Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dcrillz)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-08-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 MC X Star and need to replace the raw water impeller. This is the first time doing it on my own and need to know: where is it locate and what type of impeller can I use to replace it?

Thanks
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       07-08-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Easy. First, write down your engine make and model and call a Masteraft dealer and ask for the impeller part number for your engine. You can also go to somewhere like a West Marine store and the parts department can help research that info too. Keep this info because you will need it the next time you change the impeller. Next, Google 2001 Mastercraft manual and download the manual which show you the location of the water pump which houses the impeller. From there is merely a few bolts to remove the impeller cover plate from the water pump, then pull out the old impeller. Push the new one in and replace the cover. There is more than likely a gasket behind the cover...use white lithium grease to hold the gasket in place when replacing the cover and it also helps improve the water tight seal.
Done!!!

Also, google & youtube "how to change a boat impeller" or something similar to find some how-to videos. Good luck!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
Its not that hard to do. Just have to pull straight out. Pulling it at an angle makes it tuff and its not in the easiest location. Your MC dealer or any indmar dealer will have them in stock. Good luck its an easy DIY.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
contact skidim for the part, great people to work with. The housing is located on the front of the motor, rear of boat. Remove the cover, spray with a little WD, and turn the engine over a few times. Then use two paint can openers to pull the old one out.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-08-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
If you have an Indmar GM 5.7L (Accept for the LT1) this should be the right one:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

I think your options for that year/model were the 5.7L LTR or the 5.7L TBI. They both use the same impeller it's a "Johnson 812" if you want to look for it locally.
Old     (dcrillz)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-08-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Good to hear that it is easy. Thanks for the help guys
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
Paint can openers good idea.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-08-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
A pair of paint can openers were key for me. Others like the trick of pulling the kill lanyard and cranking the engine over a bit with the pump cover removed.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-08-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
I used all of the above tips (church keys, wd40 and bump) and I got the project done for the very first time ever last friday night in about 25 minutes start to finish.