Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-21-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
so i walked into a mastercraft dealer and i told them what i was looking for this year, either another LSV or a x star. He told me that "he was suprised my boat hasnt sank from the wedge" lolol.He went on telling me storys about it, Plz tell me this guy is full of crap becasue i never heard of that anywhere
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Ive seen a wedge ripped off the back of a response about 3 or 4 years ago... granted we had a ridiculous amount of weight plus about 8 or 9 people in there too. But it has happened but from obvious abuse.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
MK, are you saying that the Wedge "ripped off" and you didn't hit anything with the boat? I've never heard of such a thing.

Andy, there has been at least one post on here a few years ago where somebody hit something with their boat and it allegedly ripped the Wedge off the back of the boat. To me that seems like pretty common sense. Hit solid object = damage boat. If I hit a rock with my prop and it damages it, can I really complain about the prop?

Any way you slice it, if you have a dealer saying things like that to you, he or she is either stupid or dishonest and you need to run far away from that dealer.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
I don't know the particulars but the local Malibu dealer had one in their shop a few years ago and the wedge was most definately ripped off the back. I looked at and was glad it wasn't my boat!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
David, maybe that's the one i saw, it was at Ultimate in Livermore. Dealers should not slam other brands, period.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
This was posted on here several years ago, I saved the pic. I don't know but I would think there's now a shear pin or something to prevent this kind of damage. The underwater gear does not look too bad, bent rudder. The prop and shaft are still there so it probably would not have been taking on water had it not had a wedge. I'd still buy a Malibu, but it's something to consider.

Upload

(Message edited by cyclonecj on April 21, 2009)
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Assuming this individual is talking about the wedge falling off, the one on my 06 LSV has not fallen off, I will let you know IF and when it does...

Judging how the wedge is attached to the boat, it would take some MAJOR abuse for the wedge to detach from the boat. I sometimes forget to put the wedge up after riding and drive around the lake with wedge deployed...
Don't worry about it michridr69 he is trying get you to buy a MC...Get yourself another LSV, they are stellar boats!

Good luck!
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-21-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
I don't know when that picture is from, but when they redesigned the wedge its got a breakaway, so it won't do that anymore. I think you can tell by looking at the shape of the wedge, new style is angled, old style is flat.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
I had the same experience at a MC dealer.I checked online and only found one boat the back end ripped open. What they didnt say is all the underwater gear was ripped off also. If BU had
this problem they would be the talk of the town. Any dealer that tries to sell by bashing the competition is not a good dealer to work with you should run fast. None of the top manufacturers builds a bad boat. Pic the one that servers your needs.

The pic above is the same pic I saw 2 years ago
I have also seen skegs and fins pushed through the hull by hitting rocks that MC dealer is full of it. Find a dealer that informs you about their products.

(Message edited by mhunter on April 21, 2009)
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Thats too funny, we all know defects happen from time to time. However, it all comes down to customer service, basically the reputation of the company. i.e. Did you hear the story about the MC with over 100 cracks around the tower with barely any hours or ballast in it and how this guy "Gene" was just crossing another wake when it cracked. And how MC at first was not going to fix/replace his boat, so he made a web site "MC Sucks.com" plus he posted a ton of comments on WW. Finally MC was willing to negotiate on repairing/replacing his boat. We still don't know what happened. I'm sure the MC salesperson would love to hear that one haha...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-21-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Does anyone think this was old when it was old a couple years ago?

In the picture above please look at the rudder, which sticks down further. You can't worry too much about a driver that kills their own boat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-21-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
I thought that the pick above would Never surface again. I think with all the neg press Malibu has gotten from this one picture they would have a marketing guy @ Malibu would come up with some sort of Positive spin.

A caption something like this. "New prototype" easy access transom panel makes servicing rudder so much easier.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
I've been using a Wedge since 2000, sometimes with over 5,000 pounds of ballast on top of it, and I've not yet experienced the "rip off." Of course, I have yet to hit a submerged object at high speed. Knocking on wood as I type.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
worlds fastest ballast system

(Message edited by cyclonecj on April 21, 2009)
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Doesnt the wedge sit above the prop, rudder and fins? If you get the wedge your getting a lot of other bad stuff too. Is there a greater chance sure but its not like these things are falling of or being ripped off daily. I hate these types of sales guys. Same all of them when you talk Malibu or Tige. Hey here is my boat this is why I think its superior go try there's and please come back and buy mine. How hard is that. Demo your product and prove its the better boat then call it a day!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Looks like the boat pictured took a glancing blow to the rudder and a direct hit to the wedge. The wedge deployed sits just above the bottom of the rudder.That particular boat doesn't look like one that was designed for the wedge, looks like it was added after it left the factory.

You hit anything just right (rock, stump, tree, sand bar, etc..) any running gear will get ripped off of any boat, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-21-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
I went into a dealership recently to check out some boats that I have never seen before up close. I asked them how sales were going and we got into the yeah its rough right now conversation. I heard CRAZY rumors about Malibu that I know werent true. Seems that they are the ones that seem to be talked about the most in these times. I can't say I would buy a boat from a dealer that spreads flagrant (sp?) rumors about any brand. I seriously think competitors dealers (not brands) do it to try and scare you out of buying from a rival. This guy spit out dirt on the company like it was fact, good thing I am smarter than that.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
The wedge in that picture must have come off when they ran over some guy tubing behind his MasterCraft....
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-21-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
I've actually hit stuff with my wedge and it sheared the screws that hold the bottom plate onto the down arms. Not sure if it was designed like that or not but think the only way to rip it off would be to seriously abuse it or intentionally pull something with it.

I've also gone over 25 with it down. I think they say not to go over 25 but I've forgot about it and gone full throttle across the lake with no problems other then lost top end and huse gas consumption!

I agree with everyone else. Don't worry about the wedge. Its one of the last things you'll have a problem with. Buy the boat that fits your needs!
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I’ve also been using the wedge since ’00 and never had an issue with it. The prop is lower than the wedge so you’re either backing into something or very careless for this damage to occur. People who don’t like the wedge try to use this as a slam tactic, if it’s not for you great move on. If I’m in an area that I’ve never been in I’ll put the wedge up until I’ve canvassed the area slowly. Abuse your equipment and damages can occur.

Malibu doesn’t need anyone to respond because there isn’t and issue. The dealer is either ignorant or just using poor sales tactics to sell the brand he sells. How about discuss the areas where you believe this boat fits the needs of the perspective customer, sell them on concept and let the customer decide which is best.

Tampawake yes that is correct.Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I've seen em get ripped off but I've never heard of anyone actually sinking because of it. I guess if it got torn off and ripped a big hole in your boat and you didn't notice it (because you're a jackass) I'm sure you would sink. I personally don't know anyone that has hit something with it and ripped a huge hole in their boat and not noticed it. I think the MC guy was just being a typical "Salesman"
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Nu bu makes a good point about the mounting of the Wedge as well. I know that boats equipped with the Wedge have extra reinforcements in the transom in order to deal with the stress. I'm sure that if you put a Wedge on a boat that didn't not have the reinforcements (which I've heard of several people doing), it would probably rip off rather easily.
Old    K.B.C.            04-21-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have a friend who lost not 1 but 3 wedges on a 2000 Wakesetter, I believe. He never hit anything with either of the three, they just busted off. I would think Malibu has since worked out the issue with the newer boats though.

(Message edited by sperbet on April 21, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Scott you're talking about the foil piece and not the entire wedge ripping off the back of the boat just to be clear.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-21-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Wedges are great for fuel economy...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
^^^What is that...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
I have seen this pic and others where there have been holes in the transom of BUs due to a massive wedge failures. I don't think hitting a submerged object under water is necessarily 'owner abuse' like some others have suggested. Yeah when you have a strike with a submerged object, you are going to incur damage, it is really a matter of how much damage and with a wedge you have more submerged appendages exposed and attachment points to the boat and will invariably have more damage than the same boat without a wedge. The wedge has gone through a couple of modifications and haven't seen nearly as many unhappy posts with the newer designs, and even with the older ones, I suspect holes in the transoms are extremely rare, but certainly possible.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   

quote:

I don't think hitting a submerged object under water is necessarily 'owner abuse' like some others have suggested.

Wow, if the entire public thought the same way, boat companies would not exist. Luckily, most people don't feel like it's the manufacturer's fault when they ram their boat into a solid object.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
I sense some defensiveness here.

In most cases, hitting a submerged object is an accident, not abuse. I would like to believe that most people are not out there deliberately 'ramming' their boats into submerged objects. Yeah there are things a good boat operator will do to minimize their chances of strikes, but no matter how careful a driver, you can't take the chance to zero. As I recall you were knocking on wood in an earlier post. I never said or intimated the manufacturers were culpable. Insurance companies are typically on the hook because they cover accidents, but they won't cover abuse.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
The wedge that i saw ripped off was a 04 Response and we had at least 4 if not 5 fat sacs full along with a bunch of people, I bet there was at least 6k worth of weight and the driver did a powerturn to pick up a rider and we all heard a snap and then the boat started shaking really bad. We knew there was nothing under the water because we were in middle of the river and we didn't see anything that we could have run over. The wedge was twisted off its bracket... there was no hull damage from what we could tell just that the wedge f****d up bad. The boat belonged to a show ski team and it was the end of the season so it was getting sent back to Malibu anyways. I never heard anything else after that if anything was structurally wrong with the boat, but like I said I believe that the wedge was the only damage to it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
The old Wedge had 2 screws on each side holding the horizontal foil to the vertical supports. The newer Wedges have 3 screws, probably due to Malibu redesigning it to hold up to the likes of the situation above. There have been numerous posts about this on a variety of sites including WW, MalibuCrew & Wakeboarder.

BTW, we've hit the bottom of the Columbia river when we were a mile from shore..... it was shallow. The depth of damed rivers can fluctuate.... sometimes a LOT.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
'owner accident' is better saying than 'owner abuse'....

I have hit two submerged objects and ruined two props with my malibu. Once was a tree stump (my fault, I should have known to not be in that water as it has been said to have stumps) - the other was a completely random ROCK shelf in about 60 yards from shore that was not marked. It was a foot and a half wide and dropped off 10+ feet on both sides. I couldn't believe it.

Either way, - but I dont want to think i'm "abusing" my boat :-)
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
'owner accident' is better saying than 'owner abuse'....

I have hit two submerged objects and ruined two props with my malibu. Once was a tree stump (my fault, I should have known to not be in that water as it has been said to have stumps) - the other was a completely random ROCK shelf in about 60 yards from shore that was not marked. It was a foot and a half wide and dropped off 10+ feet on both sides. I couldn't believe it.

Either way, - but I dont want to think i'm "abusing" my boat :-)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-21-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Good point clayton191. A dent in a car fender is just an accident and not abuse. Of course no one would assume it was the manufacturer's fault either.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Act of God
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-21-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
why take a chance just buy a xstar you wont be disappointed add weight and ride}}
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
haha, mk... 6k of ballast in a response? i dont think so.... and the driver got what he deserved for doing a powerturn, he should have known they were bad!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
^^^^

Sounds like a fish story to me... That thing would have been a submarine with 6K of weight. My buddie has an lxi and we can't put more than 1500 lbs in that thing with 3 people or he can't keep the bow out from under the water.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-22-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
wow thx guys i went back to the dealer, the dealer i bought my 08 from and he told me that 3 or 4 other people have came in from the mc dealer and asked about it, lol he said there has been one that he knows of, some guy was drinking and ran a shore on lake michigan and caught an object on shore the pull the wedge right off he said it was it, but he said that he's never heard of one just ripping off. And i drove a mc from the same dealer that told me this story and the boat died 4 minutes into the ride, well ill take my chances of running on shore and ripping off the wedge

(Message edited by michridr69 on April 22, 2009)
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-22-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I don't believe a wedge would fall off without impact. That is an old MC wives tail. I had a run in with an underwater pillar one day. Broke the wedge, bent the rudder, and gave the prop a lot more cup. Not a fun day. We had about 3000 lbs. of ballast, 3 people and wedge down doing some surfing when the boat jumped out of the water. It could have been worse.

Upload