Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Im not suprised that almost half the wakeboard community buys online as opposed to their local pro shop, but am wondering why.

Is it because the prices are better, or because you dont have a pro shop close by?
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
The prior. Without a doubt.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
Have you ever questioned if your local pro shop would match internet pricing?
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
Our local shop will match online prices, as long as it is current product. They just closed the shop though, so I guess that didn't work out so well for them. I always tried to buy something from them every time I stopped in.
Old    K.B.C.            04-08-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
I'd say a little of both
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-08-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
im willing to bet its the fact that they can buy it online wherever they are whether it be home or work or in a coffee shop. I know that almost every shop I have been to will match a price. Thats America's laziness for you
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
I don't have pro shop within a 3 hour drive of my house so I shop online.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Not only do i have a very limmited and small pro-shop here in Page AZ (at least we finally got one that is "pro-shop-enough" to be mentioned in Alliance wake mag) they only carry hyperlite and LF. they don't carry slingshot or company or anything else flex, (besides LF's hybrid stuff potentially) and it doesn't sound like any of them will in the near future. Ohh the irony of living in one of the world's hottest wake spots, but having little available because of the remoteness... but sometimes that is a good thing.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 08, 2009)
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
About the laziness thing, dont u want to try on or demo new gear before u buy?
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I have bought most my wakeboarding gear online mainly for the convenience factor. I don't think that makes me lazy. I am just a busy guy.

Plus, I hate paying CA sales tax. This state takes way too much of my money as it is.

That said, I try to support my local shop when I can. I drop in and pick up buoys, t-shirts and other stuff as I need it.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
used to buy online. i go to soswakeboard now. love those guys. its at least a 2 hour drive for me each way. i usually hang out and bs with them or watch dvds before i head back home. great prices and best service
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
WOLY is the best shop in the world! I live about 45 minutes away from there, but I go there all the time. I was offered a job at one point but I live too far away.

I also buy just as much of my stuff from Texas MC. It is like wakeboarding heaven there.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Good to see you guys enjoy your local shops!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-08-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
We have a shop and an online store. so, we support both. But... many of our online orders come from cities or towns that you have never heard of. I think its because they have nothing close by. I hear from our customers how they have to drive for hours to see product, so it makes sense to buy online.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
I live an hour and a half from Ambush in Kennesaw, GA. If I'm in the Atlanta area, I stop in and shop; bought last two boards and bindings in person. If I order online, I usually buy from Buywake.com which is the same store so I don't feel bad.

Occasionally, if I can find a super deal, I may buy from another website, but that happens seldom. If we had a shop locally, I would shop there, but when someone opens one in the area, it never works. I don't really understand, as watersports seem to be big in the area.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2009, 12:01 AM Reply   
bad service make me shop online.... i dont have to deal with someone who has no idea what they are talking about i also usedto support my local shop but they never had the decks i wanted so i started buying online.
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-09-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
I shop online for a number of reasons. 1. the closest shop is 45 minutes away. 2. the shops never have anything in stock worth buying, everything new is always sold out. 3. better prices online, local shops will only give 10-15% discount.

I would like to spend money at local shops to help the wakeboard community in my area, but its hard when these scenarios are occurring.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-09-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I'll compare the board industry to my moto parts experience. To order a special order part at my local Honda dealer i must fully pay in advance then return to his store to pick it up I must do this all during his business hours which are the same as mine since I also retail. If i shop online i can shop anytime pay in advance have the part delivered to me free of shipping charges(by meeting a $ level) and avoid California sales tax Unfortunately it's a no brainer.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
I think hours of operation are a big thing. Shops being closed on Sundays seems silly