Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-04-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
We are taking one of James friends out for the first time today. "tis the season for teaching newbies. What am I missing on my list or what do others do to aid teaching first time wakesurfers? Excuse the formatting - I cut 'n pasted from notepad. :-)

1) Proper PFD

While it may be legal to NOT use a PFD in your area, when first learning it's much easier
to float using a PFD. By not losing energy to treading water, the use of a PFD greatly
simplifies teaching folks to wakesurf. Also, the safety considerations are obvious.

2) Determine proper orientation

If the wakesurfer doesn't know which foot forward they normally ride, do the push test.
Also, don't attempt to teach a newbie to ride backside, always start frontside. Ask this before
taking them out for the first time.

3) Use a proper equipment

It's easy to use your wakeboard handle, but this is unsafe. Make sure that you use a
proper wakesurf handle.

Use a properly sized board. Don't attempt to use a 4' board to teach a 275 pound newbie.

Use a moderate wake. Huge, steep wakes can prove intimidating to newbies.

4) Explain safety considerations

a) If you feel out of control dive away from rope, board and boat.
b) Never coil the rope
c) The board can catch flight, stay under water until you are sure the board has landed (a few seconds)
d) If you're tired it's time to take a break

5) Get the wakesurfer used to the pull

Just like in wakeboard instruction, pull the rider VERY slowly in the water so that they can get
the feel for the water pushing the board up against their feet. Concentrate on flipping the board
up. Many people try to hold the board with one hand and the rope with the other. It's BEST to
try and teach: both hands on the rope and a slow pull will hold the board against their feet.

6) Pull up

Often times new wakesurfers try to stand too soon, explain that they can ride and hold onto the rope
while staying in a crouched position. Also new wakesurfers attempt to throw the rope too soon.
Concentrate on getting slack in the rope.

7) Troubleshooting

If the wakesurfer is drifting back and then racing forward after climbing the wake only to bury the nose,
they are too far back on the board. Have them slide forward a bit.

If the wakesurfer appears to be leaning to one side of the board, have them move towards the other
rail.

Often times newbies ride out into the flats, have them find a focal point on the boat, such as the
rear corner and explain to them to try and keep the nose of the board pointed at that location.

If the wakesurfer can't keep up with the boat, but isn't affected by one of the problems above
moving forward and towards the wake will allow the board to travel faster.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
I would also teach them the concepts of accelerating by pushing on the front foot and braking by pushing on the rear foot. Also cover their head with their arms it they are worried about the board hitting them.
Old    surfdad            05-04-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks RG - I forgot the obvious!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-04-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
#2 Spell out which foot forward after the push means which stance.

#3 provide guidelines board length vs. weight and quality of wake.

#4 of this is for general consumption you should expand on safety. Type of boat and CO risks.

#6 - The tower helps. The height of the tower angles the rope providing lift out of the water.

#7 Wakeboarders tend to be heal-heavy. When they fall they head away from the wake. I try to tell wakeboarders to put more weight on the balls of their feet. I also encourage beginners to move toes closer to the inside edge of the board.

Ride with an athletic stance.

Right in general if the surfer is in the pocket but can't stay in it tell the rider to move forward on the board. The IS logo is a nice reference for beginner foot placement. If they get too close to the boat I'd speed up the boat.

For control for beginners, lean forward to speed up the board and back to slow down. Lean forward and back to climb up and down the wake. More advanced beginners (unlikely?) may shuffle forward and back for speed adjustment.

This should be a published AWSA document.

We could also publish quiver guidance. Then every time someone asks what board we could point them to an AWSA web site and reference document.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
"We could also publish quiver guidance. Then every time someone asks what board we could point them to an AWSA web site and reference document."

I tried to get this started with the Ideal Surfboard Quiver thread but there was very little participation with this thread. I had hoped to point people to this thread when they ask what board to buy.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-05-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Right, that's what I meant.
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-24-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Okay speaking of newbies... i'm NEW to the wakesurf world. And feel a bit silly for asking this, but what is a "darkside" wave? Hahaha... I know what a darkside is in skateboarding, but that's a whole other sport! I ride goofy footed, if that helps any. Thanks in advance!
Old    surfdad            06-24-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Slang for starboard wake. Port side is regular. Starboard side is darkside.
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-01-2008, 12:05 AM Reply   
thanks jeff! sorry for getting back to ya so late! i rarely have time to get onto wakeworld, but i appreciate the info! :-)
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-18-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
For number six above, I usually tell newbies to "stand" right away. I define standing as being on the board in a compact or small position, which means they do not actually stand up. The standing mostly eliminates a beginner from a hard pull.

I start beginners on a generic surf style board, which are easier to get up on and pretty stable.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-18-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
so is there a thread about ideal surfboards? if so point me there before i ask about the lf venture :-)
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-18-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
I tell people to use more of a snowboarding stance than a wakeboarding stance,but that's only helpful if you know how to snowboard.