Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-08-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Skaters,
I have a Hyperlite wake skate, its some kind of plastic or maybe fiberglass with the rubber on top for grip. I bought it a few years ago. Its got a pretty awesome graphic on the bottom with a Grim Reaper and a Coffin. ANYWAY.....
My son thinks it kind of sucks and wants to step up to a better skate. I've seen the two part wood skates but they seem really heavy. I kind of like the old school single layer wood skates but they seem to be prehistoric now.
I would love some input from guys who are serious about wake skating.
What board is really nice and why?

Thanks,
Brent
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-08-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I was on the Hyperlite Catalyst last year. It isn't bi-level (two part). I really liked it but I will probably be on the Ronix Zariel bi-level this summer. Both really nice boards. Totally opposite though. I would check into the Catalyst if you like single layer skates. If you want to step up to a bi-level go with the Ronix Zariel.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
i havent tried one personally but if you want to look into a sick single layer skate from what i hear integrity wakeskates is definately the way to go
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-08-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
Brent, how old is your son and what is his ability?

If you wanted a good single level skate I would recommend something like the Liquid Force Impulse. Its a great skate in my opinion. good for learning ollies, edging, and has a concacve top (helps keep your feet in place better). There are other boards that are more beginner style, but they will limit you once you start to progress. And also single level skates are not prehistoric now by any means.

I ride the 08 Liquid Force SST, it's a bilevel skate with the bottom wood, and the top composite. I personally love this skate. The bilevel at the tip and tail make it really snappy making my ollies higher. also has a concave top and its not too heavy.

For 09 they are coming out with an all composite SST and I can't wait to try it because the wood does seem to fall apart over time with lots of abuse. But if your son is just learning and you take care of it, it will be fine.

hope this helps, any other questions just ask
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-09-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Brent, If you want a good deal on a used skate this guy is selling 3 different decks and all 3 are good boards http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23871
Old     (skateonwater564)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-10-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
for single decks, oak, liquid force, and integrity are all great skates. integrity is a higher end board in my opinion, but can still be used for intermediate riders. liquid forces and oaks can be used for all levels and are a little bit cheaper price wise. i know plenty of people that ride all these companies today.

as for bi-levels, (two part), you wont really find a board that isnt good quality, there are few out there, liquid force has one model diferent sizes and shapes, ronix has one, its very heavy though, still a great board, gator boards, which isnt that popular of a board, and devotid makes some, which are also good boards. they are all gonna be heavier than single decks, but some like that.

picking out a board is personal preference, nowadays you wont really find out that will limit you besides flat pieces of wood with EVA foam on top. look for a board with concave that looks well built. griptape and foam is also your choice but either way wont wont be bad.
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-12-2009, 12:50 AM Reply   
As already stated, it comes down to the rider. You talk about your son wanting it so I'm going to guess he's fairly small and doesn't weigh a lot. I don't think he'll want something overly large or heavy so that would rule out the Ronix Zariel (42 and 44 only and the heaviest skates on the market). I would say he wants something light and/or small. The Liquid Force SST is available in a 40.5 which felt really good to me, and I'm only 5'4. If he wants something light but wants to try a bilevel, try the new CWB Onset. It's a 42 so it's big (and it looks bigger IMO) but only weighs 8.8lbs which is the weight of most single deck/concave skates. If you want something with good concave and tails, try the LF Hampson or a Control if price is an issue. Both really good skates and good for all ability levels. I've tried the Gator bilevel (older version) and hated it. Felt heavy and it just dragged on the water. Oak, New and Integrity are other brands out there but I am just starting to research them so I can't speak too intelligently about them. Integrity seems to be expensive and geared towards technical riders.

The best advice I can offer is post up here or wakeskating.com's forum and see if there's any riders in your area that can let you try out their board. I'm guessing you have a boat of some sort so if you gave a free pull for letting your son try their board, I'm sure they'll help out. I know I would.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-12-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Devotid, New, OAK, and Sattelyte all make really good quality boards I ride 2 different Deotid decks and 2 different New decks and they're all awesome

The Devotid Onward 38 or the Movement 39 would both be great choices
http://devotid.com/onward38.html
http://devotid.com/movement39.html

Either the New Popy or any of the Mogley boards would be a good choice as well. The bi-level New makes is sick too
http://newwakeskates.com/proskates.aspx
http://newwakeskates.com/bilevels.aspx
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-25-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Great information guys, thank you.
Mikef9844,
he is 24, 165lbs, novice. He injured his back and can't strap into a board anymore, now skating only. I kind of inherited his wakeboard so I promised him I would get a new skate to replace.
Brent
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
hey brent. I'm in san luis obispo, and have an 41" integrity. I think I could make it up to nacimiento if you wanted to try it out.