Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
just curious, is the used boat market in Canada bad or something?

i'm selling my i/o for my first used v-drive and i've gotten 3 calls from Canadians. one guy want's to send me $500 non-refundable western union and buy sight unseen. lol. seems a little odd, but i told him i'd call him back after the first person called looks at it this afternoon.

just wondering if anybody knows about the market up there?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
The Canadian dollar went up almost 20% compared to the US dollar during 2007. That means major items like cars, RV's, and boats are very cheap for Canadians to buy in the States currently. The prices are starting to close up but there is still a big gap.
With electronics it's already changed but there are lots of arbitrage opportunities available still if a Canadian is looking for a boat.
Later this year the Canadian dollar will probably drop below the US one again but who knows how much.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
That makes no sense becuase the US dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar right now.

1.00 USD = 1.00859 CAD
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
that makes sense then. they guy is actually working for a client and said if his client doesn't want it, he'll buy it. said he has to pay 7% to bring it back over the border and then the client has to pay 14% (i'm guessing sales tax). interesting. said he could be here in 3 days with cash, bank check, whatever i want. we'll see how it shakes out i suppose. thanks for the reply.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
nubu, interesting. i'll call my bank tomorrow and find out what to watch out for. hopefully, they're not trying to scam me. he did offer less than asking, but a fair price. he said the used market was very bad, same with cars. he's the 3rd Canadian to call me on it.

(Message edited by brucemac on April 06, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
I would be very carefull, but remember everything is so dang expensive up there compared to here. Just cover your basis and make sure you're protected.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-06-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
I've got my boat up for sale in Canada right now. I just don't know where in canada to list it... provinces. For all I know I could have that thing listed in the boonies...lol.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-06-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I am Canadian and would be looking in the States to buy a used boat but I already have one. Same with a car. My father bought one last year and is basically flippin it up here to make 10K! As long as you have the money then who cares right!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
.....yes the used market really sucks up here....especially for inboards.....I am a little surprised about i/o but there are still savings to be had I guess.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
tanner.....list it in montreal..... toronto......vancouver...calgary ......on Craigs list and Kijiji........and Onlyinboards....I think we all look at the american ads too.

the biggest provinces up here for boarding are ontario alberta british columbia and quebec...pretty much in that order.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on April 06, 2008)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
nu bu, in February of 2007 $1 US was $1.18 CDN and in November $1 US was $0.96 CDN. It's been hovering around even since December. The guy that bought a boat show special last year paid an 18% premium over what a guy could get it for this year if the dealers were on the same markup. They're not though. They're still trying to cover last year and not discounting this year as much.
Nobody wants to sell a boat this year used and take a huge hit and that's what they would have to do to compete with an american price.
Go to gm.com and gm.ca to get an idea of the price difference on new cars between the USA and Canada right now.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
In 2002 $1.00 US cost $1.60 CDN. There probably were not many Canadians looking for US used boats in the early part of that year. The market just looks relatively better over time to a Canadian (Says the guy who drove up from Portland this week with a new truck)
Old    jt12            04-06-2008, 11:52 PM Reply   
For the Americans looking at selling and advertising in Canada I would suggest doing so mainly in the western provinces, Alberta is where the money is at right now and has been for a couple years. I think Alberta has the #1 Mastercraft and Malibu dealers in Canada. I would not be surprised if the Mastercraft dealer here in Alberta sells more boats than any other dealer in the US and Canada, could be wrong but that is what I have heard. My 2 cents.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
What's your point Art. I simply stated that the us dollar is worth more than the canadian dollar right now as you said it wasn't. Cars and everything else have always been more in canada than the us. The government taxes the crap out of them, and automakers don't let canadians buy cars down here new, at least they are not supposed to. It's been a big deal around my area, dealerships have been turning canadians away for a while now.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on April 07, 2008)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
...canadians are still buying cars down there in droves......my neighbour just had a family member in the states buy a van for him down there and paid both american and canadian taxes...so warranty is good...,.still saved 7000$
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
I don't know what it is about the northern washington area, they were turning canadians away from buying cars near the border towns. They said GM and Ford wouldn't allow it.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on April 07, 2008)
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Albertans are buying boats, cars, rv's in large numbers from Montana. The only car brand that I have heard of turning down the warranty has been Honda, so far. My Ford Explorer came from the US through my local Ford dealer. He was more than happy to make a thousand dollars on the vehicle and I didn't need to go and get it or deal with the paperwork, etc. He point blank said he would make money where ever he can. Our vehicle had 8000 km on it and has full warranty.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-07-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
I bought my current boat in washington and next year when I'm lookiong for a new truck i'll be buying it in the US as well.

The savings for us is quite significant.

Canadatrader.com is a good place to list boats/cars.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
The major manufacturers are trying to keep their dealerships stable. A few years ago trucks were substantially cheaper to buy in Canada than they were in the US and the manufacturers did exactly the same thing going the other way.
You could make money in northern Washington by buying a car, not driving it, and listing it for sale in Canada as soon as you have the title in your hands.
Old     (epic_peachland)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-07-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Yes even before the dollar change buying a boat in the US was better. You have far greater selection and therefore the price drops. and NU BU with dollar as it currently sits. The difference on 40 grand is 480 dollars....that is nothing in comparasin to the price difference.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
"Later this year the Canadian dollar will probably drop below the US one again but who knows how much."

This was my point Shane, it already has and probably won't drop much more than it has already. Our dollars will probably be pretty even for quite a while now.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Ron from Canada here,

There is alot of us looking for good used boats from the States, and the reason is quite simple!

The people here that bought boats in 05/06 had a very high exchange rate (+/-$1.20) so the paid around 65 -70K for a very well equipped VLX, If they opted for twenty year financing (which had to be done to make the payments attractive) they stil owe between 55-60K for thier boat thus the used market here is at par with the new market.

An 05 VLX in California sells between 40-45K (onlyinboards.com) so the savings are significant.

I will say that after searching all winter I wound up buying new here in Alberta because the price has come down and I have dealer support.

To close the deal ask the buyer for $1000.00 non refundable money order couriered to you with the balance due within a week. If he/she is serious about it a week should not be a problem. Just be as open and honest about the boats condition when you talk to them.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Ron that's good to know thanks.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
No problem,

Someone living out west could make a living out of setting up these deals. The dealerships in the west are hard to find on the net and don't seem to keep thier inventory up to date. You could also make a grand per boat just by meeting the buyer in Montana.
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Ron is dead on. I live in Ontario I suppose near Toronto for anyone Geographically challenged. Everyone I know who has purchased or is purchasing a boat looks in the States first. It's only because of the strength of our dollar, that's it. Don't be surprised if you're selling a boat and someone from Canada contacts you.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
yeah, we'll see how it goes. this guy says he'll do it however i want and has even offered cash. i'm not super comfortable with that, but it may be the only way short of wiring to an escrow. i'm not going to take a check (of any kind). we can go into my bank together, deposit the cash, pay off the loan and he can get a copy of the released title. that along with copies of the bill of sale and registrations and he should be good to go. the only catch is, we'll have to fill out a fed form because the deposit is over $10K, but my bank said with a copy of the bill of sale and our ID's it's no big deal. then all i'd have to do is login to the dmv website and release interest in the boat and trailer. we'll see if he even responds. i could be wrong, but i have a hunch it could be a scam. he did seem to know what it would cost him though and also said he had some customs paperwork that he'd send me that i would have to fill out. i'll keep you posted. i'm betting i don't hear back after my last email.

(Message edited by brucemac on April 07, 2008)
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Same out East Ron, Huge market out here for used boats. I'm not informed about what Tarifs you have to pay, but a friend told me there wasn't any for a boat he recently purchased.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
i was told by this guy (B.C.) that it was 7% to bring across and another 14% to register in Victoria.
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
You may be surprised Bruce, I know 3 different buyers that drove around 20 hrs. each south of the border to purchase a boat. I think it's good to be skeptical but he may be a legitimate buyer.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
for an 18ft I/O though? my boat is in excellent contition though and has about $7-8K in upgrades with labor though. it's a pretty sweet deal really. my price is fair too, well below average NADA retail. he didn't offer full price, but gave me a fair offer that i said i would take. we'll see if he responds.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
he said he owns a business and that he was buying the boat for a client. said if his client didn't want it, he'd buy it. that was one of the things that seemed a little fishy. that and the fact that he didn't really ask me a lot about the boat. i called him on that and he said he knew the boat and as long as it was everything i said it was that it was no problem (and it is). i told him everything that was wrong with it, (couple of very minor things) and also told him that i had damaged the prop and skeg my 3rd time out, but had it all fully inspected, shaft inspected, repaired the skeg and replaced the prop etc. he didn't seem to care. i do have all the service records and stuff and just told him that i wanted to be honest and up front about everything. we'll see if i hear back.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Bruce I will look up the price of your Maxum up here. One of the guys I boat with has that exact same boat minus some of the extra options you added. I think you would be surprised at how much they are. Do you have the advertisement you are using to sell your boat? Price?
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
If it is used there is a $209.00 import paperwork charge, GST, and any provincial taxes have to be paid (same as here) also the trailer needs to be registered so the buyer will have to have a bill of sale prior to picking it up. The trailer is inspected at the border to ensure its legal for Canadian roads.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Trent, yeah, if you can that would be cool. Let me know. Here's my add. There's a link with better pics too.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/627791722.html
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Check this add out. There are lots more I found as well. Just to give you an idea of cost.

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=31535790&pgno=1&srt=1
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
The 3.0 l in yours will drop the price quite a bit, but I think you can see the market can be ridiculous up here.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Bruce, That would sell here in about a week for 20K
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
that link didn't work... tried searching BC for Maxum 1800 and nothing came up...
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
search all regions on the pick list
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
I just tried the link and it worked fine. There are lots of other websites to look. There is a few large Maxum dealers in Alberta. I will dig a little deeper if I have time.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
From what I saw, on the west coats boats aren't any more expensive than down here.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
ahhhh, searched all provinces. wow. they are expensive. then my boat would be worth it to someone looking to make a quick buck i suppose. especially with the condition and all the upgrades. still a little skeptical though. that's a long haul. we'll see if i hear back.

(Message edited by brucemac on April 07, 2008)
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
NU-BU check out the prices from Quebec on something like this Response.

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=22227405&pgno=10&srt=1
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
That is a little rediculous!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
....quebec is crazy... i dont even bother checking there anymore. Now the guy will have to pay both taxes coming back into canada....and from what I saw the asking price isnt that much more to justify going there to get it. Up here he would pay about 7% less tax and no fees for trailer stuff etc.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
The Quebec prices always seem to be high for some reason. Maybe some one from La Belle Provence can tell us why? I don't know if I spelled that correct!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
michael, so you're saying it is not worth it then? did seem odd, and haven't heard back, so i'm assuming it's not legit.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Trentj6930 and nu bu, I live in Canada. I have to say that the price on that Response is Stupid. Anyone that buys that Response has more money then brains.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I would agree Robert. But I have seen used 06/07 Responses for $50k in Alberta as well. When we were searching for a boat we looked everywhere but I did seen to notice the high price trend in Quebec. Don't know why? By the way I like the Calabria! Where did you pick it up?
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I came very close to purchasing an 07 Supra 21v from a guy in Boise but I couldn't get a straight answer from Wells Fargo on getting the title transferred to me. Long story short, bought a local 07 VTX. Maybe paid a little more than one out of the US, but getting it a local dealer should pay out on service and parts etc.

(Message edited by trentj6930 on April 07, 2008)
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Trentj6930-- I got it at VP racing fuels through Jordan. He was selling Calabria boats.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
That's kind of what I figured. He isn't selling them anymore is he?
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Trentj6930--- I dont't think so. I think a place in south Alberta. Where do you go with your boat?
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Cow Lake, 15 minutes outside of Rocky Mtn House.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
What's the water like? Is it a big lake. Never heard of it. We are at little bow.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Not real big. Maybe 4 miles long, 1 mile across. It is only about 15 feet deep so it warms up pretty quick. Soft bottom so it isn't an issue to beach your boat if you need to. It usually isn't that busy, that's the way we like it.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-07-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Buy my X-1!

Great Value for the money. Buy local and keep our economy going strong!

Not to mention I need this gone in the next 3 weeks as I am getting my X-Star.

Only X-1 for sale in Ontario (used)

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=152691
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Greg, I have seen your boat several times on the for sale forums. I can't believe that it has not sold. Looks great. I did buy local! It kills me to see your price that low up here and no one has bit yet. Good luck with the sale. Did you buy the 40th anniversary X-star?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-08-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Ya, getting the 40th in a few weeks... I need this gone!! I am selling at a competitive price to the usd market now.

I am taking a hit as I bought it at $1.20.......

Best of all it still has factory warranty!
Old    jt12            04-08-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Trent6930, you actually take your boat and board at Cow Lake? We go fishing there and I figured that is all that lake is good for. I know Sylvan is busy but at least you have some good scenery on the beach. You are not far from a few decent lakes, Buck, Gull, Pigeon, Buffalo.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Josh, Cow Lake is an awesome watersports lake. There is at least 8-10 tournament boats there every weekend. Soft bottom, not a bad beach. You have to remember that most of us are old and already have families. Scenery just gets us in crap!
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
Trent....ssshhhhh!
Old    jt12            04-09-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have not been out there for a few years, I can imagine it has a soft bottom it is pretty well all muskeg out there. Your guys secret is good with me we got lakefront property on Buffalo so it is hard to get away from there with the lake 100 steps from your door. I will agree with you on the scenery, just got married last year so Sylvan is not the best place to go.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Josh, how is the water at Buffalo, we are going to a friends cabin this summer and have never been to Buffalo. clean, depth, choppy?
Our home lake is Pigeon and the water has been toxic with blue green algie after about mid July for the last 2 years.
Old    jt12            04-09-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Buffalo is a big lake, last year it was up 12-24" throughout the year, it is shallow towards the shoreline (5-10ft) and 15-20 in the middle. The lake overall is clean but can get choppy on windy days, boat traffic won't be an issue as there are many bays and shorelines to ride. My family owns the marina at Pelican Point, my dad is there on weekends and sometimes during the week he would gladly point you in the right direction on where to go and not to go.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-10-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Josh,

What are the chances of getting a spot at that marina? We live at cooking lake (unrideable) but stay at pelican point quite a bit. It would be sweet to be able to keep the boat there and not have to haul it all the time ($$$)

If you see a blue and white nautique this year come say hi
Old    jt12            04-10-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Trapper, the Marina is mainly full all year with seasonal customers but there are a few openings on weekends. I believe there may be a few seasonal spots opening this year as we are going to be expanding again. Let me know what your interested in a seasonal or just a few weekends and I will see what I can come up with. The marina has a locked security gate on it which you would get a code for, we have had the marina for 3 or 4 years now and not one incedent of theft or vandalism.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-10-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
I would prefer a seasonal pass if available (depending on price) but a weekend pass here and there might be ok if the seasonals are no longer available.

you can e-mail me at Thovland@hotmail.com if you prefer with price info etc.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-10-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Bruce,
I sold a traded in 2001 Maxum 1800SR with about the same hours and engine as yours for 13000 cdn to a person in Alberta this winter, so your boat is a good price. You've got a tower, high end stereo, bimini and dual batteries that mine didn't have. If I didn't have other boats already in stock I'd be interested in yours.
I would be cautious about people wanting to send you money by Western Union. I've always used a currency exchange place out of Saskatoon, SK. to do my wire transfers(they do have other office locations). Better rates than the banks.
Old    jt12            04-11-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Trapper, I will find out what will be available this weekend, I will be at the cabin and will be working on the marina. I think the price for a seasonal stall for a 20'+ boat is between $450-500. I will let you know.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Josh,

thanks a lot, if one is available I will almost certainly take it. Subject to WAP (wife approval process)