Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-11-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with these? Today is the first I have heard of it.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-11-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
They have been option on Centurions for the last few years. I don't have one but there are several people on the site that do
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-11-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
rode behind an Enzo with the swtichblade. the wake was huge. Shaped steep like a SAN but wider than a Malibu. it definitely made a big differance in size and shape.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
Two years ago I asked the Centurion dealer at the Spokane Boat show about the Switchblade. He didn't know ANYTHING about it. I had to show him a picture of it in the back of his own Centurion catalog.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2007, 5:20 AM Reply   
Ok??

2 years ago they where brand new
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Good to see you're out there representing Bill! Nice to see your on Wakeworld at close midnight too! Hope you had a great summer.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-12-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts, I have an 05 avy. We partially slammed the boat with weight last night (placing fat sacs everywhere I could) and got a nice huge wake. Even got a compliment from a local ripper who rode behind it, he said it really surprised him how nice the wake is. All my friends have malibus with the wedge and I think its great invention. Maybe I wouldn't have to sac my boat so much if the switchblade is truly reliable for increasing the size of the wake.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-12-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Check out: www.switchbladewake.com . Costs around 3 grand. Not recommended for trailering, so 80 lbs (I think) having to be taken off from time-to-tme, etc . Not as good an execution as a wedge. Debatable as to how well it contributes to the surf wake (seems most don't use it). Also, retro-fitting might be a bear, depending on the boat. Bottom line, sacs are a lot cheaper.
Old    boardco13            09-12-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
Ok guys here is the deal with the switchblade since there hasn't been a lot of posts by people with experience with them. I have had 2 Avalanches without it, 1 with; 1 Enzo without it and 1 with it. There are a few pros and cons, though let me preface this by saying I would NEVER give back my switchblade - I would rather give up my tower first, but with that said let me continue.

The main pros to the switchblade is that it allows you to easily adjust the size and shape of the wake. The switchblade pitches it up more than if it was not on - on an avalanche making it similar to a SAN 210 and on an Enzo making more similar to a SAN 220. It works awesome and if used properly can change your boat wake to be exactly what you want it to be (i.e. go from steep to rampy or vice versa). For wakesurfing it is absolutely awesome with one exception that I will say in the cons section. Also, anyone who says that you can't steer the boat with it on has either never driven a boat with one on or they were driving a boat with a switchblade that had not been properly mounted on.

Now the cons: The biggest con with the switchblade is not really in itself but rather the people that use it. I am not surprised by bill's comment on the dealer talking about it, since far too many Centurion dealers dont have any clue how to properly equip the boats they bring in. The switchblade is not a device to just either turn on or turn off, you adjust the degree to which it is engaged depending on how much weight you have in the boat, where it is situated, etc. Basically you just look at the wake and adjust either up or down. Most the time i have the switchblade set at about 3 (out of 7) and it is awesome. The only other downside to the switchblade that I have encountered (and it is the reason that Inland Surfer and a number of other surf guys dont use it) is that for wakesurfing it makes the wave a bit "rougher" at the top. You also have to take into account that these guys have their boats weighted up with about 2500 lbs. of ballast and at that point the switchblade would basically become pointless. I love it for surfing, but then again I am only putting in about 500 lbs. above the standard factory ballast in my Enzo SV230. For the most part the less weight you have in the boat, the more you notice the switchblade and the bigger the difference will be when you use it.