Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-16-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Old    mojo            06-16-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
i'm not arguing for or against them, but what is the purpose of the pickle forks?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-16-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
That's a good looking boat!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-16-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Reed, pickle forks allow for a more square bow, allowing more space. The pickle's are exaggerated a bit for aesthetic reasons.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
Reed, pickle forks allow for a more square bow, allowing more space. The pickle's are exaggerated a bit for aesthetic reasons.
Yup!

Tons more space in the bow! Can also have an overall wider boat, that is the same length without it looking funky. I think a good example of this is the MB B52 wide body, the shape of the bow looks a bit awkward compared to other normal bows.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-16-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
And for a modest $100K...
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-16-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett564 View Post
And for a modest $100K...
At the Calgary boat show i asked the mastercraft guys what the expected price would be for us Canadians. He told me after taxes and dealer fees it would be close to $140k with all the good options. Its a nice boat but i certainly wouldn't pay that much for it.
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-16-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Holy crap, those graphics are FUGLY! Seriously, what the heck are they thinking?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-16-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Everything can look bad online, I would wait to see more graphic options and wait till you see it in the water. Some of the ugliest looking color schemes end up looking darn good on the water.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-16-2012, 2:05 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm graphics remind me of an MB with an x...
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-16-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Honestly, not as bad as some of the other x-star photos I've seen. Still not a fan of the "hump" in the rear end of the boat. Looks like the freakin bat mobile. I saw a new X-30 out on the lake a couple weeks ago and thought it was hideous.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-16-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
not a fan of the looks of it but judging by the depth of the boat it looks deeper than the previous X star which I'm guessing has stepped up that awesome wake that much more, but again i don't like the overall look of it, like someone said that hump in the rear just looks awkward, probably would pick the new G23 over this one if buying but I'd ride the hell out of it if someone gave it to me, would probably think it looks better too if i owned it though
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
i like that scheme the best so far. Its nice that it appears to have a normal color interior. Those pickles sure look long. Do they count for the overall length of 24', or is that boat measured to the center tip between the forks?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have mixed feelings about pickleforks. A lot of people think they make the bow a lot bigger. I am not so sure. Sure it make it wider but you sacrafice some length. Take the bow of that xstar. It they didn'tdo the forks and just a slightly wider standard bow the seating in the bow could go much farther forward. Yes it would sacrafice some width but overall I am not sure the actual square footage in the bow would be much different. Boats like this xstar, the older xstar and the x45 have huge bows because the windshield is moved back which sacrafices the cocckpit space. I think the picklefork is mostly about what you prefer looks wise then anything else. At least on a lot fo them. Tige and Axis seem to do a good job of maxamizing the space.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
^^ and the moomba mojo and g23. wide bow, no forks
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
i like that scheme the best so far. Its nice that it appears to have a normal color interior. Those pickles sure look long. Do they count for the overall length of 24', or is that boat measured to the center tip between the forks?
Im sure they count towards the overall length
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-17-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
I'm not a Mastercraft fan but, I like the hump in the back. It gives it more character. It's unique and the graphics are way better than most of the stuff I've seen from them in the last five years or so. I just saw one that was about 2 years old yesterday and wow that bow sits low.
Old    9Drozd            06-17-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
I agree this is a step up graphics wise compared to years past. With that said my all time favorite star would have to be the 40th anniversary edition. I like that MC is designing outside the norm, but I cant get over that ugly rear end. That break in the rub rail just kills the clean lines the old star had.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-18-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-18-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Looks WAY better on the water!!!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-18-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
do not want.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-18-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Drumroll... and... egh.

I am ridiculously nonplussed with this boat. Still.

I just could not give a s#it about it. Call me jaded, ruined, scared off, but for a company that makes 2 of my 5 favorite boats of all time, for me not to give a damn about their new flagship - shows how badly this was managed from a PR standpoint. They duffed this so bad.

They have years of work to do, and their work is cut out for them. I need to see this thing show & prove now - because I believe there is fire when there is smoke and this thing has been mired 9 months running in internet bulls#it. I don't think it even "looks" good. It reminds me of that huge Centurion that came out a bunch of years ago. Tower looks too far back... I could go on about the aesthetic stuff. I care more about how this boat is going to do, and I really think it is going to do badly.

It makes me sad.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-18-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
do not want.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
I actually really like that graphics package. Hell of a lot better then their swirly crap they have been using that is going to look insanely dated in a year or 2. I also am starting to dig the lines of the deck. Looks pretty sexy. All of that said I would much rather have a new X30 because it has similar styling oustide of the picklefork but is probably bigger inside even though it is a foot shorter(downfall of overexaggerated forks) and if rumors about pricing for the xstar and x30 are correct the X30 is probably 30-50k less then the Xstar. Also, the X30 will probably produce 90% of the wakeboard wake the star will but will surf much better if the star is anythign like the old one and it should be because the hull is a similar design.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-18-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Drumroll... and... egh.

I am ridiculously nonplussed with this boat. Still.

I just could not give a s#it about it. Call me jaded, ruined, scared off, but for a company that makes 2 of my 5 favorite boats of all time, for me not to give a damn about their new flagship - shows how badly this was managed from a PR standpoint. They duffed this so bad.

They have years of work to do, and their work is cut out for them. I need to see this thing show & prove now - because I believe there is fire when there is smoke and this thing has been mired 9 months running in internet bulls#it. I don't think it even "looks" good. It reminds me of that huge Centurion that came out a bunch of years ago. Tower looks too far back... I could go on about the aesthetic stuff. I care more about how this boat is going to do, and I really think it is going to do badly.

It makes me sad.
Not saying your wrong here and I somewhat agree they have work to do, but tear little videos of new tricks being landed aren't proving anything? Or are you saying you need to get behind it and hit a W2W 1080 yourself? :P just picking truth
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-18-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-18-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Not saying your wrong here and I somewhat agree they have work to do, but tear little videos of new tricks being landed aren't proving anything? Or are you saying you need to get behind it and hit a W2W 1080 yourself? :P just picking truth
I don't see how that's a fair question the way you put it. I never mentioned my riding ability, but my response is as follows:
If the boat for others to follow is the G23, the X-Star in this new form doesn't even come close. In some very important ways it isn't even in the same league/class. I am not a Nautique nutbag either. It's a wicked thing to see your competition eat your lunch - much worse though to see them devour your lunch before you even sat down at the table. The critics have been snapping about the X-Star for months and I have sat back and, for the most part, watched this "s#it show" develop. And that is precicely what it is, this has been a "sh*t show" for them. It shows too. They've acted as a company 1/4 their size would. Rather than get back into the details about what exactly they did, just check the history of these threads on WW. Not only has the speculation been bad, but the scuttlebutt has been bad too. The people in the know have let us in on this ordeal.

I wouldn't touch this boat with YOUR money let alone mine.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-18-2012, 11:09 PM Reply   
I think it looks good. I'm not much for plain boats but that deisign is pretty plain but with just a little character in the graphics.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 12:12 AM Reply   
Let me preface this comment with the fact that I own and ride behind a 2009 mastercraft xstar.

I heard it from a Pros mouth yesterday who is sponsored by a completely different boat company (neither nautique or mastercraft), that the xstar is nice, but the G23 is the new boat/wake to have. This guy had ridden behind both and made his own decision.

Take it for what it's worth, I couldnt care either way. I'm happy with my current boat/wake.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-19-2012, 5:02 AM Reply   
I thought the pitch fork or picklefork was to put a bigger hull on a smaller frame. I might be wrong but they measure the boat from the flat part between the forks to the stern making the hull it sits on bigger so it displaces more water
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredthagnar View Post
I thought the pitch fork or picklefork was to put a bigger hull on a smaller frame. I might be wrong but they measure the boat from the flat part between the forks to the stern making the hull it sits on bigger so it displaces more water
I don't think that is true. if that Xstar is 24' then it is 24' from the very tip of the forks to the farthest back piece of fiberglass/rubrail not including the platform. I/O runabouts are measured including the platform because it is usually a molded in piece of the hull. This is why most I/O's are a foot or 2 shorter then they really say at least as far as the interior goes. The only inboard manufacturer I have seen fudge this is Calabria who markets the prov as a 24' boat when it really is only 21'6" boat. For some reason they include the platform.

The wetted surface of these pickleforks is very similar to that of a regular pointed bow boat. The entire idea behind it is just to get more room in the bow and for people who like the look. There may be some additional weight to a picklefork boat but maybe a few hundred pounds. The problem with picklefork boats like this new xstar and the old Tomcat 23 as well as the new tomcat 24 is that the forks add a bunch of extra length so they can market it is a bigger boat then it really is. For example this new xstar might be a 24' boat but looks to have the interior space of a 23' boat. I would take a guess and say the new 23' x30 has more seating and interior space then the new 24' xstar. Don't be fooled. 95% of it is for looks and to have an option besides a traditional pointed bow. .
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
I think it looks pretty good....I wouldn't kick it out of my driveway.

X25 or bust for me when it comes to MC, though.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-19-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
I think it looks pretty good....I wouldn't kick it out of my driveway.

X25 or bust for me when it comes to MC, though.
Kind of like how my exwife didnt want my new Yukon Denali to be seen in the driveway, so it had at all times to be in the garage. I wouldnt want this Xstar to be seen in my driveway. Totally joking u MC guys lol
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-27-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
Here are a few of the XStars for stock that we have coming in this Fall... See what ya think.. I'll say that the interiors are WILD! By far the toughest build outs so far. I think I've been working on them all day so be easy with the "That's fugly's" ..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Star 1.pdf (303.8 KB, 709 views)
File Type: pdf Star 2.pdf (307.4 KB, 593 views)
File Type: pdf Star 3.pdf (285.5 KB, 617 views)
File Type: pdf Star 4.pdf (282.2 KB, 558 views)
File Type: pdf Star 5.pdf (281.9 KB, 570 views)
File Type: pdf Star 6.pdf (280.8 KB, 774 views)
File Type: pdf Star 7.pdf (282.0 KB, 566 views)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-27-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
You guys really like your black down there. Especially red and black. No white boats at all? I think the 2nd one with some white will end up looking the best.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-27-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
The gel looks great on all of them, but the interior seems way too busy for me. It may just be the tiny picture you have to look at.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-27-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
No matter how much black and red we order it seems like they are the first to go.. Anything left over usually ends up being blue and whites, yellows, etc... My thinking was that the XStars should be a little over the top too.
Ian, if you're out there you'll see that i put a you a red one with tan guts...!
Attached Images

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-27-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Thanks Jon, and I admit i said "whoa" when i saw the interior colors too.. But i figured i might as well make them flashy. Should i tone them down?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-27-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Here you go Brett.. Do you like them any better?
Attached Images

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Are they ever going to ditch that ugly ass tower? Sadly, it looks even worse in person, both on and off the water. I've taken dumps that look better than their current tower lineup. Plenty of the competition makes good looking towers. It's such an important part of the look and function of the boat - why mess that up?

I'm curious what the MSRP and real world pricing is on the new X-Star. I am sure way too much money.
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-27-2012, 10:55 PM Reply   
Blue and black boat looks ****ing sick.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2012, 1:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Are they ever going to ditch that uglyWowtower? Sadly, it looks even worse in person, both on and off the water. I've taken dumps that look better than their current tower lineup. Plenty of the competition makes good looking towers. It's such an important part of the look and function of the boat - why mess that up?

I'm curious what the MSRP and real world pricing is on the new X-Star. I am sure way too much money.
Wow, thanks for feeding the stoke.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       06-28-2012, 6:06 AM Reply   
That second boat, Black White and Red is sick. Great look.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
That second boat, Black White and Red is sick. Great look.
x2

that is the jam.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-28-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Nice Craig. I like it although I do think the 2nd one looks the best. I am not sure if I like all the little color changes. Seems busy and I have a feeling it will look very dated very quickly. Then again if those are all just decals/stickers then you could take them off and go clean.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
It seems that the XStar always has the busy graphics. Remember the graffiti from 06-07? That was always a bit busy for me but people seemed to like it.

All I know is it's hard ordering a ton of boats at the same time. I'm probably the world's worst with tunnel vision too and i know that colors are a major influence and factor in how many boats we sell. No pressure right? lol
That's kind of why i like posting pics on here. I try to get all the feedback and process it. At the end of the day red and black keeps popping in my mind though! ha
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-28-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
If I had 150K sitting around, I'd happily take that black, grey and blue off your hands. Love the blue and gray interior.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-28-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Craig, do you have any idea what is sticker and what is gelcoat in the scheme? Hard to tell from their boat builder.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-28-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9645glazier View Post
If I had 150K sitting around, I'd happily take that black, grey and blue off your hands. Love the blue and gray interior.
Are you serious about that price?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
The X and the stripe/accents are stickers based on what i see. It appears to offer carbon fiber, light wood, or dark wood color choices on the graphics. I tried to pick something really showing the different places you can change colors with this pic. As you can see, it gets a little overwhelming.. ha
Attached Images

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-28-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Craig - Could you think about a White, Black and Silver version? I know alot of us really are diggin white, and I love my accent color of Silver fleck. Would love to see one mostly white and black with Silver accents....
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
White with blue accents on the outside, maybe a blue hull..then blue interior with white piping or white accents. Or vise versa on the interior. Would be sick.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Like this?
Attached Images

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-28-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Craig - order that one...I am telling you that will be the first one off the lot. May not appeal to a 22 year old flat bill... but to us over 35 who want a wake boat and still want classic boat lines that is just the ticket!!

That is seriously better looking than anything I have seen, including my new MB. Very very well done. ORDER IT NOW!! You will sell it in a heart beat.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think the X-star looks better in the build a boat than in real life.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Craig,

Let's try this one:

Hull 1: Navy
Hull 2: Navy Flake
Hull 3: Navy Flake
Hull 4: Navy Flake
Deck 1: White
Deck 2: Navy
Graphics: Silver Flake (if possible)
Accents: Carbon
Platform: Teak

Interior: solid white carbon with navy welt

Know it's "plain," but should really pop on the water with the navy flake!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Blue is here...
Attached Images

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-28-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
too much blue on interior....dislike that one...
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
That blue looks KILLER!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
I guess I'm just a youngn lol alot of color on the inside really pops to me.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-28-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hull 1: Black
Hull 2: White
Hull 3: White
Hull 4: white
Deck 1: White
Deck 2: White or black
Graphics: black X and Xstar then get rid of all the other graphics(might be able to use paint or photoshop to erase them back to white)
Platform: white or teak
Accent: black/carbon fiber
Interior: all white with black piping if that can be done

Last edited by polarbill; 06-28-2012 at 9:35 AM.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
I think that five inch or so space right on the edge of the seats on the blue should be white to tone down the blue. Then it's money IMO
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-28-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Pickle-Forks = Awesome place to mount lazers.

I like the look of the boat, but the dark upulstry that a lot of people are designing will be HOT!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'm going to make this like itunes..

please load .99 for each design idea.. ha
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-28-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtxmc View Post
I'm going to make this like itunes..

please load .99 for each design idea.. ha
I would do it myself if the mastercraft boat builder would actually load the xstar.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I was only teasing.. Consumer side not up and running.. Heck, i'm not sure if other dealers have access yet.. They are emailing me asking me where i am getting access.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Andrew, i didn't know they allowed drinking there at the firm? lol Here's your navy blue with navy flake with navy with navy flake with navy! lol
Attached Images

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
That one is awesome Craig! I'd sport it for sure...maybe next year!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
Just a heads up... TEAK NOT AVAILABLE ON XSTAR. That's disappointing to me because i prefer teak wood for sure...

Nice selection Brett. I think this one is really sick.
Attached Images

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Hey Morty, Mike Brendel just sent me a cease and disist (spelling?) letter. He said keep Morty in MB !!! lol
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
Haha, well I'm loving my MB so far!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
What, no Teak, I'm out
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
Seems like there are a lot of graphics under the rub rail so you'll have to put the registration numbers fairly low unless they are overlapping something.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-28-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
Curved windshield......neato....
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       06-28-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Craig,

Is the ZFT5P still an option on the Star? I was actually surpised to see the PWT without the power tower.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-28-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
Yes sir, the Power Tower (ZFT5) is an option on the Star...
Standard motor is 6.0L with options for 6.2L or 7.4L.

I think we are about 45 days out from Z5 bimini tops as well. Otherwise, it seems that the options are pretty much the same on the Star as our other boats. Zero Off now standard and tracking fins are included in the pro package.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
yes
Attached Images

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-11-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
Not too keen on the graphics...maybe its just my taste