Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    lakehammer            05-25-2004, 2:15 AM Reply   
This will be my first boat purchase. I will be using the boat on a small lake. I am looking for somthing that my kid can ski behind (5 y.o.) and somthing that I can use to do about every wakeboard trick imaginable. There will usually be 4+ large people in the boat.
I'm currently looking at the MC X9, X7, Tige 21i, 22v, and am open to looking at about any other boat at or below 55K. Any valid suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I am currently leaning towards the X9, but can't find many who talk much about it. I see alot of reviews for other X series boats but not the X9. Any X9 owners out there? I've ridden in the X7 and don't like the fact that the seats are so short and that every time you turn people in the back get drenched.

Thanks in advance

(Message edited by lakehammer on May 25, 2004)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-25-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
Other good choices:

Gekko 6.7
Sanger 210

Both are wakeboard boats that are skiable. The Gekko has the edge on skiing (very wide and efficient hull).

Good Luck.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-25-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
With Kids, you should look for a couple of things - A boat that will last for several years, and give good performance. You should have a boat with high freeboard to keep the kids in the boat during ski runs or choppy water. Easy access for them to climb in and out, and last of all - great storage. A wife and kids seem to pack a lot of extras on the boat. For those reasons I looked at the boats you discussed, and bought the 22V. I love the boat, but it is a very personal decision. I highly reccommend you drive and wakeboard behind all of them before you make any decision. You may feel very comfortable in one over the other.
Old    ilovetrains            05-25-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
What length are you looking for? It sounds like you might be on a length restricted lake.

I have been looking at a new boat recently and find that most people offer advice based upon what they like(no offense, you just know what you like) but not necessarily the things that will go into your buying decision.

Just curious, why the X-9, not the 10? The 10 seams to offer a more family friendly boat. The local dealer advertised less than 50K on an X-10 at thelast boat show.
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-25-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
How about a Correct Craft SV211 Nautique? I know my local dealer has a sweet one that he just got.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-25-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Matt - I don't have any personal experience with the boats you have listed (I have an 02 X2) but the service manager at our local MC shop has an X9 that he's been playing with weighting for the last month or so. It seems that the wake is nice up to around 21mph but above that it gets flat no matter how it's weighted. He's tried almost every weighting combination possible and it comes out the same every time.

If you're looking for a "big" wake in a boat I don't think this is the way to go. If you're looking for a boat that will do everything (wakeboard, slalom, tube) then I would lean towards MC. Obviously I'm biased because I have one (I'm on my 3rd) but the fit/finish of the boat is 1st rate.

If you're looking at a Tige 22V I would also look at the X2, SAN, Supra SSV and Malibu VLX. They are all great boats that put out killer wakes.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Matthew M,

I owned the X-9 for a season. It is a beautiful boat, but not a great wakeboard boat.

If you're serious about FAMILY wakeboarding, I would only recommend a V-Drive. You can get a D-Drive to throw a decent wake, but not without sacks all over the floor! Look at EVERY manuafacturer's V-Drive option that is available to you.

My preferences for FAMILY wakeboarding are:

Malibu VLX and LSV(04), SAN 210, Supra SSV, Moomba XLV and LSV, Calabria Pro-V, Mastercraft X-10 (maybe X-2 for a SMALL family), Sanger V210 and 215.

I owned the VLX and was VERY happy with it. Sanger and Calabria are not available in Florida, or I would have given them a good look, too.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       05-25-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 Supreme V208 Sky and bought it because I liked my friends V220 Sky. While his boat is longer, mine is deeper and rides very well through the chop. We went wakeboarding last night and he told me if he was buying today he would take the V208 over the V220. I am very happy with it.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
Another option is the Supra Launch, not the SS or SSV. It's what I have. Very large freeboard, great wb wake with factory ballast, very roomy for a DD, great rough water boat and skiable too.
Any of the above mentioned are worth looking into also. Just demo as many as possible and buy from a dealer that you feel will service you very well after the purchase. Good Luck!
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-26-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Try the Supra Santera ,Walk thru transom, Very family friendly, great ski,wakeboard boat, Add a tower..
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-26-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
I could get you in a new 2004 Gravity Games Supra SSV out the door for $52k.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-26-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'm thrilled with my Tige 2002 21V. I was looking for exactly what you were when I purchased. Lots of storage, great wake, plenty of room (widest boat on the market), and I've found the slalom wake to be adequate (although I quit skiing once I learned how much fun wakeboarding is.) The quality has been excellent. I've never been in a MC (the dealer in Vegas continually seems to be going out of business).
Old    lakehammer            05-26-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
Here are a few other intangibles that I've thought of thanks to everyone's advice. I'm 6'6" and weigh 3 bills. Is there a certain brand that makes a small or larger drivers seat? I also don't want to have to lug sand bags or weights around in the boat. I'll easily have 1000lbs of riders most times. Like the Sanger 210,,,what I've read tonight is a good, fun boat that needs alot of weight added to produce a good wake.
I very much appreciate everyone's responses and you've given me alot to research. Of the boats listed which ones are more dependable, as I'm 4-6 hrs from most dealers? Thanks in advance

Matt
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
Matt I just bought a X9 today...I will let you know all about it on tuesday when I get home...i can't wait!!!!
Old    mb_girl            05-26-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
Matt,
I don't think you can go wrong with the Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I've been in a couple & as far as the weighting/ballast goes it will more than fill the bill for you. We ended up buying the Wakesetter DD because my husband skis occasionally & we wanted the DD handling capability - we also looked at the X9 & PS209. We found them to be much wider feeling boats than the Malibus (much more than the actual 3 inch difference in beam), but not as well layed out & much less freeboard. One thing the MC did have that my husband liked was the driver's seat - nice & big for big guys & well-ventilated. But I didn't like the way the dash came down to almost knee level - it felt like it was going to be a shin killer every time I got in the seat. Also, MC does not offer a swivel driver's seat option in those boats (at least that's what the MC dealer told me at the time), whereas Malibu does - something that I've really gotten used to & like a lot about our Malibu. We did come really close to buying the 209, but in the end we would have paid close to $10K more than we did for a better equipped Malibu from a better dealer - it was a no-brainer.

As far as dependability, you won't go wrong with any of the big 3 & you're going to get a lot of differing opinions about the rest. But honestly I believe that the quality of the dealer & how they treat their customers on the service end should be a big, big part of the equation & final decision. Just some food for thought.
Old    lakehammer            05-26-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
PS209? Not sure what boat that is. And when you say freeboard does that equal onboard room? Sorry, new to the boat lingo. We are not big skiers, but I would like that to be an option for my son.
Thanks for the response
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2004, 11:03 PM Reply   
a prostar 209 is trhe same boat as a X9 ....all a X9 is is a prostar 209 with a tower, ballest sacks and a radio.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
by the way freeboard is the distance from the waterline to the top of the boats hull! the X9 is a lower boat the the D.D. wakesetter ...the wakesetter was actually my first choice in boats i think it is a great boat...I just love the bling of the X9. It is a pimp looking boat....AS far as wake goes I am Certain that the wakesetter with its ballest and wedge will kick up a bigger wake than an X9
Old    mb_girl            05-26-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
Sorry, should have been more clear. Like jude said, Prostar 209 is for all intents & purposes the same boat as the X9. Freeboard is how high the gunnel is in relation to the water - less freeboard=top of gunnel closer to the water & vice versa. Less freeboard gives you fewer options as far as ballast & can be a safety concern if you have small children (as we do). If your son plans on continuing skiing, you may want to look at either the Wakesetter DD or the Wakesetter XTI (also a DD). The VLX is a tremendous wakeboarding boat, but has its limits when it comes to ski wakes since it's a v-drive & really focused toward wakeboarding.

And yes, the X9 is a gorgeous boat, which is one reason that we almost bought it.

(Message edited by mb_girl on May 26, 2004)
Old    mb_girl            05-26-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
One other comment, after reading jude's last response, is on the wake quality of the Wakesetter DD. We have the Wedge & stock MLS, & that puts out a respectable wake, but with just 2 more people in the boat it made a big difference - bigger, steeper, wider with just under 400 extra lbs of people. It's got us planning for plumbing in more ballast.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2004, 11:24 PM Reply   
tracie... I saw a Pic of your new wakesetter...congrats sweet boat.
Old    mb_girl            05-26-2004, 11:33 PM Reply   
And to you as well. The solid red with that black hull is unbelievable looking. Going to be stylin' on the water!
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-27-2004, 2:57 AM Reply   
Jude, I have to say you boat looks totally SICK~~ That is one of the best color combos I have seen in a long time. Especially since that boat sits so perfectly in the water. Bravo man, Cheers!!!!
Old    riderzedge04            06-14-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
hey matt tack a look at teh session boats. It this year wakeboarding boat of the year. Let me know what you think.
Old    aircox            06-14-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
Richard,you must be kidding right?
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-15-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I saw a MC w/ that red/black combo on the lake a week or so ago. It is awesome. When it's just sitting it looks like an all red boat...and then it planes and it's 2 tone. Looked really sharp!
Old    riderzedge04            06-15-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
j.cox you are a funney guy. I will just have to say the I use to have an x-9 and It was in the shop more time then I was out rideing. I will have to say J.Cox you have input in all that is said about the session. i dont think you have look at it or been in one.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Richard Dufuss:
Who are you kidding here? You never had an X-9...what did you pull it to the lake with? That Saturn that had all of those horrible stickers on it?? I think not!
If the Regal Session is the wakeboat of the year, why don't I see any of them out on the water here in nor-cal? Makes you wonder...
Wait, I take that back...I did see them at the boat show...right next to the Malibus, and it still seemed like you guys couldn't even give those things away. Better stick to selling those Sea-Doo wake-machines bro, I think that's where your money is at!! LOL!
BTW, did you stick that back roll yet?
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
check out the ssv. they're pretty popular out here in east tn. it's got a great wake, lots of room, and an incredible price. i'm on my second supra/ third boat from skiers choice(the first was a moomba) & have had no regrets---i love 'em!! the biggest thing i would recommend is researching the dealers reputation. if their rep sucks, it doesnt matter what brand of boat it is--stay the hell away! just my opinion.