Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-06-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
OK, so now that I've got the SAN in the garage, I've started looking at the stereo system. The stock Clarion XMD1 keeps coming up with ER-6 90% of the time when we try to play CD's, so that's the first thing that's gonna go. I also have a speaker (bow, port side) that's blown, so it's probably time for new in-boat speakers as well.

Here's my current setup:
========================
Head Unit: Clarion XMD1
Clarion Wired Remote
In-Boat Speakers: 6.5" Stock Speakers in stock locations
Subwoofer: Kicker 10" (not sure about the model)
Amp: Sony Xplod XM1505SX (45x4 + 150x1, I think)

Here's what I'm planning so far:
================================
New Head Unit w/iPod Control (need suggestions here)
6 Polk MM651 Speakers http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_107MM651/Polk-Audio-MM651.html?tp=95
New 4 Channel Amp for Polk speakers (Boston Acoustics GT475 http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_065GT475/Boston-Acoustics-GT-475.html?tp=27743)

New sub, amp #2, and Tower Speakers will come later when I can afford it...right now, we just want to have some good tunes in the boat. All that being said, here are my questions:

1) For those of you who have replaced the XMD1/XMD3/etc with a single-din head unit, has anyone figured out what to do about the ugly void that's left around the face? I was thinking about taking an outline of the face to our local plastics shop and having them cut a piece of carbon-fiber looking material as a bezel.

2) Is it possible to remove the stock wired remote as well? We haven't had the greatest luck with Clarion products, so I was thinking about a Pioneer or Sony head unit, but I don't want to have a wired remote that only functions as a helm ornament.

3) At Crutchfield, it says the Polk speakers are actually a 6.75" model instead of a true 6.5". Will these still work if I want to front-load them?

4) Is front-loading the speakers as hard as it seems? Do you just have to drill holes through the vinyl and the backing board to mount the speakers?

Enough questions for now...thanks in advance for the help.

(Message edited by h2ohangtime on November 06, 2009)

(Message edited by h2ohangtime on November 06, 2009)