Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-22-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Well, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to play basketball with the guys from work Wednesday morning, colide with another guy, and boom ruptured achilles. Now I am having surgery on Tuesday. Doc says 6 months until I'm back to 100%. Last year, wakeboarding season was cut short by whiplash at the end of the season, and this year, it's getting cut short at the beginning. Hopefully, the 6 month thing is conservative.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
6 months - that is BS. Didn't Seth Enslow's doctor tell him he wouldn't be able to ride for like a year or 2?(after he ripped off his face) but he was out riding 2 weeks later! I think they tend to underestimate us adrenaline junkies

You'll be fine...(sucks though...sorry to hear about that.)
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-22-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
ripped off his face? havent heard about this one?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
That was a while ago - he did that crazy jump and landed way long and his chin hit the bar and he ended up needing a bunch of titanium to reconstruct his face (so I guess the doctor sort of removed his face, re-constructed it, then put his face back on...)

At least that is how I remember it...
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-22-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Picture of his scar:

http://images.themoviedb.org/profiles/6328/Seth_Enslow_profile.jpg

Seth Enslow had a movie come out that showed his crashed called Seth-The Hard Way. It was a pretty good movie back in the day. He over cleared a record breaking jump and crush his face on his triple clamp.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QKt4B-1WTo
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-22-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
After seeing that scar, I will never complain about any injury ever...I mean ever.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-22-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
ha, ha... yeah, that's pretty gnarly stuff.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
That's it, Mark. My brother has that video! Great stuff. That dude is balls...

( me..., not so much...)

(Message edited by lifetimewarranty on January 22, 2010)
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
I did a pretty good partial tear on my right achilles years ago. Took a year for me to stop noticing it on a daily bases. Still hurts and gets stiff to this day. Tore mine wakeboarding.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-22-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
You will be lucky if you can wakeboard in 6 mos with that injury.

Most likely this year is done for you. I think you doc was being optimistic about walking. Boarding will be an entirely different animal.

Best wishes and heal quickly. Dont rush that injury. It will bite back.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-22-2010, 10:35 PM Reply   
my uncle was down for about 7 months from a torn achilles. that was just for walking normal. took almost a year just to ride his mountain bike up and down the street again. good luck. hope it heels faster than that though.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
I am opting for the surgery because of the faster recovery time. The doc that I am using did my knee 5 years ago, and he really does good work. Now I hope that 6 months is realistic. Doc did say that I will be splinted for 6 to 8 weeks, and then the splint comes off, and I should be able to walk without crutches. I hope he's right.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
After reading a bunch this morning about my injury, it sounds like I can be walking without the aid of crutches in 10 days. This is good news. I want back in the game. I have saved a bunch of links, and on Monday if my surgeon doesn't think or know of the new procedures, I will cancel surgery with him, and fly to Ohio to have the surgery done there.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I tore my right achilles completely in 2004. It sucked, far worse than braking a bone.

I didn't walk for three months and it took a year to get back to anything close to normal.

Even today I don't have the flexability or strength I used to.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions...I know it is tough to get info.

Good luck.

T
Old     (jesse1983)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
My sister sliced hers when a whiteboard fell off of a door her freshman year of college. (Really bad luck.) She tried to rush the recovery and wound up tearing it about 3 months into it. The skin didn't close right after the second surgery, which resulted in a skin graft. It's been 2.5 years and she can now surf behind the boat, but isn't willing to try anything her feet are strapped into in fear of hurting it again.

DON'T RUSH THE RECOVERY! It isn't worth it.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       01-25-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I tore mine and had it repaired in March, was riding in July, hitting the wake at the end of the season (September here in Canada). Just listen to your surgeon, get a good physiotherapist and work your butt off.
Old     (dcdave56)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-25-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Yah, I hate to tell you but 6 months is being nice, both of my friends that had this injury took a year to be normal again...
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-28-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have had my surgery. The first night was a little rough, but it's been pretty good since. Doc still thinks 6 months, so we'll see. I am supposed to be in a walking boot in a couple of weeks.