Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-25-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Im about to drop 7 grand in my system. The more i think about it its retarded.Is there anyone else out there that thinks this is a little over the top.I started with two kicker cans on my tower now i have 2 pro 80s but now i am convinced i need 2 pro 485 new subs and amps.when will it stop.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
When you can't pay your other bills, then you've spent too much on your boat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
7 grand in a system is retarded. A much better ivestment would be a Lift Kit and 24's for your truck.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-25-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
I should go ahead and get 10 pro 485s and 30 amps and 5 2500watts genarators to run it then no more wanting.Or just 1 waterproof ipod!!!!!
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-25-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Ipod
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-25-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'd keep the pro 80's and add some MB'8s to full the sound out. I'm not really a fan of the look of the 485's.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I can't believe the $$$ people spend on these big stereo systems for a BOAT. Seems crazy to me. I say bring your ipod.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-25-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
apparently I am pretty retarded. Thanks guys.

But I would not have it any other way.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Just remember that even an ipod will take some juice, so be sure you have enough batteries to keep that baby running
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-25-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I put in a modest system for $500. KickerKMT6, 12" sub, built my own box, found a 5ch amp to push everything. Two batts and an upgraded alt.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I cant do that. I am just going to put a dedicated amp in for my sub and factory speakers to match the amp that is already in there. I dont blast my music for the rider, that is disrespectful to everyone else on the lake IMHO.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-25-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I would draw the line once you have the stereo sounding the way you want it too. Figure out what you believe is missing from the style and type of sound you want and go from there. It has taking me a couple of years to get my tower dialed in the way i want it, went from the factory roswells, to skylons to wetsounds, to exile. Finally sounds the way i want it to both in the boat and out of the boat. Just make sure for whatever you do you have the correct size amps running things and the batteries to power it all.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Tooo much in my opinion, 2 stock JL's on my tower is enough for me. Then the interior stock JL speakers are plenty for listening to music. But hey to each his own. Post pics at least.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Just say no. No to being "That Guy" on the lake. The guy who forces everyone else (families, children, etc.) to listen to what he want's to.

In all seriousness though, if your speakers work just fine, its pointless to upgrade to louder ones. Just my opinion, but I've been annoyed for a while now at the music blasters at my lake.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Once you have a system like that, you never go back. I looooooove the system in our boat. It absolutely rips. So much fun to listen to. Makes the riding and the party rock that much more.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
I had to draw the line also....But then I erased it once I heard the system that I wanted and bought.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-25-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Are you maxing out your IRA and 401K?

If your answer is either "no" or "what does that mean", then yes you are being stupid for spending at the level.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-25-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'll do it for 5K, feel better now?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-25-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
It's easy to decide if that's too much.
Do you have any debt? If so it's too much.
Do you own your own home? If not that's a better place to spend excess cash.
Do you think think music is more important now than cash in the bank? If so spend it, assuming you met the other two.
It is a lot of money that is instantly worth less than half once you spend it, and if it's just bragging rights you want that's an expensive ego.
If you love sound and the water, there is nothing wrong with spending extra money to make you feel good. Just make sure it's extra.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-25-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
I think mine will top out at $5k for the system which is going to be 4 Bullet Hollow Point 770's, 3 JL amps, 3 Deka batteries, Alpine head unit with 2 remotes, sub & enclosure, EQ/Preamp, plus material & installation. I couldn't imagine a $7k system, but then again $5k is pretty high for a boat system. I just don't want loud, I want clear and quality without working the system hard.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-26-2010, 5:05 AM Reply   
To each thier own.... I've always had nice stereo's and always will, BUT I'm not that guy on the lake like Bu Coo mentioned, as I have respect for others to a certain point. All that respect dissapears though in they have none for me.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
$7K and lets say you use your boat 150 hours a year with the tower speakers on for 70% of the time and own your rig for 5 year = 525 hours of music or about $13/hr of music. A lot of assumptions there, but a different way to look at it. Might be worth it if you have the coin but not if that is stretching your budget.

I kind of agree with the 'that guy' issue though at the community level. The growth of the boat audio systems works against us as a group when other boat and lakeside land owners think about issues or bans that need to be addressed on the water.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-26-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
how are you guys mounting your iPods to the drivers side? I have an 02 Xstar and trying to figure out as far as mount what is best.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-26-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
It's all in what you like and feel like spending money on. If you can afford it, who cares? Boats themselves are viewed as an excess and probably 'retarded' to most. Many of us have boats more expensive than the trucks we tow them with.

Personally, I spent a pretty decent amount on my boat system and my home theatre, but all I did to my truck was add a simple indash tv/nav to the stock system. And the only reason I did that is the factory nav option was $2500 more and the Pioneer was less than $1000.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Tampawake,,, I would consider not mounting the IPOD on the driver's side. The safe thing to do is install a simple connection into the glove compartment. That way the IPOD is well protected from water. I also got this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-resistant-MP3-iPod-bag_W0QQitemZ160390262705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_ MP3Access_RL?hash=item2558012fb1

to make it completely water resistant. You can't change songs without taking it out, but if you have a long playlist set, you shouldn't have to.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-26-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
I use the Pro.fit UltiMount V2 and miniGRIP

http://pro-fit-intl.com/shopcombos.html

Works great. I also bought an extra base for my car so I can transfer the holder.