Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Lawdog)      Join Date: May 2010       02-13-2011, 9:17 PM Reply   
I was talking with some friends at work who also do P90X and one of them stated that there is another set of P90X dvd's coming out, and I am not talking about the P90X Plus. Anybody else hear anything?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Moving on to week 2 of our P90x and 12 week fitness challenge.

In two weeks I've managed to do:
4:30hrs of biking (all intervals, nearly hurled on Saturday)
9:15hrs of running
:30 of swimming
2hrs of lifting
4:40hrs of P90x (with an hour to go this evening).

I was down 5.5lbs (3% difference) this morning from my starting weight two weeks ago. Have picked up the book The 4 Hour Body and starting to follow his Slow Carb diet. Also did some of the kettleball exercises he suggests, I'm embarrassed as to what a 44lb kettleball did to me this morning. Same for the couple of ab exercises, I was toast for the 3rd set on the Bosu ball.

I know I'm going nuts on the cardio (it's what I like to do), but I'm looking to drop 10lbs of fat and not really pick up any muscle. We had our body comp measured via hydrostatic (dunk tank) at the start and have a follow up testing at the end of our 12 weeks. I'm liking what I see on the scale and my abs are starting to come back. Really hoping I can stick with the diet part and things happen!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
Josh

P90X, MC2 coming out, it is the current series of one on one monthly videos that Tony is putting out now.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Dave hope you get better soon.
Dave have you tried buffalo meat yet. It's leaner and higher in protien than ground beef. Taste better IMPO as well. Ever since I tried it I rarely eat ground beef.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-15-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
My wife has made these chipotle turkey burgers a couple time since we have been on the diet and they are freakin awsome. If look for different foods and recipes you can find some stuff that taste good that is good for you.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-16-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
I must say that I'm super bummed about this back issue. I rested it for a week and started working out again this morning and I pulled it again. It felt like someone shot me in the back. Luckily I was sitting or the weights in my hands probably would have landed on my feet. Any trainers on here that can give me any advice?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-17-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Started phase 2 this week. Man these two new work outs are really tough. I don't remember them being this tough but maybe it was just that I was not pushing this hard. Makes legs and back look pretty easy.
Dave heal up and get back on it!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Well today is day 45, the half way point. Been working really hard, phase 2 videos are pretty tough. Overall I am happy with my progress. I got an ear infection that has lasted about a month but have just worked through it. Lots of pressure when lifting. Also strained my calf during plyo but not bad enough to stop me from working out. Diet wise I have been on point. Last weekend we did go out twice and I had Filet Mignion both times but other then that my ratios have been pretty much perfect. I am at 40 Protein 40 Carb 20 fat consuming between 1900 and 2000 calories. Still weigh between 164 and 160 depending on the day. Definately feel stronger. Is anyone else out there still pushing play?
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-23-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
I did the workouts and definately saw a difference in strength but not sure my total pull up count really ever got over being able to do a few sets to 10. I tried the diet part and the first phase with little to no carbs was tough. I have fallen off the plan a bit and have been trying to lift heavier and switch it up at the gym. I never got close to being super lean by any means. I guess I need to give it a go again and follow the diet plan to a T to see some results. I am about 6ft 180 so not a big guy by any means but would like to have some definition if possible. How did you guys get your pullup count up so high?... I felt like I got better through out the phases but never could get up to anything more than a few sets of 10. For the people who have witnessed really good results with the diet did you track your progess daily through the site mentioned earlier in this thread or just write it down?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Keith,
First off the livestrong site is a must. There is no way I could do it without the site. I might be able to now because I kind of know what I am doing. But at the begining no way!

With pull ups it sounds like you are in same boat I was in. I could do about 80 or 90 the first time I did P90X. Besides the diet (which is key) I made a couple other adustments that have made me more successful this time around. I have replaced yoga and kempo in the workout program. Instead of doing Kempo I do a day of max pull ups and max push ups. Where I pick 5 different kinds of pull ups and 5 different kinds of push ups and do max reps on them. This really helps. WHen I started I was able to do between 15 and 18 of reverse grip pull ups, now I can do 30. On the other pull ups I used to be able to about 10 now I can do 15. On the yoga day I do a 1 mile run on the treadmill then I do sets of sprints on the treadmill. Then I do yoga belly because I think that is really important. I still do the yoga during the recovery week. I know I should probably being doing those two workouts as well but this is what has worked so far for me.
This is the first time I can really feel myself getting stronger. That is the reason I think phase 2 has been so tough for me this time. Because I can actually do towel pull ups and one handed push ups where in the past it was not possible to give my all.
Good luck and I hope this helps you out.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Still in recovery mode on my back muscle strain. I'm still doing the diet and I think I've lost about 7 pounds, but at this point I think I should probably just start over when I get healthy again. Kind of a bummer.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Mike,
thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot and see how it goes this time around. I have started a myplate account and am eating my first 4 egg white omelet with chicken this morning. I have to say that canned chicken is pretty hard for me to eat... for some reason it has a strange smell that is mentally making it hard to eat. I think I am going to just go with some grilled chicken over the canned stuff. Hopefully I can kick the coca cola and not feel horrible. Might have to sneek a diet coke in and choke it down if I get a craving. Any suggestions on a good blender for these smoothies? I was thinking of picking up a magic bullet since it makes small drinks but not sure if anyone has had any luck with one of those.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-28-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Ketih,
I will be honest with you I cannot handle the smell of the canned chicken either. If you have the time to grill chicken I would be all over that. On the weekends I BBQ all my chicken and it is much more enjoyable. The problem is during the week I do not have that luxary. And I am looking at food more for fuel then for taste. For me once I microwave the chicken it is fine, just the begining smell bothers me. Once you start seeing results it motivates you.
I drink a diet pepsi almost everyday. I used not like diet pepsi but I have gotten used to it and actually look forword to it for a lunch time pick me up.

Just do your best and if you stick to the diet you will definately see results.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-28-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
keith....I have tried the magic bullet...didn't like it. they are a bit pricey but hands down some of the best. Look at blendtech or vitamix. also at my local grocery store they sell grilled chicekn already cooked...it's a little pricey but the time it saves is worth it to me, not to mention it tastes great every time.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-28-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Gonna start tomorrow. I'm in good shape, run 3-5 mi twice a week and lift twice a week. The diet is going to be the hard part. Gonna limit my diet Mt. Dew intake and do my best not to drink beer. I beer once a week so if I can stretch to 2 weeks or more I'll be happy. Looking to go from fairly flat stomach to seeing some lines on my abs. I can do 20/15/12 sets of pullups so should be interesting to see what's the count after.

I already do GNC extreme vitapak and use their xxx shake for faster recovery. I notice a difference with the products.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Adam.. thanks for the pre cooked idea. I gave in a had to buy some grilled chicken from the deli in my building that was about 6.50 for 6oz! Expensive but better than canned chicken for sure. Will be grilling a bunch up this evening so I will be ready for the week. Chest and Back whipped me pretty good today. Second round of Pushups were pretty much all knee push ups... sad but I still pushed through them. So after updating my livestrong myplate page I should be at 50.76% protein, 26.32 fat and 22.92% Carbs. Not too far off for my first day although it seems I will be about 364 calories short of my 2000.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-28-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
keith,
Eat some fruit and you should be about right on. It will up the carbs lower the fat and give more calories. Once you get it dialed. If you don't mind eating the samethings almost everyday you will be good to go.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Mike... added 2 clementine oranges and half a banana to see where my numbers would be and its pretty close! Will add the banana to my protien shake and just eat the oranges by themselves as a afternoon snack. It will put me at 46.8 pro, 28.6 carbs, 24.5 fats. Total Calories at 1966. I think once I get my chicken portions correct I should be a little closer. I am giong to have a pure protien bar later today as well and that thing is loaded with carbs and sodium. Looks like my Cholesteral and Sodium intake is higher than the recommended amounts. Not sure if these items being over is really that big of a deal but figured I would let you guys know where my numbers will be for some feedback.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have to say I love P90X!! I'm in my first rest week and I've seen a huge difference. Dropped more than a pants size, already lost 5% body fat in less than a month! I don't know about you guys but I have found that www.fitday.com is the way to go. It graphs out your carbs, protein and fat for you, supper easy, they have a iphone app as well which makes it super easy on the run. I'm in outside sales in my car most of the day so that really helps. I've really stuck to the 50 protein, 30 carbs, and 20 fat.
For those of you that don't like canned chicken check out the Foster Farms Southwest chicken breast strips. Supper good, precooked, good seasoning, and usually on sale at albertsons. 3 oz has 110 cal, 1.5g fat, 1g carb and 22g of protein! Can't wait for phase 2 to start, I'm hatting yoga!
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-07-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yoga kills me too... its just so slow!

Just started using the tyson "grilled & ready" frozen chicken breast. Stuff is pretty good and very easy to make. I think each breast is about 3oz but still use the food scale to make sure. Starting week 2 of diet and I fell off a little bit yesterday since I could not resist some fresh brisket at my in laws house. I am not sure if that really got me off track too much but have been trying to avoid red meat.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Well 60 days tommorrow! I have been feeling great lately and have really started to tighten up. I can see muscles now in places I didn't even know I had muscles. We will see what happens though because we are going to vegas for a couple days for our aniversary and I am throwing the diet out the window for those few days. Should be interesting eating and drinking for a few days but you gotta live it up sometime.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-08-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Congrats Mike 60 days is huge and I am already crying about the diet only 8 days in! You do your progess pictures?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-08-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'm going to start over from the beginning next Monday. Back is feeling pretty good again and I'll probably take it a little easier this time around. I'm still rockin' the diet. Congrats on everyone's success. Wish me luck.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-09-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
Hey! I was just skimming through this discussion, and I wanted to suggest the pre-cooked grilled chicken from Costco. Never tried the canned, so I can't compare flavor, but we use the Costco double bag for everything, salads, tacos etc.... its not too expensive either.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
Anyone else having an issue with their Sodium level? After eating chicken 3 times a day my sodium levels are well over the suggested 2400mg per day. Anyone that has leaned out following the diet plan let me know if this should be a concern for me please.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-11-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I must admit, I never even look at the sodium levels!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
When I competed I never worried about sodium until the week before shows. Now I know you're not competing but if you want to look good for a certian day or two just lower your sodium the last couple days. Otherwise I wouldn't be to worried about it unless you have hypertension and or it runs in the family. Typically those following a good diet like this one are going to be drinking lots of fluid, certainly enough to flush excess sodium out.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.. nice to know I dont really need to worry about it. Coca Cola was a bad vice for me and have supplemented it with a few sprite zero's here and there. Finally getting used to the taste a bit I guess. I am having 8-10 glasses of water daily as well so hopefully that will help flush out the sodium. Just about two weeks in and hope I will see some changes by the end of week 4. I am wondering though, if this is the cutting phase am I going to gain what I have lost once the protien and carb portions go to 40% for month 2 & 3?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-11-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Switching from regular soda to diet soda is one of the easiest things to do that will improve your nutrition (not that diet provides any nutrition). Two months on the diet stuff and you won't even want to go back. I can't stand regular Pepsi now.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
I miss my redbulls the most! I usually just drink the sugar free ones anyways so maybe I will have one after I make the full 30 days on the phase 1 diet.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-11-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Monster Absolutely Zero is awesome!! No calories and no carbs. I highly recommend it!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-12-2011, 7:30 PM Reply   
Just got back from vegas and boy did I blow the diet up!!! What are you gonna do, in vegas for your aniversary you can't eat canned chicken right. Well it was three days of lattes and filets. Good stuff, but I am ready to get back on the diet. The food tasted good but I definately did not feel as good after eating. Maybe I am just crazy but I was missing my protien shakes. I like the food schedule I have while on the diet and I think that is one of the most important parts of the diet. One thing I did do pretty well in vegas was not drink too much. I mean I had some wine and cocktail or two but nothing too crazy.
Really looking forword to a work out. I haven't done anything since tuesday. I am ready to bring it!

One last thing if you go to vegas and decide to dump the diet and have some extra cash go to the SW steakhouse at the Wynn. It was one of the best meals I have ever had. Service was great food was amazing. That was worth going off the diet. Unfortunately a couple of the other places we ate at were probably not worth breaking the diet for.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-13-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Mike, good to know about SW Steakhouse! I'm actually heading to vegas soon as well for my anniversary. I'm going to take my protein shakes and a few of the DVD's and try to do at least a little each morning, I hope!

Keith, if you want to lose more weight on phase 2 do not switch your %. Leave them at the 50, 30, 20, just increase your cals a little. Maybe 100 -250 cals, depending on what the book says. You don't have to switch the %'s if you don't want or it does not meet what your goals are. Also by week for you will see results in the pics, measurements and how your cloths fit. Everyone has different weight loss but everyone says and I have as well seen alot of change in my photos, measurements, and I have already how to go out and by new cloths. i was starting to look like MC Hammer back in the day with baggy ass pants.
Through phase 1 I lost just over 11 pounds, just over 7% body fat. I have been on alot of forums and peoples weight loss for the first month is all over the place, however, most agree that the last 30 days you see the most results. I am extremely happy with my results thus far.

Also I have to say I did another diet prior to starting P90x without a break in-between and my over all weight loss for both is 31 pounds!!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
There is a school of thought that artificial sweetners still cause a similar biophysical resonse as natural sugars. This is in regards to the typical insuoin spike that follows a sugary snack. When we consume sugars are insulin spikes and nutrients ingest are more likely to be stored as body fat. Well its believed that even though the sweetners are fake and don't have calories they may still trick the mind into releasing insulin as it believes you have just ingested sugar. I'm not so sure I believe this but just thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought. Even when I was competing I didn't cut these out especially as it pertained to protein powders.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
Well I guess I am more trying to lose body fat more than anything else. I am 6ft around 178lbs so not a really big dude to begin with. I am just wanting some definitiion similar to the 1st picture posted in this thread. I would love to add some mass but am worried with eating large quanities of calories that it will just go to the my stomache and then I would have to worry about working all that off again. I will post a picture of my 30 day progress. Its nice to feel like I have an idea of what to do in the gym and what to eat currently although sometimes I am leary about the protien bars. SPrite zero has been helping me stay away from regular coca cola though so I am happy it exists. I am sure it might give me a sugar spike and hope it does not hamper any progess I feel I should be making.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
Keith, check out http://xcellentfitness.com/ and his coach's corner. He goes over alot of what you are looking for. Hope it helps.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
Thanks Bear will give it a look. Its nice to have a place to talk about this diet and see results from others. Looks like the 2nd slice of cheese I had yesterday put my fat at almost 30%! Well at least I know what was the culprit and can limit it from now on.

Last edited by kme3113; 03-16-2011 at 2:46 PM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-25-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Keith, dont' be afraid to eat...eating to little can be just as bad as eating to much. I'm 6'3" and hover around 185-187 with sub %10 body fat ( hydrostatic tested) . I eat roughly 2800-3000 calories a day ( on avg) . It's a crap load of food ( clean food) lol. I focus mostly on my proten intake ( 250-275 g a day with minimal supplementation) When I'm hitting thtat number on a consitent basis I feel the best. Post P90 this is a pretty good cook book
http://www.anaboliccooking.com/
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Any suggestions for good butter substitutes? I miss my butter!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Today is day 75. Still feeling strong. Have stayed at the 40-40-20 ratios. Did 140 pull ups in legs and back last night. Ready to push hard for the next two weeks. I have decided to stay on the program for another month after the 90 days because that will take me up to my vacation. Food wise everything has been pretty solid. I have eaten out a little more then I did at the begining but still keeping everything in the ratios. Dave have you healed up enough to start back on the program?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
Keith, dont' be afraid to eat...eating to little can be just as bad as eating to much. I'm 6'3" and hover around 185-187 with sub %10 body fat ( hydrostatic tested) . I eat roughly 2800-3000 calories a day ( on avg) . It's a crap load of food ( clean food) lol. I focus mostly on my proten intake ( 250-275 g a day with minimal supplementation) When I'm hitting thtat number on a consitent basis I feel the best. Post P90 this is a pretty good cook book
http://www.anaboliccooking.com/
Will have to take a look at that cooking site. I'm 6'2" and 185 to 179 at 8% BF when training. I've been doing a SlowCarb diet for about 6 weeks now, I still have problems getting over 160 grams of protein a day. My natural tenancy is to hit 100 to 120 grams. I know I feel a lot better and stay healthier when I hit 150+ grams of protein a day. Been doing a lot of Egg Whites/Egg Beaters/Best of Eggs these days to increase my protein an other 60 to 80 grams some days. I'm dropping about one pound a week currently, and my strength is really coming up. So ramping up protein and cutting all of the crap out of my diet has made huge difference.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yup, I started again this week and I'm feeling good so far!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
I start pushing play on Monday - fit test Sunday..

Stoked.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2011, 1:56 AM Reply   
I'm a kenpo workout away from finishing week 2. I feel your pain in having to stop Dave. I got really really sick for about two weeks at the end of week 3, so I took a break until after spring break ended, and started it back up as soon as I came back to school.

I'm still not following the diet, but I'm seeing changes in the number reps and weight since the last time I started it, so I am doing something right.

What do you all think of chocolate milk as a post workout recovery drink? I've read that it's just as effective as something like Gatorade's recovery drink, but I want to hear some opinions from people on this forum.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
starting week 5 currently. Had a birthday dinner Saturday night with some drinks so watched everything Saturday morning then had some Mexican food Saturday night and went overboard a bit so have to hit the gym hard this week! Adam - I would love to eat more but honestly after 5 chicken breasts a day that I eat now I am not sure I could eat another one. Any suggestions on bringing up my calories with something filling that is not chicken? I have 2-3 protien bars a day or interchange a protien shake with water. So I feel like my protien intake is good but keeping the carbs and fat down is fairly tough with my love of cheese. I will take a pic today to post of my 30 day progress. I hope with a picture some of you can let me know other ways to accomplish what I am trying to do.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
^^ Fish is a good alt if you like it....depending on what ratios your trying to stay at it can be hard. fat has almost twice as many caolries per gram as carb/protien. I always reach for all nat PB when I need extra calories. I have never been a fan of very low fat diets. ( low saturated fat, yes) or for that matter very low carb. I have and will carb cycle every once in a while.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-28-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
Well this weekend a little rough. We had a little minor family emergency. I was stuck at the hospital and we needed food. Ended up going to Perkos (not my first choice). Did all my workouts this weekend and got my mile down to 6:18 before sprints. One thing I have noticed is my flexibility has improved a whole bunch. Which is great considering I only do the yoga during recovery weeks. I am excited to wakeboard and see if it makes grabbing the board easier.

One thing this diet has done for me is turn me into a food snob. If I am gonna eat something that is gonna be bad for me it better taste dam good (SW Steakhouse)! Perkos did not meet those requirements. Only two weeks left till I am through the 90 days. Feeling super strong!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-28-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Started Day 1 today..

I was so spooked by friends and reading the beachbody forum about gassing out in round 2 that I went too light in round 1. I was able to hit all of the same reps and same weights in round 2 as in round 1..

Time to crank it up next time and go to failure. Stoked to be part of it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-28-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
That's better than what I did. I went too hard and pulled a muscle in my back and had to take a few weeks off. Now I'm in week 2 for my second time!
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
I seem to have a shoulder pain on chest days with all the pushups. I had been switching them for flat bar or dumbell bench instead but since today was my first day of round 2 I figured I would do the movements that were required. Noticed a slight pain in my right shoulder again after the workout today. Not sure if my pushup form is off or what but with the dumbless I seems to not have the issue. Anybody else running into this problem?
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-28-2011, 9:47 PM Reply   
p90x is outstanding if you can stay with it I stayed with it for 60 days and lost 30 lbs it is a great workout to do at home
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2011, 11:29 PM Reply   
sooo...nothing to do w/ diet, but this seems to be a pretty much all-inclusive p90 thread so thought I'd ask. First 3 weeks solid. Only missed the first week xenpo workout, other than that, haven't missed. This week is my "rest" week. I failed so far. My kids spring break so I just "rested" and did nothing. Well, I guess we walked a lot, but no xenpo, yoga, core syn etc. I will prob do those 3 over the next 3 days. My question is should I extend my "rest" week another week or just pick back up into the workouts in week 5 on Monday?

I guess another Q, anybody switched up the the workouts to work around other activities? I'm trying to figure out how to do all the workouts but still keep the strength and energy I need to play football. We were practicing on Saturdays and I did my first leg workout on Friday. Even though its pretty basic, my legs were no good on Saturday. So I am trying to juggle not doing legs before practice or games, prob don't want to do plyo before either either. But don't want to do plyo back to back w/ legs either.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-10-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Starting today. fitness test kicked my butt! I tried to follow the Team Beachbody meal plan but went grocery shopping and just the produce section alone was almost over half of the cart. so in my discouragement, i decided to just choose a one week meal plan that is about 1900-2010 calories to start. I am 5" 9", 135

Meal plan- Calories
Shakeology w/8 oz fat free milk - 230

Snack #1-
Strawberry-Ricotta Breakfast Wrap- 390
1/3 cup strawberries
1 6" Whole Wheat Tortilla
2/3 cup Ricotta Cheese-fat free
2 tbsp Walnut's
6 fl oz Fat free milk

Lunch-
Chicken, Mandarin & Spinach Salad 500
3 cups Spinach
1/4 onions, red
4 ounces Chicken
1/2 cup Croutons
2 tbsp
2 tbsp salad dressing-low fat- any flavor

Snack #2
Tuna on Rye 500
1/2 Celery stalk-fresh
2 1/2 tbsp Mayonnaise- low fat
4 ounce Tuna-in water
2 pieces Rye Bread
1 cup Melon-Cantelope or Honey Dew?
3 Strawberries

Dinner- consists of a (4) portion meal- 620
Turkey Parmesan
1 1/2 tbsp bead crumbs, plain
1/8 tsp Parsley, dried
1/8 tsp Oregano, dried
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
4 1/2 ounce Turkey Cutlet, Raw
1 tbsp Liquid egg substitute
2 2/3 tsp Extra Virgin Olive oil

Zucchini
1/2 tsp Olive oil
1 2/3 cups Fresh Zucchini

Spaghetti w/Garlic & Oil
1 ounce Angel Hair Spaghetti Pasta
1 tsp Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Olive oil

Cherry Ice Cream Sunday
1/3 cup Cherries, red, unsweetened, frozen
1/3 cup Ice Cream, Vanilla, 98% fat free
1/2 tsp Sugar-Free, Fat Free Chocolate Syrup Equals- 2,240

And I am doing the P90X Classic Doubles Lean Phase 1 (Classic)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2011, 6:15 AM Reply   
one week meal plan that is about 1900-2010 calories to start. I am 5" 9", 135

doing the doubles lean program...are you trying to lose weight????? 135 is very light. your easily only netting 1100-1300 colries/day if your exercising.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
I kind of limped to the finish line because I had to go to vegas for business. Ate out at some nice places. Drank every night and didn't work out. Started back up again yesterday with the workouts. Also back on the diet and already feel better. In some ways I think the break was good for me. I have a lot of energy and missed the diet. I am ready to BRING IT! P120X here I come!!!
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-11-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
Jeremy I wouldn't extend it . The whole point is to NOT do any resistance training which you didn't do which confusses the musclesnext week since it's different workouts. During the recovery weeks they just want core work and cardio. As long as u keep pushin play that's the main thing. Bring it baby
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
Can someone with the P90X recipe book please post up the recipe for the energy bars (or whatever they call them) ? I cant remember all of the ingredients or how to make them and I seem to have lost my book.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2011, 12:07 AM Reply   
Good Call.. I've lost my book as well. also, if anyone could post the basic ratios (carb protein, etc) that would be helpful too.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2011, 6:22 AM Reply   
jae, shoot me an email awcurtis@epco.com

I have it in pdf...it's large and in multiple files.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
1st phase - 50% protien, 30% carbs, 20% fats
2nd and 3rd phase - 40% protien, 40% carbs, 20% fats.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
3rd phase is actually 30 Protein 50 carb and 20 fat. Also I have been doing my pull ups with my legs up and talk about core and ab strength. If you guys are killing it, you should try it.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-14-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Well I am done with my second time through the program. This time I was a little less religious with the workouts, but better with diet. Diet is soooo key to getting the results.

First picture is from Day 1 around a year ago, second is after 82 days I think, last pic is from yesterday. Pretty happy with how it turned out, this last time in phase 3 I did doubles (cardio X in the AM) for almost half of the phase, that sure speeds up the fat loss. I ended up loosing around 48 pounds when I thought I only had to loose 15. Seeing the change is way addictive!

Day 1

Day 82

Current
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
whoops sorry about the mis info on phase 3 thanks for correcting me Mike. I was worried that it was not 100% correct but did not have my book right in front of me. Congrats on the transformation John! Looks like you have had some really good results and thats all it takes to keep pushing play!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
Good job John, its amazing how much younger you look being thinner in the face.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-14-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Nice job, John!! Congrats on a lot of hard work! I'm in my first recovery week right now. Core syn is no "rest." At least stretch was easy today. I almost feel like I've cheated after that one!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-14-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
I feel younger also! I am just really excited for this wake season being in so much better shape. Wont mind hanging out in the boat or on the beach with JB version 2.0!

I am doing a bod pod test to get my body fat % next week. I did it before this round just after the holidays and was a little over 16% (gained a lot of fat and lost muscle after sitting around post kidney surgery). Should be interesting to see where I am at now. I never gave these things much thought previously, but am pretty into it at this point.

What do you guys do after your rounds during the summer to stay in shape? I dont have the time to do the full program with riding and golf, but dont want to loose the muscle.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
John...IMO maint is much easier than getting to a point your happy with. You'll definately be able to scale back the exercises and keep the results. You'll also be able to slack a bit in the diet...just dont' go crazy and fall totally off the wagon. I still...even after 3 years, incorporate alot of the p90 moves in my normal workout. I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week and try and stick with the diet and still maintina a sub 10% body fat ( hydro static tested). If I were to guess your prolly around 12-14% in the last pic. Great job by the way!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-25-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
did my 12 week check in this morning. dropped 12lbs (9 fat and 3 muscle), which works out to be about 30% decrease in body fat for me (from 14.x% to 10.x%).

i've done any lifting or cross training for about 3 weeks due to shoulder injury that is realy bugging me.

will take some time off, heal up and then cycle back on. would like to drop an other 4lbs by July.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
I just started Insanity: The Asylum today. Wow this is definitly the program for wakeboarding. With Vertical Plyo this should do nothing but improve everyones wake jump. With the added weight resistance training this has become the Ultimate program!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
I will say I have slacked on the diet a little bit on the weekends the last few weeks. I am not happy about it but I am on day like 105 or something like that. I haven't really notice the diet affecting my workouts but I do notice it in the way I feel when I eat some crap. One thing the program has done has killed my drinking habit. If I have more then two drinks I am drunk and get a hang over. I am done with that.
Gonna try and push hard with the work outs and the diet for two and half more weeks then I will be on vacation and just gonna wakeboard and eat some brownie sundaes for a few days.

Hope everyone is still pushing play it has really made me feel a lot better and stronger!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
@ Dave how's goin after the back injury? Just curious cuz I killed it through week 5, then jacked up my back last week. I was laid up for a day, then very limited movement the rest of the week. Started feeling better this past Sat and Sunday, so figured it was time to "push play" again, but there's no way. I tried my first pullup and pain shot down my leg... So frustrated. Gonna try to stay limited this week, then try again next week. should I go back to the very beginning, or pick up in week 6? Or maybe just start this phase over?
Old     (admin)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-26-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
I was in my third week when that happened and after re-pulling if after 3 days rest and again after a week of rest, I ended up taking about three weeks off. At that point, I just started the whole program over again. I don't think I would have done that if I was in week 6. I'd probably take at least a few weeks off and then start the second phase over again. However, I did stick to the diet throughout the break.

I actually just finished week 5 this morning. Still sweating and getting sore. Lost about 12 pounds since the very beginning and my shorts are all falling off (just like the kids wear), but I don't see a whole lot of change when I look in the mirror. Seven more weeks to go!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
Dave, I didnt really start to see change until the end of phase 2 and really in phase 3. I did loose weight, but the muscle started to show around that time. The bod pod came back. I am around 10.2 for body fat. I tend to hold my weight in my chest, so I think this accurate. This last time I lost around 35% of my body fat and decreased overall weight by 10%.
Keep it going boys!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
John

Good job sticking with it you got some great results.

I just want to know in a year of working out did you ever wash that green towel behind you, that thing is got to be pretty rank by now. LOL
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
Ha! Thats really funny that it is there in all of the pics. I never noticed that.
I took the mantra of a college roomate. "I use it to dry of a clean body, why would it ever get dirt?" JK
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
anybody using recovery drink? P90 recovery or other? thoughts on taste, performance, price... In in the past I was buying Endurox but then they came out with their "new improved flavor" and they weren't nearly as good. Lately, I've been doing just plain chocolate milk but sometimes chocolate milk isn't very refreshing after a workout. Haven't tried P90 recovery drink yet...
Old     (admin)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-03-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
I use the recovery drink. I didn't like it at first, but now I love it. Not sure how the happened. It's kind of a creamy orange flavor that grows on you.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
I use the r/r drink (I'm a P90X junkie). Amazon has something comparable and it's cheaper. The first version of the recovery drinked tasted better but they updated it to get some of sugars and stuff out of it. Still tastes good but not as good as the original.

I think some type of recovery drink is a must with these programs. Your body definitly needs it.

Off to do some 30/15
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-16-2011, 11:40 PM Reply   
Phase 3 starts in about five hours for me. Lost about 15 lbs so far, which is more than I thought I had to lose. Still working on the spare tire (although it's smaller now). Still not seeing much bulk, but I'll hit it hard these next five weeks and see what we can come up with. Wish me luck!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
I am still pushing play. We were supposed to go on vacation this week but it got pushed back two weeks. So I decided just to work through the extra two weeks. I did slack on the diet a little bit. Nothing too bad, just went out to dinner a couple times. I am back on the diet solid starting last week and for the next two weeks. I am really happy with my results. I can honestly say I am in the best shape of my life. It is crazy how many people ask me if I lost weight. But my weight has stayed the same. I have just gained a lot of muscle.

PLYO later today!!!!!

When I do go on vacation I am eating some feakin brownie sundaes!!! I feel I have earned it.