Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-29-2012, 10:36 PM Reply   
My stereo is not the top of the line but I want it to sound half way decent. I have six- 6 1/2” rounds (skylon) 4 in the cockpit and 2 on the tower plus a 10". sub. I have no idea how big of an amp to get or how many. I’m thinking two amps and then getting someone to help set it all up. I currently have one amp that quit working, and not sure if it was ever even hooked up right. I am not a stereo man
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-29-2012, 11:04 PM Reply   
Couple questions for you?

What is your budget?
Do you have any idea what model speakers you have? Power handling capacity?

Amps can vary greatly in price, quality, power handling, etc... You can probably have a decent system with just 2 amps. Possibly a 6 channel to handle the in boats and tower and a separate mono or bridged 2 channel to handle the sub.
Old    kx250frider617            04-30-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
i would just throw in a kicker 700.5 amp for all the in boats and sub and a kicker 200.2 for those tower speakers. Go to amozon and see where the cheapest place is for those. For a basic stereo, those amps are perfect because they are cheap. They are some what out of date technology wise so the 5 channel amp is pretty big and you definitely want two batteries.

To save money, if the store sells an 06 or 10 model, buy that instead of the newest one.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-30-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
If you don't want to worry about the added power consumption of a class A/B and large footprint, check out the Precision Power P900.5. You can run your entire stereo on it. It's very small (6.5"-W, 11.5"-L, 2"-H) class d full range that will not get as hot or drain your batteries as quickly as class a/b. They're $299. The Polk Audio PA D5000.5 is the same amp as the Precision Power, just a little more in price.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
They are rubicons, 75w continuos-150w peak. I can prob only spend up to 300-350 for an amp. I know this sounds like not much for a boat stereo, but its all I can afford, plus my hearing is going bad anyway..LOL I'm confused now, sounds like one amp might be able to run all the speakers? I have two batteries but havent hooked up the second yet. I still need a dual batt switch and cables and a little instuction on how to install duall batts, I'm hoping batt consumption wont be too much!
Old    mojo            04-30-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
I've got a nice jl m1400 sub amp for sale cheap. That and a 4 ch. amp will work. Don't forget to take into account cost for power wire, fuse holder, dist. Blocks, etc.