Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hey guys I want to get everyone’s thoughts. Tint or no tint? For those of you that have your windshields tinted does it really cut down on visibility? Also what % of tint did you go with? Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts so post them!!! Also did they have to take out your windshield??? If your not a fan of tinted winshields please explain why. Thanks
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I love the way tinted windows look, on other people's boats . I would have a hard time doing it on my own boat, but since we're talking about yours, I say go for it!!

-Steve
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I think I looks good on every boat I have seen it on. I don't know how badly it effects visibility.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-28-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
I think a low tint on windshields looks good, but this also depends largely on the boat. Another huge factor is the boat's color scheme... In my opinion, there are very few color schemes that can actually look good with tinted windows (and most of them are solid white or black).

From what I've heard (I've never driven a tinted boat), it does cut down on visibility... and also increases glare.

Despite all these things, I'm condsidering throwing a teeeny tint on my windows.

Good luck on your decision!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
Hey bear, feel like riding thursday?

-STeve
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-28-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
My last boat came with tint, made it very hard to see towards sunset and personally i think it makes a boat look very chachi......which is not my style.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Haha, I drive a lowrider, no wonder why I like tinted boats!

-Steve
Old    mobiletinting1            03-28-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
I own a window tinting business, and we do alot of boats. We always pull out the glass, I think it turns out cleaner that way. There will be no gap of light around the edge. I had limo on my old boat and it was way too dark, and clear was too light. I put a medium (28%) on our Sanger v230 and it doesn't affect visibility, for me at least. If you want to see a pic of what medium looks like on a boat , you can go to my post, "ya herd me, one radical stereo system". You can e-mail me if you like, with any Q's.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-28-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have had the same question over and over for the last few years. Mine goes in for tinting on thursday. I am not going very dark either. Hope it turns out well!!!!
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-29-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Chris,
I agree that it would be a cleaner install with the windows out.
I had my windows out because I was getting the frames powdercoated, and multiple tint companies said they wouldn't tint my curved windows unless they were IN the boat. They said they might shatter. You had any issues like that?
Old    mobiletinting1            03-29-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
never,they must not know what there doing.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-29-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
I did a 20% (Formula One Classic) on my boat last weekend. As I was choosing the tint, I was wishing there was something in the 'Classic' line between the 20% and Limo.

When I got it back and took it out I was glad I didn't go any darker than what I had. Visibily is definately a little less, but it's not bad. There's no problem seeing obstacles in that water and stuff like that. Night will be a different story, but cruising slow and looking over the windshield should solve that.

One complaint, the silver speaker grill on the console reflects badly in the window...I think I'll have to pull it out and paint it black or something.

As for color schemes, my boat is a red over silver Pro-V with a black tower. The tint ties in well with all the black trim/tower from the hull up.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-29-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I say tint the biaaaatch ! The only experience I've had with boat tint was the VLX I test drove had %20 tint and I never noticed any ill effects, but it was during the day. Im sure dusk might be a different story. None the less my new VLX will have 20% on it from the dealer. They pull the windshield off to tint it as well.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hey, does anyone with tinted windows ever get a tint tan line, since they are typically uv protectant. LOL that would be hilarious, someone with a nice line across the forehead or something, lol.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-29-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
its only a problem at night
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-29-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Tinting looks cool, especially on the right color boat (like john v96). I just don't see a need for it. I was on one boat a couple years ago, and the tint was not really that dark, and it really effected the visibility. I am against anything that effects mine, or anyone else's visibility. Just don't see a need for tinting. Nothing in front of me is that bright where my shades or bimini don't take care of it. Just my opinion.

Jason,
Your color scheme would look good though with a tint job.

Steve,
You know your La Bomba would too!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
NICE Johnny
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-30-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Johnny- Do you rack your noodle on those Fusions ? I have a new VLX on the way and really cant decide about the Illusion speaker setup. It so low Im afraid to mount a bunch of pods along the tow bar.
Old    discolafinger            03-30-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Hey Diggs it will look gay on your pink!! 18' blue water #$%^$%^& LOL P.S. it will look good on a black boat, me I don't like that much FLASH.