Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Some people might call this a teaching moment so pay attention.

I think you should stick with IT and leave free argument and debate to the rest of us, you have no comprehension of logic, rhetoric and apparently the english language... <-ad hominem or against the man, an argument made against your opponent instead of his point, similar to almost every one of your posts in this thread. I can cite all of them if you wish me to further illustrate the point.

dic·tate/ˈdiktāt/
Verb:
Lay down authoritatively; prescribe: "attempts to dictate policy";.

The USDA guidelines come from an authoritative agency, therefor attack ads or instruction from the government on consumption of food products is the government dictating how those products should be treated or how the government would like them treated.

No need to respond...

Last edited by norcalrider; 02-06-2012 at 9:36 PM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2012, 3:12 AM Reply   
Where is the authority to dictate? What are the ramifications of not obeying? There is none. It's called education.

Here your own proof... "how the government would like them treated."

Take your own advice and don't respond.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-07-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
John, there do not have to be ramifications of disobedience for something to be dictated. And when attack campaigns, especially those absent regulatory authority, come from the primary regulator of products that fits the definition perfectly of trying to dictate policy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
Mik, since I can't dictate anything to you let me offer you some education about the difference.

Dictate - The govt dictates that Americans abstain from using marijuana.
Educate - The govt uses the food pyramid to educate the public.
Dictate - Local water restrictions dictate when you can water your lawn.
Educate - The municipality recommends low flow toilets to conserve water.
Both - The govt dictates that cigarette makers educate the public about the hazards of smoking through warning labels.

Apparently misusing language to distort reality is something you are accustomed to doing, but it doesn't impress me.

Although this guy might be proud of you...

Last edited by fly135; 02-07-2012 at 8:50 AM.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-07-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I know you're hung up on the definition and use of a word but you're wrong. The word is properly used. There doesn't have to be enforceable action for something to be dictated. You've lost if this is your defense. Good to see you've resorted to the old playbook of attacking your opponent.

Remember, I'm neither a reep or a dem so I'm not sure who you've posted. Sorry I don't fit into your neat little boxes.

Please note the simple interweb search where educational guidelines dictate policies...
Attached Images

Last edited by norcalrider; 02-07-2012 at 9:12 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
OK Mik, I see your source of confusion. You can choose to give authority to dictate. For example, if your job is to establish a menu for a nursing home you can choose to give authority to the Dept of Agriculture nutritional guidelines to dictate your menu selection. But no one would choose to give authority while complaining they don't want to do it unless there are psychological issues involved.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-07-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Let's step back a second. Answer a question for me. Is the FDA and USDA an authority on food, health, and nutritional information? Do these agencies also promulgate the governing regulations that farmers and food producers must adhere to in order to bring their goods to market in the USA?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have a better idea... Let's stop with the word games.

I don't care much about fat people. The only motivation I have is to reduce healthcare costs on society of which I am a part of. The first question is why do I want the health insurance companies to dictate my health? Is it going to save me money? Maybe some. But health insurance companies can only rely on profits as a percentage of total costs. Evidence of that it the recent use of the 80% rule where 80% of revenues must be spend on heathcare.

IOW health insurance companies have no motivation to reduce health care costs because the higher the cost the more 20% represents. So allowing them to dictate my health through penalties is only is likely to shift a small amount of cost. OTOH, improving health by education (in your words dictating) could reduce the cost of medicare, medicaid, and health care services in general. In that case tax revenues increase because healthcare costs are decreased and govt funded healthcare programs save money.

Also, I believe the FDA should stick to regulating sanitary manufacturing and ensuring the contents of a product are as stated. In addition they should provide information as to the govt's position on the efficacy and safety of products. Beyond that I don't think they should have any power. I'm not of the opinion the govt should be dictating, but I have no problem with the govt conveying information through education or toothless dictating.