Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-22-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
What's up with Helium lately? Seems like they aren't putting out any new stuff or very limited and not near as attractive/stylish as their previous vests.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
good question

deffinately appear to be shrinking for whatever reason(s).
They had a massive sale a year ago, i think it was... which may also point to a cuting-back kind of trend.
i was one of many who got a vest from that sale. I got a helium swat after hearing many reviews. personally though, i would say that it is only a small step better than a plain front-zip stearns (same company really) that i have. it is kooler that is for sure, but build quality, weight, and thickness, and even mobility all feel about the same to me.

speaking of stearns, I kinda feel like stearns is on an opposite sort of trend and is expanding and adding a bit more style. they have added some vests with features that appeal more to watersports: angled zips, flex zones, etc. http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Wate...ckets-C23.aspx

take these two vests for example
stearns http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Mens...-P1867C23.aspx
helium http://www.stearnsflotation.com/AMP-...-P1969C34.aspx

but then again i am speaking about and comparing the CGA line only
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
Helium went down hill quick as soon as Stearns took over. I believe Helium came from the ashes of Nevin, and was a strong brand, but then they sold to Stearns.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-24-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
YUP I used to ride for them. Sterns got involved and that was the end. They made some great product when things were good.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
mitch and andy, what you guys said i guess that supplements what i have seen in stearns getting more "innovative."

i guess it could be said that stearns was the leach that latched onto helium and sucked the life from it... ha funny... now stearns will have a little-man voice cause it sucked helium... ha git it?

;P
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-25-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
So disappointing because Helium had, IMO, the best looking CGA vests that were not bulky.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
^^^
+1
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       01-25-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
didnt tom fooshee ride for them too for a little while. I remember him and like Sam collins in videos riding with them. I got the swat because it looked dope and was looking forward to the newer models but was let down