settle. Your time is worth too much to work hard on a project only to know its not right. It will probably only take ten minutes to get everything squared up.

No problem. Let me know.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-22-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Rob T,
Thanks but we left LSL in Feb and live in British Columbia CANADA! (eh?) now. Otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-22-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
i'll throw in my 2 cents here....i tried doing this and had to call in a favor to finish... it is a really hard project (i buy them now)...

to really get the box to fit togeter and work (airtight) requires a dado joint... the blade goes for $80 (you might be able to do with a router if your really good...)

it also requires icredible amount of time in the setup stage for everything to fit together (cutting is the easy part - exact setup is a different story, big stable table saw and alot of time..)

if your only into it for wood and cuts. i would suggest finding a local shop who builds box with a dado edge and can also recess the driver for a flush fit (if you dont mind the weight - 1" all the way around with a 2" on the front...)
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-22-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
Myke,
I appreciate what you're saying but I'd like to try to build it and see how far I get. Even Grant was a box building virgin at one time.
Old    smooth_worm            06-22-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
What part of BC are you in?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
Dado? I think you mean a rabbit.

Regardless with screws and adhesive, a butt joint will do just fine.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-22-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
derby, your right...rabbit for the ends and dado for the middle..(dado blade though)

uhmm...i have all my butt joint boxes loose function (airtight) over time and my last one (rabbit) hold togther over the years.. could have been the builder but i havent had to go back and reseal the box...

(Message edited by clubmyke on June 22, 2006)
Old    robertt            06-23-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
ronia, I didnt know you moved.

Congrats, I guess this is a positive thing, or you wouldn't have done it:-)

Great whitewater kayaking there!!!! Have fun.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I'm on the coast of BC. Live in Furry Creek, ride out of Lions Bay (Gambier Island) and work in Whistler!

Rob, yes I work in Whistler. I'd say it's a very positive thing!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Ronia..... My brother and I used to build tons of speaker boxes (he built, I drank beer and watched). He had it down and could build 2 PA (DJ sized) speaker boxes in a couple hours. The trick is getting the pieces close in size, then assembling and using a belt sander to smooth out the edges. He would assemble all his boxes with wood screws and glue, then silicone around the inside edges of the box to get them air-tight. Then you carpet and nobody would know the box wasn't exactly perfect.

I'm not sure how far off your pieces are, but a belt sander is cheap and takes a lot of material off very quickly. It should do the trick for you.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Evan. They're not that far off and a belt sander would work great.
Actually I have a roto zip with the round metal grinding attachment. Use that?
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-23-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
you can fix just about any open joint with wood screws a couple of clamps and liquid nails.
After all is said and done then sand
Jay
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
Ronia,

Another option, if you can't find someone from here near your area... go driving around an area w/ lots of building going on. Look for a house w/ a trim crew in it (you'll be able to tell b/c you'll see the big pile of plywood outside one of the windows more than likely) and walk in and ask for the head honcho. Offer to pay him some cash to let u use his table saw real fast, tell him what your cutting and why your having to cut it. He'll more than likely just let you use it for free, actually he'll probably do it for you, if he's like me or my Trim carpenter. As he wouldn't want you cutting yourself... or worse...screwing up his tools...lol. Just another option that I'm sure would work.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-23-2006, 11:01 PM Reply   
Car bondo