Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old    shooter_08            07-31-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
I know this has been discussed, but my search didn’t give me exactly what I need. Can I use the Anchor Buddy instead of anchor line? The website says it should be used in conjunction with anchor rope. Is that because they fear it may break and I will lose my anchor? Do you tie a ring onto your anchor line midway to clip the anchor buddy into or just tie them together?

Upload

The Box Anchor website says you don’t need chain like other anchors. Who's using chain and who's not? How is it holding without?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-31-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
You only need to use and regular line if you're in pretty deep water. I've never attached a static line to it and I've had no problems. You don't have to worry about it breaking. Even if the bungy breaks, I believe the rope on the outside of the bungy will still keep you attached to your anchor. I've been using them for years and have never had one break.

On the box anchor I don't use a chain and it works great!
Old    pdxWAKE.com            07-31-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
The box anchor is awesome. You truly do not need any chain. The small will hold a whole line of boats and it sets the first time every time.... worth the extra money...

you can order them from active watersports in portland and they give discounts if you say you heard about it from pdxWAKE... I am not sure if they have them online or not, but probably...
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-31-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Box anchor rules...I love mine. I have used the buddy line for years with out any of them breaking. I thought about using another line only because of the cost spent on the Box Anchor, but I feel it is strong enough unless we are talking strong winds and big waves then I think I would use a second line.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Pretty much what everybody else already said. I don't use any rope or chain, just the bungee and the medium box anchor. Holds firm and fast every time. Never had any issues with it at all. Love my box anchor.
Old     (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-31-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
I don't use a chain or line and it always works great. I've had my small anchor hold two boats in wind. They will break if another boat runs over them like happened to me, but that is expected I suppose.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
If you are worrying about the line breaking and you losing your box anchor, why don't you just tie an extra line to the anchor with a floater attached so that if you're boat line fails you can still find your anchor. We've done that in the past but haven't ever had to use it.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       07-31-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
I got a great deal on a large box anchor so it is larger than what need but works great. I tend to be concerned about keeping my boat where I anchor it so I have a chain on my box anchor just o be sure. Besides galvanized chain is cheap at the hardware store. The thing sets great and does not move. now for the anchor buddy its cool for mooring and having a place to come into and load and unload the boat but, for any length of stay, like overnight, I throw out a fixed anchor line. The wind and any current pushes and stretched the anchor buddy.