Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Just got done specing out a Moomba Outback V. (looking for a crossover boat under 40K)Took the wife down to pick out colors. No way she can live with the cheap interior. I thought I could but, now I think she's right. The Centurion and others are so much better. I haven't skied behind the Centurion. Ive heard nothing but bad things about these boats. Bad wake,to stiff,dealer network, ect. Need some insite before I test drive. Wasn't planning on skiing in Nov.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-05-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Don't know if this will help, but check this site out, It only goes to 06 but it sure has a lot of info, I got an 06 outback v, love it!
http://www.waterskimag.com/boat_inspector/index.html
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
cheap interiors? What seems cheap about it. From the type of vinyl down to the stitching they even use is top notch. Everything just looks more simple than others. They aren't trying to throw as much "bling" as possible in the boat. They are giving you the best bang for the buck.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Don't get me wrong I like the boat but, if they would have added just a little more padding and some more trim like the Mobius. It would have been a no brainier. Like I said I didn't expect my wife to dislike the interior so much. This was a done deal until then. And if she isn't happy I hear about it! Also finding good information seems impossible. All the mags seem to be worried about printing knowledgeable info on any boats that is unless its all good. Is there an independent that I don't know of? This forum seems the only way as long as you can separate the fact from fiction.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Go to your local dealer and have them refer you to a customer of theirs that has bought either an Outback V or a 2002-2005 Mobius or Outback LSV. These are the same boats. Call them and ask them about their experiences.

As far as the Outbacks vs. the Mobius vinyl, there is no difference, same cushions, same trim, same everything. Maybe your local dealer's boat on floor didn't show everything on the boat as well.

If you have any questions about any of the boats I'd be happy to answer them for you. I am a Moomba dealer in Arkansas, but first and foremost, I am a watersports enthusiats that enjoys educating the public on boats and equipment.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Active Watersports has been top notch with me I could not ask for a better dealer. Everyone I have talked with likes their boats and dealer support. Believe me this has been a great selling point. I'll have to look again but, I believe the outback cushions look thin where the Mobius looks more full. Also I do remember the slideout does not have trim.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a cross-over, the Elite isn't going to do it. If you are looking for something you can wakeboard 85% of the time behind it will be awesome. If you are going to ski behind it I hope you aren't expecting it to be tournament level. It's a great boat and is built well but it's definitely not a cross-over. If it's within your budget you should check out the new Enzo SV216 it's a cross-over model that gives the best of both worlds.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, Yes I ski more then wake or surf. Most likly I will have to stay with a 06 leftover to keep in my price range. What is Centurions crossover boat for 06? The Sv216 looks cool but 4300 LBS. thats a heavy boat?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
I owned an Outback and they are great boats. They are not cheap they are cheaper because they dont have all the luxuries..
Old    r3612            11-05-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
Brett,
I don't reallly think Jon is giving you the right info. I think he has some Moomba boats confused. The boat you are looking at the Outback V does have cheaper interior than the other Wakeboard models. It is this way in order to give you that better price along with having a hull that has been around for a while that has been proven. The interior even compared to that of an Moomba LSV is def inferior. As to the setup inside an Outback V. The new 06 LSV and the Centurion's vinyl are def a step up. More plush and thicker as well. I know you said you were a dealer John, but i am pretty sure you are incorrect in your statement regarding that. Outbacks and Mobius' in general have the same interior, but in regards to An 06 years Outback V and any other Mobius LSV or Outback LSV the interior is not the same, the Outback V is cheaper from my experince inside both boats and seems they use a thinner vinyl and less foam padding in the Outback V.

I have spent alot of time in 05 LSV (SAME as 06 Outback V) the main difference is def the seating. You sit very close to the floor in the Moomba Outback V and the cushioning is just not there like the Centurion or the LSV's. Hate that.
Also these two boats that you have chose to compare are different. If I were looking at a V-Drive crossover from Centurion for what you are looking for check out the Cyclone C4 (Eclipse V). This is more of the comparable Centurion boat to the Outback V due to the size comparisons. The Outback V is 20ft 6inch (I think) and the Cyclone is 20ft 8inch (I'm Positive). The Elite is 21ft 6 or 21ft 8. Can't remember.
The Cyclone puts out a much much better ski wake than the Elite V and throws a great intermediate to advanced wakeboard wake. The wake shape bewteen the Outback V and the Cyclone are going to be very different. The Cyclone and most all Centurions throw steep, hard wakes, that buck you. The Outback has a nice smooth transition and has great shape. Also with the wakeplate from Moomba you can really adjust the shape for all types of riders. The plate on the Centurion works mainly for skiing to flatten out the wake and for cruising. Doesn't get much use for wakeboarding at all. Pretty much every Centurion's wakeboard wake is best with the plate all the way up.

As to pros and cons. Alot of options that keep the price down on an Outback V are standard on the Centurion. Tnadem trailer for 1 and Fuel injection.. The Centurion is going to give you a 10times better ride in chop and through the double ups, downside to that is the wake is a little touchy side to side. Boat needs to be really weighted evenly on both sides. 1 Person in the wrong place can throw it off, where as the Moomba is a little more forgiving due to it's flatter hull. Also the Moomba flexes alot through d-ups and chop. The ICS construction on the Centurion along with the deep V makes it rock solid.

The Outback V has much more interior space compared to the Cyclone. You can really stretch your legs out in there. But the seats and gunwales are much lower. My wife and I really like the depth of the interior offered on the Centurion due to the fact we have 2 little kids that make their way around the boat. Make her and I have a little more piece of mind.

Either boat is gonna throw a great wake as most these days due. Just different shapes that you need to take a run behind yourself to see which you prefer. In my eyes the Centurions quality is a step above in most categories compared to that of the Outback V, and for me throws a wake I REALLY REALLY LOVE that's why I am on my third one.

(Message edited by r3612 on November 05, 2006)

(Message edited by r3612 on November 05, 2006)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
KJ,

PM me and I would be happy to go over each model and their construction. You will find out there are many misinformed people out there.

Brett,

Go look at what you want, put it on the water, compare interiors, etc and buy what you are happy with and what suits YOUR needs. That is why there are different boats out there, not just one boat can suit everyone's tastes.