Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-01-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
I have a 4 pin Connector and am wondering how to back UP my driveway without fighting the brakes?

I know the 5th pin is for a Brake Bypass but I only have a 4 pin on the trailer. Can I just disconnect the air/hydraulic fitting? I'm not sure what runs through it but it looks like an air hose but I think it has fluid in it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have had the boat in the street and got a ticket last night. Damn HOA companies. You gotta love them though....
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-01-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
There is a manual method to prevent the brakes from actuating. Check the owners manual on the coupler. You should have received a "key" that inserts into the side of the coupler. Mine was on the key ring with the boat key when I picked up the boat. Yours may be in the owners manual packet. It doesn't look like a key, I dont know how to describe.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-01-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
A nickle inserted in the slot that slides back and forth on the tounge will work as well
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-01-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
Turn the 4 pin connector over (180 degrees from normal) and connect it to the 5-pin (assuming that both are flat). Turn on your lights and it will activate the bypass.

How did you end up with a 4-pin connector on a trailer with brakes and an electric bypass?
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-01-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Shawn,
I'm not sure if I have the bypass or not. I just said I know the 5th pin is for that, but since I only have a 4 pin flat I was wondering what I could do to prevent the breaks from actuating.

George,
I don't have anything that came in the owners manual. Hmm. Maybe I should try the trailer or local Centurion dealership.

Ben,
I'll have to try that. Hopefully I can find which slot you are talking about. Thanks.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
A picture is worth a thousand words....

Send us a picture of your trailer tongue and we will be able to tell you exactly what you need.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Do what Shawn said, that works. Also, the key the George is talking about looks like a "D" with a tab on it, slips into the tongue infront of the actuator. You can buy an adapter at an auto parts store that converts your 4 pin to 5 pin. But for the time being simply flip you connector and have your lights turned on like Shawn explained.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-02-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
He said he doesn't have a 5-pin on the trailer either.

Not all couplers work the same. The key is for UFP's only. Atwood uses a mechanical toggle. Post a pic of the coupler and we can tell you how to do it the manual way. You can also add the solenoid to the brake line and go to 5-pin plugs on your truck & trailer to automate the process.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-02-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
you might want to check the trailer reverse lamp fuse...i had the same problem where my boat wouldn't back up at all and then i found out that my fuse was blown and i put a new fuse in a now it works perfectly!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-02-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
I put a washer on each side of the tongue where the pin slides back and forth and I "think" it worked. Think is the key word. I got the trailer up my inclined driveway in reverse and put it in the garage so I'm guessing it was alright.

Trace and Rod, I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow.
Old     (fyrdawg29)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
sean's correct..just flip the connectors
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-05-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Again, flipping the connector only works if your trailer has a 5-pin and the tow vehicle has a 4-pin.