Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
This question has been haunting me for quite some time now. Last year one of my friends was always talking about how fun wakeboarding was, He invited me out to go and I was hooked. I picked up my first board and bindings, Ronix Vault 144 and cabal bindings. This set up seemed good for me the price was right and it felt good on the water. After about a month though I broke the board, So I took it back to the dealer and they said either I could replace it with the same board or I could get one of there pro models for 20.00 more. I had the choice of the ONE, Covin, Or the IBEX. I thought this was a great deal I mean who could pass this up for 20.00. I picked the IBEX and I really like the board but I think it may be to advanced for my riding skill set. I am not very good, I can go wake to wake some times but I dont seem to get much pop, I usually just case the wake, or not make it over at all. this is getting old fast casing the wake sucks. I picked up a ROAM over the winter and took it out once. It was fun. The first time I tried to clear the wake I made it over and landed on the transition it felt very nice and smooth. My friend in the boat who has gone out with me every time says that I hit the wake better on this board than with my IBEX and I agreed with him. I tried the ibex over the weekend and it is the same old thing casing the other wake and not getting any pop. I really rode like Shiot and was not having the same amount of fun. So my question is can this board be to advanced and should I go out and buy another non pro model board? Sorry for the long drawn out story above I just wanted to give a complete description. thanks in advanced for any opinions.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Absolutely... That's a problem a lot of people had with Parks' old shape, too. It's great for the right people, but not great for everyone. As opposed to a board like a Premier that anybody could ride.

I like to find a board that's somewhere in the middle. I like agressive pop, but not bucking pop. I also stay away from boards with really abrupt rocker. They tend to ride too slowly.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
your just not popping. It's one of things that you hear people say but you don't really understand till you do it yourself and feel it. I;m not real advanced so someone could probably describe this better than me but.. I think of it as having a good smooth bent knee cut and then straightening your legs at the top of the wake. It's like you try to jump up its like your making your legs rigid so you don't compress when you hit the wake. thats my shot at it any other input?
Old    deltahoosier            04-07-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
my guess your IBEX board has long fins. Long fins are going to make the board faster. Now what I mean by that is you are not going to have to put it on edge to gain speed. You roam, I bet you have to put it on edge to get it to move. Edge at the wake equal pop. With a board with bigger fins, you will ride it flat but still develop speed. A beginner will just detect speed and figure they did it right when what you really want is a nice short run at it with hard edge and you will go straight up.
Old    deltahoosier            04-07-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
the more you show the bottom of the board to the people on the boat while maintaining your body perpendicular to the board, the more you will pop. There obviously is a balance point for different tricks, but, that is the basic mental picture. Speed to the wake gets beginners killed. Better to go up than go out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
In my eyes, what makes a board advanced is fin configuration, and the rocker line (which is less significant in my opinion).

I think beginners should ride loose riding boards with little fin. They are more forgiving, force proper technique, and faster in my opinion. Big fin boards feel like they have a lot more drag to me.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments. I think that I am going to try to get some .7 fins and continue to try to edge properly. I think that i may flatten out the board instead of edging all the way through.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-07-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Actually, that's the opposite of what you want to do...try taking a shorter approach and edging all the way through the wake. You can cut as far as you want, but if you flatten out before the wake your probably not going to clear it. You'll be surprised how short of an approach you need if you edge properly.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I posted that wrong I think currently flatten out the board before hitting the wake I think that I need to edge all the way through.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-07-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Sorry Steve...I read that wrong, but you're absolutely right. You'll feel it when you edge properly, especially with that board!
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ya of course! There's all these different edges and feels. Boards are what i think like when people are afraid to take their scaggs off and ride. they are afraid it mite be to loose or too stiky and boards are the exact same way. i demo all different boards at once at the beginning of the season to see wut ill ride that summer.
Old    deltahoosier            04-07-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
If I had to teach someone again I would put them on longer fins to get them up and do basic carving, but, soon as they want to jump, I would put on real short fins.

The old expression is that long fins make a board faster is the fact if you ride a board flat, the long fins will be faster than a short fin. It is basically acting like a wing under the water when moving toward the wake. The longer fin will also more than likely change the release of the wake as well. I believe that is where noobs get into trouble. SOmeone sells them a bigger board. It has longer fins. They take the cut from way out like see on every video and their friend from the boat and think that is how it is done. They go out, the long fins take over and they ride flat because they have the speed they think they need and eat crap for it. You can not say it enough. Short approach and big edge with stiff legs and ridged body will take you up and over. You can tweak it from there.
Old    deltahoosier            04-07-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
also, if you are riding on edge I bet you get drag from that big fin because it is not at the angle to help gain speed but may become a hindrence from getting on edge?
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Here is another question should I just ride the ROAM for now until I get the edgeing feel and not ride the ibex ? I am thinking I should so i will have to keep the board on edge.
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
the roam teaches you the right way to edge and carve around. i rode a roam wen i learned to ride and now a lot of the people i ride notice how i edge differently and is actaully go with a raom to help on edging and stuff like that
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
I second the roam for a while When we went to The Boarding School Shaun had my wife use the Roam because she was not understanding the edging . When you ride the Roam it does not work well with out proper edging so the board is a great way to learn your edge .
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Try looking at the Slingshot wakeboards. They flex like a roam but spring back to their original shape better/faster. New flex shapes like this are becoming increasingly popular. LF has the press and Obrien has a pair of flex boards too.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
Have someone take a video of you and watch your edge through the wake. I am have the same problems, I am landing backrolls clean now but I am not getting much pop. I watched a video of myself for the first time and saw my board flatten out at the trough of the wake. Gotta go back to the basics again.
Old    alanp            04-08-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
to answer your question.. yup