Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a link or video of Shapiro crashing on an old Skurfer and pulling through? He basically gets submerged but manages it. It's not the one of him from ESPN footage. Thanks in advance, I've heard several times about but I've never seen it.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-21-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
I have it on a video tape but I'm out of town for work. I'll try to post it when I return (Aug 2), unless someone posts it before then.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
This one is pretty nuts... might not be the one you think it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcdHt36DRxk
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Nm, you said NOT ESPN, sorry.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-21-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Shapiro is ridiculous. That's 12 years ago...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-21-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
there is another one where he was basically all the way under water, and came out of it. I believe he was riding either his pro model directional board with the flames on it, or the H.O. hyperlite pro board.

edit- check his toe side cut into that double up. nutty.

(Message edited by ttrigo on July 21, 2009)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
Yep, nobody charges the wake like he does. He lays the board deeper in the water than anybody else I've ever seen. Dean Smith is the only one IMO that even comes close behind the boat.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-21-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
LOL, oh man his 141 board is almost as big as he is!!! Flipping amazing how hard that guy cuts and how big he goes.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Train, thats the one he's supposedly fully or nearly fully submerged and rides it out. I was told it was like on a skurfer but it may not have been.

Nick, thanks but that was the one I did see which is sick too.

Is him doing big airs like a small man dunking? Looks extra cool cuz he's so short?
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
I think I know what you are talking about, but I don't remember the name of the video. It was this old school video, he was on a skurfer in a competition and there was an announcer yelling like "No, it can't be, he's pulling out of it. Yes he's done it!!"

Sidenote: Holy hell, how in the world did he pull out of that speed ball??!! The guy is a frickin' animal. Makes me feel lame for EVER letting go of the rope!! Haha.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have it on video somewhere too, I think. It's an old HO video where he's also riding behind helicopters and the like. He's not on a skurfer (those were Tony Finn's boards, I think) but the HO directional board with phasers and neon. He could throw pretty cool looking front flips even back then.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yep, it was an HO video. I guess you are right, it wasn't a technical "skurfer", although that's what we always called any directional board. We were young and didn't know/care. Dang, what the heck was the name of that movie??!!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-21-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
It's in the H.O. Instructional video "Ready to Rip". The footage is from one of the pro tour stops. He lands a raley and does a blind tic toc but catches his edge and bites it. He's completely underwater and tumble turns back up with his back foot out of his bungee binding.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nice Ryan, yep that's the one! I wonder if my parents still have that somewhere randomly in their house. It's funny, back then, I was just a kid and had no idea what wakeboarding really was, and we only did it like twice a year. We were just happy to get up and ride around.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
I love this part: "It's kinda hard to see the water...because...you know...it's a front flip"

hahaha