Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-07-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
I've finally made a decision for my next season boat purchase. It's a 2013 SA350 and just wanted to get pros and cons from those who have experience with the boat. The boat will be shipped to me from an out of state dealer so I won't have the chance to get hands on or demo before purchase.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-08-2014, 3:13 AM Reply   
That's a BIG risk buying a boat without even a test drive. Are you getting it at a great price?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-08-2014, 4:02 AM Reply   
Go and demo that boat..... Seriously....

I have spent a lot of time in an SA. It is a great boat. It has some drawbacks that you would want to make sure you can live with.... Most notably- it dips the bow easier than any other wakeboat I have experience with. Funny part, is that the SC is one of the least likely to dip. I also hate that 60% of the storage is filled with ballast bags, but a lot of wakeboats are like that.

Boat handles excellent, has great fit and finish, and puts out a nice stock wakeboard and surf wake.

For what it's worth, my buddy bought a 2014 SA last spring. He is trading it for an SC, or an SG (if it comes out in time). This lake gets fairly rough, and he is completely tired of taking water over the front while ballasted. He Demo'd an SC for 2 days, and didn't have it happen once. He is not new to the wakeboat game either, and knows how to drive them. He has owned a 23lsv, and a SAN 230 before the SA. The front is just so big, and so low. Looks awesome on the water (like the second gen xstar, which was also a bow dipper when heavily loaded....

Take that for what it's worth. Still one hell of a great boat, but you might want to demo the SC as well.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       11-08-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
I had my SA for two seasons and would agree 100% with Eric's post above. The boats is absolutely amazing , handles great , plenty of power and fit and finish is top notch. Bow dipping was a bit of a problem for me and even bigger problem for the wife .... I would second the fact that the SC is the best of both worlds great wake and plenty of freeboard. I wouldn't be scared of the SA it's a top notch wake boat just a little hard to manage in rough water while not moving. In my opinion this boat would be perfect if it has the SC freeboard.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       11-08-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
I love my sa,but have to sell it (cheap) to get the se...u get used to driving it with the nose dip situation. ..no biggy..
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-08-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
The boat is a leftover new model from the dealer so condition of the boat is no worry. From pics I've seen I've always thought it would be tough to keep the bow from dipping on the SA as low as they sit. I'm getting the boat at a really good deal is the main reason I decided to buy it over other models I was looking into.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       11-09-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
I had a '13 SA350 and traded it in fro a '14 SA450. The only reason was to get the surf system. I wasn't thrilled with the surf wake on the '13. The '14 is much better. We loved the '13 and love the '14. Great boats! I dipped the bow on the '13 once and my wife did it 2 or 3 times. She tended to cut the throttle when nearing a roller it wasn't a big deal and didn't happen much after getting used to it. I think we only did it twice all this year and we run with much more ballast with the surf system.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
I'd think that this kind of purchase would be worth a quick plane ride out to at least check it out. At the very least I would have someone on here in the area drop by and do a once over. Personally I would do both.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-09-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
Agree with Nick
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-09-2014, 5:32 PM Reply   
If anyone is out near Bakersfield that'd be great if they could stop in and give it a look over
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-09-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
I have a 13. We run on a lot of different lakes we don't have issues with the bow but my wife and I are use to boat that like water over the front. Great boat drives and handles awesome.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       11-10-2014, 1:57 AM Reply   
U said it's a bran new,left over right? Then it should b in perfect condition right?
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-10-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Yes that's correct Chris, that's why I wasn't worried with seeing it before buying.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-10-2014, 7:52 AM Reply   
A lot of "brand new" boats have been to the lake. Maybe a demo, maybe just the lake test. Maybe an employee or the owner took the boat to their cabin for the day. Not out of the realm that the boat hit the dock, dinged the prop, got a vinyl cut etc. They can get damage in the showroom and around the lot. Employee's don't pay attention and customers just don't care. Trust me from working at dealerships it happens.

It could easily have some damage…better get it in writing that their isn't a knick or ding anywhere, period. If thats how you expect the boat to be. Plus these boats leave the factory with blems..gel cracks..etc. No way would I pay that kind of money without personally inspecting the boat, new or not!!
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-10-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
I agree with you RB..The dealer has already stood behind the condition of the boat and openly told me the only flaw is busy st the stitching in one of these seat backs and they've already filed a warranty claim to take care of it. I've been told this dealer is stand up honest people by guy from Skiers Choice.