Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Looking down when I land. Has anyone else had this problem? I have been trying to really focus on it the past few sessions, but unless I focus all my energy on not looking down (When trying something new) ......... SPLASH

Hope someone has some good insight on this.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
you look where you want to go. so look at the sky and you can fly high like randall harris. well we can only hope! lol
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
I have yet to actually jump W2W but, just to put in my two cents I find myself looking down all the time, that was probably one of the main things i was concentrating on my last session, was just looking up and not down.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
I don’t feel the issue is with 'looking down", but what you are looking at. I know it may help to look to shore on some tricks to help with edging out on landing, but not edging out is the issue (looking down is not the real problem). I don’t see anything wrong with spotting your landing on most tricks.

What tricks are you working on?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Mostly backside 180's as that is the trick that I slacked on learning and as a goof ( I have been comfortable with my FS 3's except when i look down ) FS 5's which I can spin but cannot get close to riding away from.
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-18-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
I just started landing bs 1's and the thing that started making it all click for me was throwing the spin super late and keeping my chin down on my chest. I was always looking toward the boat and it made me over rotate a little causing me to land on my heels and slide out. As soon as I started keeping my chin down or looking a little back everything started to stick on the landings. Really cool trick.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
I can see how looking down at take-off too much can send you off axis, but you may have another issue you're not aware of that is leading to this problem. Looking down when landing blind is natural because you need to lean away from the boat. Check out Learnwake.com, they have a lot of good videos & drills when learning spins.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-18-2010, 9:41 PM Reply   
best advise i ever got on a bs 1 was to "look at the levy" we use that term on the delta meaning as you land keep your head up and look straight at the shore. dont look down or at the boat. also land edging away ts, this will help when you start landing them blind.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Don't try to do something so vague as "look up", try looking at the shore, or pick something on the shore as you're edging in and try to spot it when you land. Also, if this doesn't work, go even more specific and look at the boat
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
'go even more specific and look at the boat"

this is good advise for straight airs or specific tricks just not for a bs 1. if you look at the boat after the rotation you will do 1-2 things, over rotate and spin out into 3 or the more common over rotate to a ts edge digger and you will be over this trick for a while. bs1 = look at the shore.

"pick something on the shore as you're edging in and try to spot it when you land" do this, very good advise!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-19-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
Your body will follow your head! Eyes on the Skys!
Old     (jpminter)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-20-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
Eyes on the shore for the bs1.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-20-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I will give the best analogy I have ever heard at the risk of sounding sexist and possibly killing the thread. Troy Navarro told me this a decade and a half ago.

"Look at the water the same way you look at a woman's breasts." You can glance down with your eyes, but if you get caught staring you will get slapped.

Looking at the shore has always seemed silly to me. I'm not trying to land on shore. I need to know what the water is like where I am goin to land. The key point of Troy's analogy is that you look with you eyes and not your head.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thank you for the tips everyone. Of course the week I am ready to go out and try all these tips is the week the service guy takes a vacation (while my boat is there for service) . I should have my boat back by this week hopefully and will be on it .