Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
So I have been looking into getting new carpet for my 2001. The original stuff is about as soft as a cotton sheet over concrete. I also want to get a lighter gray than I have. I called the dealer, and they can get me carpet from either the 97-03's 27oz or a 04+ 40oz carpet.

Here is the price break down, but it is adding up quick and I want to know what people think is better as the price difference is like 50 bucks.
Shipping is 100 bucks coming from Florida. The minimum order is 15 yds. I need about 12.

97-03 model years carpet
28oz carpet
$15.70 per yd

04+ model years carpet
40oz carpet (very thick)
$20.20 per yard

Shipping about $100 by 15yd roll only, also 2-3 weeks for delivery.

If you have either, let me know what the pros and cons are. Also if you used some carpet that is similar in "niceness" let me know where it came from and how much.

The only pic I could find with my carpet in it.

Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-16-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Try Lowes. They sell some decent marine carpet there, much lighter in weight than the 40 oz. in my Toyota but it is rubber backed and dirt cheap. Looks good too. I've used it for speaker boxes, etc.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-16-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
You need to go to a place like UFO carpet (if you have 1 up there). Down here in San Diego they have 2.

Look into any Boat dealership that does repairs. They will have access into getting 40oz carpet, as they probably do installations and repairs to carpet. You may have to wait until they place thier order ( saves you on shipping) and they can just over order to cover what you need.
Anyway you can also contact any boat dealer and try and work a deal through them. DO NOT GO THROUGH LOWES OR HOME DEPOT.

You can also look for a repair shop that does marine vinal, they can usually get marine grade 40oz carpet.

Back in 98 I redid my Supra with 40 oz carpet and I was able to get it from my local Nautique dealership for a reasonable price.

Good Luck
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Luke,

Found this, maybe it will help.

http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site/department.cfm?id=06E2145C-62FF-4F39-9D4A125361A6D26C
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
Charles, thanks, but they are almost the same price, and they wont supply shipping charges until I submit the order.

E Double U- I will stop in Larsons when I am up there this weekend, see if we can work out a deal. I dont mind the price, but $100 for shipping, come on! Thats why I have tried to find something local.

I have seen the Home depot stuff, not what I am looking for. Needs more bling to it. Maybe Ill put some berber in.
Old    jmo52            02-16-2005, 11:29 PM Reply   
Even though it's more I would go with the 40oz. The 28oz acts more like a sand siffter. The dirt goes straight through instead of getting caught up on top so you can clean it.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of my floor, I know some boats have more than one compartment under the floor. In the pic you can see my battery box toward the top. Does anyone have photos of the other compartment?

Here is a pic of someone elses floor rebuild. Notice the large open space in front of the pylon. Do all 2001's have this? I want to make an access to store stuff in it.

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
All set, I decided to go with the carpet for the 04 X9's. My buddy Jude has one and I liked the carpet. Mine original carpet is actually darker, so I don't think heat will be an issue. I liked the Nautique carpet, but decided that for all the extra fees they kept tacking on it wasn't that nice. That and it is farily light. I know people tend to drop things, so stains will be not as noticeable.

By the way, the picture with the floor tonup is not mine, that is someone elses that was nice enough to post photos of it.

Now I will start modifying the battery box and creating an underfloor storage space.

Anyone know where to get some marine grade wood? I need some to make some side pockets on the boat, mine doesn't have any, and I would like to add soemthing to breakup where the sacs sit.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       02-24-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
yo lukey... O.K. lumber has Marine Grade Plywood i think i was paying like $60-$70 for a 3/4 sheet...check it out!!!...hey luke i though we both agreed that you should go retro on your 2k1 and roll out some thick blue shag!! some burberry inserts on the seats and you would be flossin!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-03-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
All right,

here are some interesting pics of some problems I found today. Looks like some played tractor pull with my pylon!!

IF you look close at the pics of the welds, there are black lines running through them. Those are bad. The majority of the horzontal welds are like this. The vertical welds are fine though.

Then, the best for last. Where the pylon meets the hull.

Old    whitechocolate            03-03-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
Dammm Luke. That sucks, sorry to see/hear that, Thats what we call a Chocolate coverd turd. It looks good from the out side and then when you bite in you relize you have a "well you proabley get the Idea" Sorry to hear your simple re carpet job turned in to a chocolate coverd turd

looks like you need to remove the pylon and re weld a new suppor and re fiberglass it back into the boat, Looks like you have a new winter project
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-04-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Welds and floor are bad, but overall, your pylon should be tilted like that. It mimmics the line of the motor box and gives you a little room to get past it from the drivers seat.

Are you having the carpet sewed at the edges? I'm looking to do the same thing this summer and thought about having the pieces cut and then bound before gluing them down.

Eric
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-04-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
that looks a little more tilted than the Nautiques i've seen. looks more like an old Supra. since you're this far along, i'd say ditch the pylon, patch up the hull and the hole in the floor, and throw a tower on it!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
Trace,

My thoughts exactly, since we never use the pylon, already have a tower, I was thinking of just getting it rewelded before I patch the floor, then leaving the hole and getting a plug to cover the hole. Kinda like where the shaft runs through the hull. I am not convinved that the stock pylons are supposed to be that bent, even with the angle it is at, It has a weird pull angle from the rope coming off of it.

Oh well, leaving for the weekend, so I'll fix it later.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
heres a pic from shasta

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-04-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
The 2001 is a great crossover boat, it will devalue the boat if it does not have the center pylon, plus it's a great handle for the center passenger as shown in the previous picture.

Contact the people that have removed their plyons and see if you can determine if it's overbent or take that scrap aluminum off their hands. I would reglass the floor support, maybe have somebody lay a pass over the weld cracks if you know somebody with a mig/tig.

Luke,

I might recommend you crosspost this thread to planetnautique and the.2001.com, their is good information and pictures that others can use to help you or themselves.
Mike
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-04-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
great looking boat.

i pulled the pylon out of my old PS190, and was very happy with it gone. it really seemed to create more room up front than i expected. i gave it to the ppl that bought it, and it would have been fairly easy to put it back in if they wanted it.

i agree it may help resale to have the option of reinstalling it, but i doubt the added resale value would be worth the cost of fixing it right.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-17-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Ok, here is the update.

I am trying to fit batteries in, and it looks like I may have to go with the blue tops instead of Golf carts. I can stand the bluetops up in the original location with a new battery box I am making, but the other spot under the floor they will need to lay on their side. Just not enough space for tall, or wide batteries.

Here is what it looks like now.

As you can see in the next pic, I will fit a batt box here and have to kinda squish the air lines to the sides of it. There is just enough space to stack the left side, but the right needs to barely squish under the white pipe.

I will have to carefully route the lines as to get the to their orginal exit locations. I don't want to chop it out cause it will lose strength with two large holes on the left side of it.

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2005, 1:09 AM Reply   
I have a couple spots in my floor of my 86 2001 where it feels like the fiberglass is coming up from the wood? This is BAD correct. Is it pretty hard to put a new floor in?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
Jeff i put a new floor in my 78 master craft. Its a job but can be done. Or you could pull up the carpet and check the spots and pull up the old glass and lay some new to get by. Until you get that new SAN.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Squid thats what I was thinking about trying to do. At least run it this year,Then see what happens. It is my first boat so I made some mistakes and it is showing some wear & tear. It has a sweet speaker box on the tower though......HAHA....Thats why I want to take it to WSSR so you and Paul can see it installed.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
cool,Jeff we will see ya up there then.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-05-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
Heres a little sneak peak of some progress.

Oh, and ski world said my carpet finally shipped.

1 MONTH LATE!!!

Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-05-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I don't think removing the pylon will devalue the boat. Most people that I know that are buying old 2001's are getting them for the great wake that it can throw if sacked correctly. I know, I had people fighting over my '87 when I sold it. All wakeboarders. Slalom skiers said it had a hard rooster tail in the back.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-05-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
I am not removing the pylon, I am just getting the frame it mounts in fixed. I decided that whilethe floor is up, I might as well fix it. Then I can just stick a plug in the whole where the pylon goes through if I decide to leave it out. It is easy enough to bolt back in, I just want to be able to use it in the future.
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-05-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
Luke, thats also what I did as far as my pylon go's. It is preety easy to bolt back in if you ever need to or when you sell it. Removing it does make it more roomy up front. I slid a piece of pvc (i think 2") with a cap covered with carpet flush with the floor and you can't tell. Look forward to seeing more pics of your progress. I'd like to see how the batteries are going to sit in that area. Also, did you repaint or re-gell your boat? It looks great. I want to remove my stickers and do something similar to yours.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-05-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Johnny- Its a heavy duty marine paint that we got. Seems pretty durable.

Still working on the battery situation.

Dropped the frame off at the welders, hes gonna grind all of the old welds off and redo them, also will weld the backside of the channels too. He is also going to run some supports from the center diagnally out to the sides for greater support.

Should be done on thursday, we'll see then.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
All right, picked up the frame from the welders yesterday, and installed it this morning. Damn it looks strong. Here are some photos I toook.

You can see where he redid all of the welds, added some diagnol supports, and actually welded the inside of the rear support for added strength.

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
Now I have to go pick up some batteries, to start the test fitting for the under floor area.

And finish the underbow area. Were moving the tubes over behind where the wires run.

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Luke looks good.....Is it hard redoing the floor? I think me and some friends could do it but kinda nervous about ripping stuff out. I really like the idea of moving the vent hoses more to the side. I give you mad props for everything youve done to your boat. You have given me some good idea's and made youre boat great in the process. Thanks Jeff
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
The floor part is easy, it was all the other stuff that kept coming up that was the hard part.

Here is an updated photo of where the batts will go. Picked up two today to start fitting everything back in.

Made a box for the batts out of metal, wood would be too thick, the metal is strong and takes up less space.

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Coated the batt box with this rubber type paint, NOT LINEX, also re-enforced the keel on the inside. Mine had become pretty worn, (thorugh the gel) and you can see light from the inside shining through the fiberglass (not uncommon on unfinished glass))but I wanted to strengthen it cause i had no idea how worn it had become. I ended up putting on 5 layers of fiberglass over that spot. And I put another coat of resin over the bilge area that isn't supposed to get water in it. Yeah right!!

Tomorrow, I will pick up some more resin, sheet of marine grade, some expando-foam, and start routing all of that tubing. (already testfit)

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
So I glassed the pylon holder back in on the hull of the boat, and ran the new air tubes.

Two 3" tubes for main air supply, and 1- 2 1/2" tube that will run up to the carb for more fresh air. I will make a housing for it to connect to.

Here is an updated pic of the project, cut over to the 2nd floor support, will tie in with the new floor boards there. Made a thin cover to glass over for the forward area of the floor.

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Now I am F-ing PISSED.

After waiting 7 weeks for what was supposed to arrive a week after order, my carpet finaly came in.

OH WAIT. THEY ONLY SENT 2 YDS. What good does that do me? Am I carpeting an RC boat?

You know what pisses me off the most, its that it was there when I was in the area (dealer is about 45mins out) and they hadnt found it or knew it was there. So I make a special trip out there,2hrs roundtrip, gas prices at an alltime high, and my girlfriend is in town for the weekend. What do they havefor me, ONE DINKY LITTLE BOX. I looked at it and wondered
"How does 39ft of carpet fit in a box no bigger than what a wakeboard comes in?"

Apparently, I am the ONLY person that thought this. Even the guy that took the invoice off of the box and said "oh hey, heres that order for 13yds of carpet" didn't realize that it is physically impossible for it to fit in the 4"x24"x36" box that it shipped in.

Sometimes I wonder?

Note to self. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH MASTERCRAFT AGAIN.

Now to figure out what to do.

ps- It has been 2hrs since I found out, and I am more mad now than I was at the store. Damn stupid companies!!
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-16-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
Luke-
Did you put the new graphics on your 2001 or did you buy it like that? I just got a 2001 and was thinking about replacing the graphics, but didn't know if they would be hard to get.

The pic you have from shasta looks great!

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-17-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
We put all the decals on it. It was Carolina Blue, we repainted, and put new graphics.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-17-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
Luke-
Did you order the pics directly from CC?
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-18-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your mishap with the carpet. That really sucks. I have to say though the pics look great keep up the great work. Looks like your making a lot of progress.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-18-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
Trevor-
I acutally went to Central Valley Marine in Campbell, Ca to get the graphics. They had them all in stock. I actually had to go back and swap them for white ones from black ones. They were totally cool, and even gave us some replacment letters for free after the came off. (how they came off I dont know) same letters on both sides though, same day also.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-26-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Ok, so my carpet comes in last wednesday to the place in Palo alto where I can pick up local. I call Thursday afternoon to see where it is. Whats missing here? Oh yeah! A courtesy phone call to tell me it was in!! So I pick it up Friday morning, real nice lady confirms for me that this roll looks to be about 13yds to her. I take her word for it and take the carpet home.

Now when looking at it, the carpet looked like the stuff at Lowes I saw. Not the right carpet, but I will wait till I get a chance to do a comparison.

Friday evening- called off trip to Pedro because carpet didn't arrive in time. (actually it did, but I was never called and told it was in) start comparing carpet, and with the help of some people on wakeworld I confirm it is not the right stuff. GREAT! They sold me the old model carpet, not the 04 x series carpet that I specifically ordered and drove out there to place an order to avoid confusion!!

I call saturday and the parts guy tells me m-craft makes only one model of carpet in two colors, I have the gray. There is no other carpet that I am talking about. I tell him to call Mcraft on monday and ask them about it.

I call another dealership and he confirms my statements about 2 carpets, 20oz and a 40oz. I was right.

Monday comes and I call and talk to a dealership manager(forgot to get name) he listens to the entire story, and says he will contact mcraft and get right on this. He will call me back ASAP and try to get it drop shipped to my house so I do not have to drive out there again.

I just got a call while typing this, and it seems that the person who originally took my order wrote down the wrong year and that is where the whole thing started from. The will contact mcraft in the AM and see what they can do to get it out asap to me.

Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
dam id ask for a price break or at least dropshipment after going back and forth on this so many times.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Not to steal your thread...
But, I got my carpet installed in my 82 nautique last weekend. What do you think?

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Very nice Jason!! What carpet did you go with?

That looks really clean!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
OK dealer called and worked it all out. Started with an error from the start, I didn't catch the mixup when they sent the wrong amount, so now they will send out the correct carpet. It should take about 8 days, so we'll see when I get it.

They are trying very hard to accomodate me, so I will stick with them.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
Just some regular 20 or 26 oz carpet, nothing special. It turn out pretty good, but wont be as plush as a 40oz.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
Hey what kind of tower is that?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Boss Custom Swoop
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
LOOKS SICK, what was the cost, Tower, installation, board racks?
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-28-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
Hey Jason,

How much did it cost you to replace your carpet? Did you do it yourself or have it done? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do it myself or have someone do it for me. Southeast Correct Craft recommended a place that charges $600 for everything but the surrounding the engine cover.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
tower got at a deal, they built the swoop, but we ordered the pro series. They sold it to us for like $1295, the boardracks my brother machines so they were just metal cost, installation cost me a 30 pack. (lot of guys at Boss at the time)
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-29-2005, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hey Johnny - if you want to replace your carpet on a budget, you can do it for pretty cheap. I put new carpet in my '89 Supra Comp this winter. I got the carpet, glue, and tools all at Lowes. After buying everything, I was still under $100. Not including the removal and installation of the interior, the actual carpet installation took about 45 minutes. Good luck!