Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-28-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Okay, I know that this won't apply to a lot of you because your stock systems are more than someone would be able to build from scratch for a grand. But we had a "budget boat" thread that was pretty cool, and I bet that a lot of us have done "budget" stereo builds...

So, let's see what people have done for $1000 or less. My boat had a basic deck and 4 speakers to start with.

And here is what I have now (replacing my stock stuff completely)
  • Wetsounds WS420sq EQ (used as a head unit)
  • 4 MB Quart Boat Speakers
  • Used Punch 360.2 off Ebay (180 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms going to 4 boat speakers)
  • Used Punch 500s off Ebay (500 watts RMS mono to sub)
  • New Phoenix Gold 10" Subwoofer off Ebay
  • New Subwoofer Enclosure covered in Bedliner
  • New Phoenix Gold Ryval v1502 (150 watts x 2 RMS to tower speakers)
  • New Bazooka Compression Horn Tubbies
  • New Bazooka tower speaker clamps
  • Misc Wiring
  • Less: Sale of Kenwood Deck that was in my boat
  • Less: Sale of Kenwood Speakers that were in my boat

Net investment = ~$1000 or slightly less.

Don't have a pic of the amp/sub install right now. But the sub is just behind the bow walkthrough and I have a cushion for the top of it that makes it into a jumpseat.

So, what else have people done for Budget stereo builds? I know many of you have more in a single pair of tower speakers than I have in my whole system. But I feel really good about my setup for the money I have into it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
We're in under $1,000 I believe (if I remember prices close to right)

4 - Kicker 6.5" speakers - $250/pair (I think) - $500 total
2 - 8" Bazooka speakers (worthless) and were like $150/pair
Amps - Sony 6 channel for tower speakers - 660w - was under $100
Sony 2 channel for sub(s) - 1000w - was under $100
Sub - 15" Alpine Type-R - craigslist for $50
headunit - cheapie from Wal-Mart.... plays Aux / USB / SD cards - $30?

.... I can hear it crystal clear at 80 ft.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-28-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
Are your leds 5050 smd or 3528?

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-28-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
I am now oddly attracted to dual tower speakers now. I haven't the slightest clue why...
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-28-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
I don't have pictures but I have a very budget friendly stereo that sounds amazing for the price.

Sony headunit (automotive with ipod hookup, 3 pre outs) around $100
Pioneer GM-D8604 4 ch amp $135
Old Rockford Fosgate 300.2 amp $???
Alpine SPS-m600 speakers 3 sets $90x3
JL W1 10" sub $160
Alpine SPR-M700 speaker-2 sets $105x2

For the 4ch amp, I have ch 1/2 going to all six interior speakers, 3 speakers per channel. (amp is 1 ohm stable), subs bridged on ch 3/4.
The 4 7" alpine speakers on my tower and ran by the old school rockford 2ch amp.
I made the tower speaker box myself from mdf and fiberglass. around $100 in materials.
The wiring was already in the boat, along with a second battery.

Everything bought online at a wholesale site and it all adds up to around $1000. I must say it was a cheap cheap stereo and probably won't last years and years but for the money, it has been a great setup. It is "audible" while wakeboarding but it shines at the cove or on the beach. The reason behind a cheap stereo is the boat is temporary and not worth the high price tag of high end equipment.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-28-2013, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Are your leds 5050 smd or 3528?

The ones around my speaker rings are SMD's according to the ebay auction, I'm pretty sure they are only the 3528's though.

The ones along the gunwale steps are 5050 SMD's and they are significantly brighter than the ones around the speaker grills.

Last edited by trayson; 08-28-2013 at 1:52 PM.
Old     (04avyboarder)      Join Date: May 2012       08-28-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
Used rev 8's $700
Used ws 420 $100
New PPi 900.4 $179

$979
Old     (Malibumofo)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-28-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
Cooler Radio
Attached Images

Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-29-2013, 4:29 AM Reply   
This was my old Yamaha I had. This system was all new & came in just under $1000.00

Tuning is EVERYTHING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_sj...=TLXQVkHbdhNzI
Old    Paxdad            08-29-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
Whats up with the red and black wires running out of the speakers?? Is that the 3M stick on LED lights? Seriously you need to put some of those LEDs on the outside of the boat just under the rub rail, that would be sick, sick, sick!!! One of a kind for sure......
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-29-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
My system was about $1000, but I got a couple of good deals. I don't think I could find my Exile gear this cheap again. I bought it from Audiosavings awhile back. Some of you may remember when they had Exile in stock (sorry Brian ).
  • Exile SXT65Q Tower Speakers - $250
  • Exile 400.4 Amp - $90
  • Alpine Headunit Used - $160
  • Polk DB651 (2 pair) - $120
  • Clarion EQ - $60
  • Alpine amp - $120
  • Infinity Basslink Sub - $175
  • KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & RCA's - $100-150
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-29-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
Whats up with the red and black wires running out of the speakers?? Is that the 3M stick on LED lights? Seriously you need to put some of those LEDs on the outside of the boat just under the rub rail, that would be sick, sick, sick!!! One of a kind for sure......
I'm detecting some sarcasm...

Yes, they're just the LED strip lights with the 3m adhesive on the back. I bought speakers that had a flat face on the speaker grill and put the LED's on the outside of the speaker grill. I just couldn't justify all the money/hassle for the speaker rings that others were doing.

Yeah, I did get in a bit of a hurry and just ran the wires from my cupholder LED's up to the front speaker grills... They really don't bother me, but yeah, it could have been done better. Sometimes I get hurried/lazy and cut corners.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
The led rings are a PITA. I was going that route for all my tower speakers (6 of them), but my in boats, they are 6x9's. and the idea of just lining the grill, not half bad imo.

I should have a few rolls of LED strips arriving in a week or so to do the interior.
Along with my new Rev10's. stoked.

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-29-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
The led rings are a PITA. I was going that route for all my tower speakers (6 of them), but my in boats, they are 6x9's. and the idea of just lining the grill, not half bad imo.

I should have a few rolls of LED strips arriving in a week or so to do the interior.
Along with my new Rev10's. stoked.

Works for me.

Night shot:
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
Take those clunky lights off and run a 20" LED bar!
I have one sitting, waiting patiently to be mounted.

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:

Yea because 20" LED bars are cheap. I thought we were talking budget.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-29-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:

And how much did your 20" LED Light bar cost you? I just did a quick search and the ones I found were $275+

I got my "clunky" one here in the WW classifieds for $75 shipped including the tower clamps.

But hey, buy me a 20" light bar and I'll be happy to swap!

And what Newty said.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
Want to get a group buy? We can get 20" bars for very cheap. Comparatively speaking.

Let me know. We need 20, 25 is preferred for better pricing. We can still probably make it happen with at least 15 people and get the 20 person price.
That's how I got mine

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-29-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Want to get a group buy? We can get 20" bars for very cheap. Comparatively speaking.

Let me know. We need 20, 25 is preferred for better pricing. We can still probably make it happen with at least 15 people and get the 20 person price.
That's how I got mine

Always willing to look into deals. show me the specs of what you have in mind, and what ballpark pricing might be.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Always willing to look into deals. show me the specs of what you have in mind, and what ballpark pricing might be.
Alright.
Give me a few minutes to finish my work, then we will go shopping. Lol

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Alright. So here's some numbers on those Led bars - these prices will be to our doors.

20" dual row Led 6000k white, 7200 lumen - $175

30" dual row led 6000k white, 10,800 lumen - $220

Like I said, comparatively inexpensive.
That would be what we pay at 20 people, the more people we have, the lower the cost, obviously.

If anyone wants other things, I'm sure that could be worked out as well. Cubes, other size bars, etc. But the 20" and 30" are usually most popular.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 08-29-2013 at 1:23 PM.
Old    Paxdad            08-30-2013, 3:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm detecting some sarcasm...

Yes, they're just the LED strip lights with the 3m adhesive on the back. I bought speakers that had a flat face on the speaker grill and put the LED's on the outside of the speaker grill. I just couldn't justify all the money/hassle for the speaker rings that others were doing.

Yeah, I did get in a bit of a hurry and just ran the wires from my cupholder LED's up to the front speaker grills... They really don't bother me, but yeah, it could have been done better. Sometimes I get hurried/lazy and cut corners.
My bad on the sarcasm... I appreciate the fact that you are enjoying what you have done to your boat, that makes it cool in my eyes!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Alright. So here's some numbers on those Led bars - these prices will be to our doors.

That would be what we pay at 20 people, the more people we have, the lower the cost, obviously.

If anyone wants other things, I'm sure that could be worked out as well. Cubes, other size bars, etc. But the 20" and 30" are usually most popular.

Actually not bad at all! The ones I was looking at were over $800. What brand are these?

Last edited by newty; 08-30-2013 at 9:19 AM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-30-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newty View Post
Actually not bad at all! The ones I was looking at were over $800. What brand are these?
Totron. They are a pretty popular brand and very similar in just about every aspect to Rigid.

Old     (04avyboarder)      Join Date: May 2012       08-30-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:

I might be interested in a 20" @ that price....