Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    wallystyle            02-25-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Hey anyone. I'm looking to buy a new pair of Deafcon IV's (NOT the reference, but the original IV's). Any advise? Are these worth the $$$$????? Thanks!

Bryan
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-26-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Personally i'd go with the new NVS addiction speakers for that kind of money.

If you don't mind me asking - what kind of price have you been quoted?
Old    wallystyle            02-26-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I found them for $899 with free shipping. What do you think?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-26-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
Hmmm, what you need to remeber is that they are utilizing car audio components. The Kicker drivers they use are very good but they do need plenty of power to get bumping.

They are 75 watt speakers so you will be running like 300 watts on your tower RMS. you'll be able to hear it while riding but it won't be of any massively great quality.

i'd think you'd be better with a single NVS Entity 808. it holds a horm tweeter which is going to be far more efficient at throwing the highs out to you. but Duane on here will be able to give you more info than me.

Visit NVS1.net for a little more info
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-26-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
would suggest the newer skylon series with image dynamic drivers for the same or a little more (horns go a little more)..

the kicker isnt bad stuff, its just that the image dynamic in the newer skylon is SOTA (state of the art) and its the same price or around
Old    wallystyle            02-26-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Thanks for all your input. I thought that the price of $899.00 was a steal for the older deafcon IV's. I guess I will look at the newer deafcons with HLCD technology or the NVS speakers. Thanks, again.

Bryan
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-26-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
The newer Defcon's are much lighter too right? Didn't the old ones weigh 70 pounds? The new ones are much less.
Old    wallystyle            02-26-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I believe the new deafcon IV's are lighter weighing in at 16 lbs per and the old ones were much heavier. So, what is the vote; NVS Addiction/ 1010's or Deafcon IV Reference????
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2005, 12:40 AM Reply   
The old Deafcon IV's weigh 66 pounds per pair. The new Deafcon IV Reference weigh 32 pounds per pair. The Deafcon's went on a serious diet in 2005 and sound 10 times better than the 2004 model. They moved from Kicker components and standard tweeters to pro audio grade Image Dynamics mid-bass and HLCD (horns).

I don't think you can go wrong with either NVS or the new Skylon Deafcon Reference series if you are aiming for incredible sound at 80 feet. Besides the SPL at 80 feet, other factors to consider:

1) rigidity of the wakeboard tower considering the total speaker system weight up there. I don't know the weight of a pair of NVS systems but the Skylon's are really light this year at 32 pounds.
2) style and fit and finish (very much an personal preference)
3) cone material for a marine application (depending on use, paper cones can be a problem - I couldn't use paper cones on my boat)
4) finish options (carbon fiber looks really cool to me - again personal preference)
5) I love LED down lights to add a reddish ambiance inside the boat (I know - it doesn't add to the sound)
6) Impedence. A system wired at 2 ohms (like the Deafcon) can make an amplifier put out twice the watts RMS if the amp can handle 2 ohms.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/skylon_wakeboard_tower_speakers/skylon_deafcon_iv_ac112g4

Mike

(Message edited by wakeside1 on February 27, 2005)

(Message edited by wakeside1 on February 27, 2005)
Old    wallystyle            02-27-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
THANKS!!!