Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    ld_dog            11-03-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
How old is too old to wakeboard? I am 30 yrs old just started a year ago and love it. Progressing ok, landing HS FS 3's, almost sticking backroll and tantrums. Is anyone out there as old as me that rides with passion?Is it too old to start out?
Old    nooner            11-03-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
same age as you. Not doing too many tricks though. But I do have fun. I have some older friends that ride and land backrolls and tantrums.
Old    lucky            11-03-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
There are lots of us, the way I see it as long as we stay active and flexible we are good for another 10+ yrs.
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-03-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
Hey there (34 yo female here)...just started this year and it is awesome. I wish I would have done this many years sooner. I have had so much fun....its a totally different feeling riding on the water...I never thought I would enjoy it so much....Anyways really bummed that the season is over.....I am itching like crazy to get out...Glad to hear your enjoying it....Your never too old..
Old    jbf            11-03-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
no you are not to young to start out

just another few months and i,m 40.And i,m not planning to stop with wakeboarding untill my body is giving me the warning signs.Sure i need more time to recover after a bad crash but i,m still ripping.(for the time being)
i think being 30 is young and if you already sticking 3's after 1 year of wakeboarding you will learn a ton of new tricks the next 10 years.

see a video of this old dude.
http://www.riversidewakeboarding.nl/video,s/Back%20to%20back.MPG
http://www.riversidewakeboarding.nl/video,s/BN..360.MPG
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-03-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
We took a 40+ year old guy. Crashed trying a raley 3x in a row. He also landed a few backrolls. He was a skier and held the rope with a baseball bat grip - he twisted every time he threw a raley. Told him to go palms down... Oh well, very fun to watch.

(Message edited by rootc on November 03, 2003)
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-03-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
I am 31 ...*female* and I just started this year...LOVE IT, totally addicted! most of the guys I ride with are in their late 20's early 30's and they are all really good. but one of the guys I ride with regularly, Novak, is in his 40's and he RIPS...total motivation.

I look forward to progressing this winter *its nice cuz all the guys I ride with get excited for me and give me tons of advice..which I always welcome* and hopefully once summer hits again I'll be at a really good 'consistent' riding level. right now I am working on my 180 airs and sticking my w2w's consistently, riding switch and surface trix. I am totally happy with my skill level and have fun everytime I go out, so I focus on keeping it fun and I know the progression will come with more and more ride time

good luck! and don't stop till your body says "For the love of God...NO MORE!!"
Old    hitit            11-03-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
47 here. Just started in July. I'm having a blast. I can do a fe tricks but not very well. All of the people we ride with are over forty. I think we've lost our minds. We are gearing up for winter with dry suits. Just can't get enough.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-03-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
I took my 68 year old mother out wakeboarding last August. She had a blast. She even tried it again a couple weekends later with her younger brother. You're never too old!
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
There is this guy Cliff who wakeboards on Lake Mendocino in Norcal and he has to be at least 55 or 60. He is all inked up and throws wake to wake grabs and 180s.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
im gonna wakeboard for as long as i can which i hope will be a long time from now only being 16
Old    rdierolf            11-03-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
my dad wakeboards, hes turning 36. The last time he wakeboarded he was probably 33. hes been out due to an ankle injury, but hes hoping to get supportive bindings and go out this winter. he cand do ts 180s and hs w2w jumps
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
I started last year at 36. Many of the people I ride with are in their 30s and most can do several inverts and/or spins (i'm not one of them, I only do HS and TS W2W 180's, several grabs and an awesome faceplant). My body certainly can't take what it could ten years ago but I'm sure I have several more years of wakeboarding left in me.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-03-2003, 5:40 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=7836

First guy in the video just turned 40.

Last guy is 54.

I think you'll be just fine!
Old    beerdrnknboardr            11-03-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
Its not about the age, its about the desire to ride. Guy I know whos boat gets the most water time is over 45, and know a few others that have started when they were older than you and they all seem to enjoy it. Some try hard tricks some dont, but the ones who try love it and want it.
Old    fng03            11-03-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
I just started the end of the season this year (cursed Northern Illinois weather!), and I am 33.
It's kind of a drag knowing that no matter what I accomplish, there will always be some twelve-year-
old better than me, but I am only doing this to have fun anyway.

The fact that you are enjoying it is all that matters. Good luck on your inverts!

(Message edited by fng03 on November 03, 2003)
Old    steveaz            11-03-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
Nice job Brian! Lot's of style in your riding.

36 here, and charging (and crashing) harder than ever.
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-04-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
I started wakeboarding in 96 when I was 31 and the first year I picked up 180s, ts/hs fs 360s, backroll, tantrum and the occasional backroll to revert. Unfortunately I got sidelined for 4 years starting in 97 when I tore my ACL and then wound up having complications that resulted in 2 more ACL reconstructions. I was able to start riding again in 2001 and since then I've I learned a blind 180, bs360, ts540, indy tantrum, scarecrow, ts backroll, switch tantrum and almost had a raley a few times. Unfortunately I tore my other ACL going for a switch tantrum (I had just started landing them consistently) and once again had reconstruction a little over a month ago.

I think you are never too old to wakeboard although my knees are arguing with me about that. I'm almost 39 now and I guess there comes a time when you have to admit that you can't keep up with the teenagers any more and be happy just being able to ride.

I hope all you older guys appreciate me taking all the hits so the majority of you can keep your original ACLs
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-04-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
cool to hear someone else doing switch tantrums. those seem to be rare (i've only managed to land 2 so far). started wakeboarding once or twice a year a few years ago. got serious about it last summer (of 2002). that was when i was 35. now 36, but in that time have landed the following: regular and switch fs 180s, backroll, ts backroll, hs front flip, tantrum, regular and switch hs fs 3, ts fs 3, switch tantrum.

check out any local competition you can find. you're sure to find some older guys and gals that rip it up. we have some excellent folks out here at the canyon lake wakeboard club in the masters division and the veterans division. guys that put me to shame skill-wise. so there's no reason you can't progress for many years to come. i sure hope to!
Old    gnil            11-05-2003, 3:04 AM Reply   
FEAR !!!!!!!! With age comes FEAR!!!!!
I am 37 and started last year. I'm just crazy about it but realise that one of my main block to progress is being scared to hurt myself..... something that wasn' t woriing me at all as a teenager doing snow skiing, riding dirt bikes, .... Would step 3 help ???
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 4:58 AM Reply   
Hi Lawrence, I'm 43 and have been wakeboarding 4 years and compete against kids in the Performance Gravel Tour intermediate division for the last 2 years. I have placed in the top 3 overall or better the last two years. ahd have had a few first place finishes. The overall title is a 6 round format that last all summer. There's an average of 12 to 15 of us competing in that division, attached is a photo taken by Barry Vaught at stop #5, he's a professional wakeboard photographer.
Old    wakeboard_dad            11-05-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
You're only as old as you feel. I'm almost 52 years young and I love to board. Just ordered a new '04 Mobius LSV so I can get more air and compete with my kids.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-05-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
35 here. I think it is more about what kind of shape you are in. If your are into it, get your butt in the weight room or where ever and get in shape. The problem with age, as i see it, is that the older you get, the more out of shape you get b/c of work, slowing metablolism, etc. Need to keep your body and mind young, wakeboarding will follow.
Old    disbemrj            11-05-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Started at 40. Now I am 42. I have fun, but don't progress as quickly as I would like to, but that is because I just don't make the time to train like I need to.
I plan to wakeboard as long as it is still fun and right now I can't ever see myself stopping.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Having just celebrated the 31st anniversary of my 29th birthday, I feel that I should say that wakeboarding is a lifestyle not a sport. I compete with my 16 year old son all the time, and although he is doing inverts and all I have is a surface 180 to faceplant, I do give him a run for his money. Age does not matter, its a state of mind.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
Gary,
Right on!
BTW, that white-on-white Malibu is tight!
Old    blind5            11-05-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
i say your never too old to wakeboard. check out the masters division those guys can kill it (Myles Armstrong KGB, crow mobe, skeezer enough said)
Old    kevlar            11-06-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
It's all about breaking down the boundaries.
A word to the wise, though; take it easy if you think your bones and joints are starting to go. It is possible to die waking, and that possibility decreases as your bone strength decreases. Just slow down on ur 1080s once u hit that point.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-06-2003, 4:32 PM Reply   
I'm 42, I just enjoyed my first summer with my brand new Super Air Team Edition and I just got back from a three-day weekend at The Boarding School with Travis and Shaun. I'm mostly self-taught so my riding is a bit unorthodox and sloppy, but I definitely have a passion for wakeboarding and I plan to board as long as my body will let me.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-07-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
dococ, thanks man. yes the boat is sweeeeeeeet
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-09-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
Gary - I'd like to shake you're hand. The "state-of-mind" statement is right on. Amen brother.
Old    viabaja            11-09-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Lawrence,

I'm 51 and have been wakeboarding for over 4 years. My wife who is 5 years junior has been doing the same. Before that, it was slalom sking. As a couple of people said - it's about wanting to get out on the water and have fun. As one becomes bored with one's level, you push a little more for something else.

The only age drawback is indurance & recovery time. Those sore muscles and aches stay with you alot longer those someone in their 20's & 30's. Plus, as one gets older, you prefer warmer water. I admit it, I don't get in the water until it's in the mid 70's and the air temp is equal!! Hell, I'm running my boat heater in the middle of May!

Next season I'm looking to try wakesurfing. Looks like a blast!

Chris
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
My family started boating when I was a kid and now at 46 with kids 18 years to 10 months I am going to be on the water for a long time. I have to admit I have never taken as hard falls that I have wakeboarding but it SURE IS FUN!