Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    wakintexas            04-28-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
I asked my dealer about a tower for my 2000 Bayliner 175, he said that the glass was not thick enough to mount a tower too. What have yall heard about this, is it a problem and if so how can it be resolved?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-28-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
first off, it sounds like adding a tower would void your hull warranty if you have any left. so if you're OK w/that -

it's a nasty job, but you have to build up the 'glass on the underside in the mount areas to about 1/2" thick, in as large an area as possible around the mount. you may also 'glass in metal backing plates, but DO NOT IGNORE THE DEALER'S ADVICE
here's an example of a Skyjac universal on a 2000 Capri 2050:
http://skyjac.com/Boat_Tower_2001_small.jpg

email me offline for excellent pricing on Skyjac products.}
Old    wakintexas            04-28-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Im guessing you would recommend taking it to a professional to get the extra glass and/or metal put in?

man this sucks we were about to order out monster tower!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-28-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Jamie,
Try this recent link it might give you some alternate ideas?
http://www.wakeworld.com/mb/discus/messages/3183/64559.html?1051558937
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-29-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
if you've never fiberglassed before, this wouldn't be a good way to learn. :-)
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-29-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
I'd say re-enforce it properly and get the tower
you want! If you beef it up right, I don't see
why you couldn't have the Monster tower you want.
Look, every project has its obstacles (am I right fellas??!!) Just deal with it and go forward!!!!!
Old    riverfreak            04-29-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
don't listen to that crap, take a look at any boat, the fiberglass isn't 1/2 inch thick....just use some backing, whats the difference in sitting on the FG and having pressure at 4 different points? use backing to spread out the stress....take a look at jgstools.com towers
Old    ffejtable            04-29-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 bayliner 185S and the fiberglass on my hull is probably no thicker than yours. I put on a barewest mini last 4th of july weekend and havent had any hull issues, YET. I believe the barewest came with backing plates, but I am also using a small piece of plywood in all 4 places as well.

Bayliner is even making towers an option on their 2003 models (maybe not the 175, however). Perhaps they have reinforced these area during manufacturing to allow this, but i wouldnt be so sure about that...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-29-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Riverfreak - check the deck on any quality inboard ski boat and then tell me it's not close to 1/2" thick.
Old    riverfreak            04-29-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
ok smarta$$, let me dust off the micrometer.... excuse me I should have said "most" boats
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-29-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
rowr.
Old    wakintexas            04-29-2003, 11:32 PM Reply   
dude this sucks, my parents shot down the tower since the my dad thinks the fiberglassing and the tower will void the warranty, but instead they are giving me money to but a new board.
Old    leggester            04-30-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
It will void the warranty.