Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (launch_sl)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-26-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
help, just wired up a pair of west marine tower speakers, got a cheap amp 240 wats two channel for $25 sounds great in the driveway. but when the boats running or the blower runs it gets a wine. ran the power direct to the batt.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Things to look for, Speaker wires running next to power cables, cheap rca cables running next to power cables, using speaker inputs from deck to amp instead of good rca cables. Good luck
Old     (launch_sl)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-26-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
thanx, will check rca cables running next to power wire. I am hooked up rca deck to rca amp.
Old    miker            05-26-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
also make sure your ground wire isn't over 3 feet long
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       05-26-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
"got a cheap amp 240 watts two channel for $25"...What where you expecting dude? Go to Mickey Shore tomorrow and get something good. Rock on Wayne.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-26-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
Mike in a boat you dont have to keep the ground 3', mine is about 15' long and i dont have any wine. You do need to make sure the power wires are rated to handle the current for the length of run you have. Id be looking at the rca inputs like the others said.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2003, 12:03 AM Reply   
Same here. I have a 15' long ground and have no problems with stereo whine. I also use 2 ga wire and have 1000 watts of PPI power.
Old    6more            05-27-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Hell, you should be happy it makes wine. It might not taste like a fine wine, but anything is better than nothing.

Now if we are talking about whine, then you have a different story.

Seriously, this might be tough to track down. Could be the wiring or it might be the amp itself. It is definitely fixable. You'll just have to keep trying different things (bigger ground wire, RCA wires not running with power cables, etc). You could also try getting one of those alternator filters from radio shack if nothing else works. It should cut down on some of the whine and it is cheaper than buying a new amp. Good luck.
Old     (launch_sl)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-27-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
lots of good ideas but still have alt whine currently running a 6" ground strap have a filter rated for 500 amps but only a14 ga power lead what do you think, bigger wire ?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-27-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Get a better amp!
It used to be common to have that sort of problem back when radios were made with tubes and there wasn't a lot that the radio could do. Basically, any electrical noise would get into the amplifier circuit and then get amplified along with the signal. Alternators and electric motors are great generators of electrical noise.

Any modern amplifier and/or radio should have adequate filtering on the power inputs such that you shouldn't have a problem. But I suppose that if a manufacturer was trying to save enough bucks to get the cost down to $25 they might have skipped all that stuff.

Your choices are to spend a couple hundred $$$ to make the alternator and blower motors not generate the noise in the first place, or buy a decent amp.

Old    snowwsurfer            06-03-2003, 2:24 AM Reply   
You can buy a GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR for about 15 bucks at RADIO SHACK that will eliminate about 90% of that NOISE.
Old     (launch_sl)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-04-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
thanks Jeff dont know how that thing works, but its the best $15 spent. Will adjust gain and balance on the lake.This is the best low budget system soumds good, $125 west marine speakers,$25 250 watt ebay amp and $15 at radio shack ROCK ON thanx again
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-04-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
I love it when someone posts low budget systems. I've got a cheap amp already,and looked at the speakers. What did you use for mounts?
Old    bigd            06-04-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
Good Choice: