Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    cleankellner            08-02-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
I am a bored Wisconsin girl who decided to take up wakeboarding, but I am very new to it. SO new I have never been able to get up. Nobody I know knows how to wakeboard, so getting up for me is based on what i can find on the internet. My board is the right size for me, so thats not the problem. I've found the article on this site, and listened to the advice, but still cant get up. I now sit here with big bloody knuckles from my fingers smashing into the board. Im trying to get up behind a jetski. Would it be better to start out behind a boat? How long should the tow rope be. What should my driver be doing? Should my board be vertical or horizontal to start out? (I've heard both). If someone could share their secrets to this it would be wonderful. Thanks a ton, I will take any advice right now
Old    wake__freak_66            08-02-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
hey your board should start out horizontal in the water.have your knees as close to your chest as possible but keepthe board were it is. as the boat accelerates, stay in that postion until the boat pulls you up. once your up ,turn the board vertical.it depends if ur goffy footed or regular.regular would be left foot foward goofy is right foot forward.

hopes this helps
Old    cleankellner            08-02-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
how much of the board should be in/out of the water, what length tow rope works best?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
personally I keep the board vertical and the front of the board out of the water about 6" to a foot.keep your arms completely straight and wait for the initial pull from the boat,have your knees bent.once you feel the pull,push with your legs as if you were in a hole and the handle was somebodys hand trying to help you out of the hole.your legs push as if you were up against the wall.If you kept your board vertical and the tip of your board out it should make like a litlle ramp and you should have very little risistance out of the water.this technic helps everyone that had problems getting up.hope it helps you.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
another thing...make sure that you wait for the boat to pull you.Some people don't wait for the boat to pull them out completely.If you try to pull yourself before its time you will put too much slack on the rope and sink.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
the lenght of the rope only matters after you get up
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Boy did I struggle getting up the first season. Go buy the video "Detention" and watch the instruction on getting up. Getting up is the easiest thing in the world if you do it right.