Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-23-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Looking for a rock catcher/guard for the truck to keep it from kicking road junk into the boat while towing. Preferrably something that goes all the way across the back of the truck and can be removed easily so we can take it off when we get back home.

Any ideas?
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
RV store. Camping world has stuff like that.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-23-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Costco has the Rock Tamer at a very good price. IMO it functions and looks the best on trucks as well.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11233381

(Message edited by you_da_man on January 23, 2010)
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
Yup, i've got the Rock Tamer guards and it works well. Stays attached to the ball mount so i just pull the locking pin and lift the whole thing off and set it on jack stands when done towing. Couldn't be easier.

One piece of advice if you get them, make sure to take into account for bed drop if you load the bed up, unless of course you have air bags or the such.

(Message edited by Razzman on January 23, 2010)
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-23-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Rock Tamers all the way! The worst thing about mudflaps is having them on when you're not towing. Problem solved and they're not to 'Red Neck looking'

Pay the extra $$ and get the stainless ones pictured in the costco link above. Great price at $180. I paid $250 direct from the manufacturer,I had to do overnight shipping though.

At 30 to 50 bucks a stone chip these have already paid for themselves.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
Matt, those aren't full stainless, only the trim plate on the flaps and the actual mounting bolts are. The bars are polished aluminum and the center hub is chrome plated alum. The alum and chrome will corrode and pit the chrome if your not real careful and keep it dry, hence the reason i got the black so i could paint if needed.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-24-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
I bought the rubber flap on line from a RV parts supplier. I paid $69 and fabricated the brackets out or 3/4 square tube. It mounts to the hitch with 3 bolts for easy removal.
[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mudflap001.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mudflap002.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-24-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
there a pic I saw on here that Id have to look for, or someone might be able to chime in.. but it actually went on the trailer and it protected the boat and it looked REALLY good.. Much better than mudflaps IMO.. It was on a red Enzo.. Ill see if I can find it
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-24-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
here we go...

Upload
Upload
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Rock Tamers. They come off and on real easy. It takes all of about 30 seconds to put on and take off.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Here is another option.. Not cheap and isn't real pretty, but my boat is protected very well no matter what we tow with. We tow with three different vehicles. Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-24-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
This is the most common solution here, modify your cover to go down to the trailer in the front.
Upload
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Looks like a chariot, I almost considered it until i saw it from the front. No thanks, looks like a snow plow and at around $450 the Rock Tamers prices are awesome!

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by Razzman on January 24, 2010)
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-24-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
The trailer mounted "rock tamer" solutions look so inconvenient. You have to walk around it to latch to boat when retrieving the boat.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-24-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
Get the stainless... Yes it's just the name plates and hardware, it flat out looks better than the plain black ones.
I've had mine for two and a half years and it looks brand new. No corrosion, pits.
And Michigan winters can be quite brutal.
Whatever Raz...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Fact of life chrome rusts,Back at ya,
Whatever Matt ...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-25-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
I made this for mine. Just fits around the trailer hitch using a U bracket. Bought everything at the depot minus the flaps themselves. I weighted the flaps so they don't lift too much when driving. Not the prettist but it works!

Upload
Upload
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-25-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
"Facts of Life" that was my favorite TV show!
Raz did ya see the one where Joe taught Blair that chrome doesn't rust the metal under it does?
So how is that collar on the receiver going to get the coating chipped?
Chrome plated front bumpers, brush guards, running boards etc. I'll agree can look like crap after one winter if not taken care of.
But, that little collar will shine for many years to come.
No tag backs... raz