Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-15-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
Hey, I've tried this trick the whole summer, and I still haven't ridden away from one with the rope. More often than not, I can't get the handle pass to save my life. any advice on passing the handle would be greatly appreciated...I don't know how many more tries I'm going to get before the end of the season. for the record, I have no problem passing the handle on land or when I'm not in the air, although passing on the water (surface 180's and the like) is slightly hard. Either way, it's still hard on the surface.

Are ts fs 3's easier anyways? those seem easier to land wrapped from.

(Message edited by runaway_stapler on September 15, 2004)
Old                09-16-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
try to stay upright more by keeping your head up it makes the handle pass easier. try them on a trampoline if possible it really helps. i learned ts 3s first and they're easier to get the rotation cause your kinda wound up. hs 3's are easier to land tho. also make sure your in the air before you spin to stay on axis.

(Message edited by edward on September 16, 2004)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-16-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
Overexaggerate the pulling with 2 hands to your back, with your eyes on the horizon.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-17-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
My method involves cheating. You start with the handle very close to your belly, so that way the actual distance of the pass is greatly reduced. You'll find as you progress that you should never have your arms extended, they need to be in tight. It takes more strength but is how it should be done.
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
ummm dont handle pass then just land with rope behind your back and lean forward
Old                09-17-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
Do the handle pass, dont land wrapped. Keep the handle tight to your body on take off. Using both hands push it to your left hip (It should never be away from your body). Let go with your right hand and keep it next to your body and rotate it behind your back. I found this to be the key, if your right hand swing out away from your body it slows the spin somewhat and makes it very hard to grab the handle with your arm why out when you swing it around. Keep both arms close to your body and the handle pass is easy. If you can grab the handle the trick will basicly land itself. Good luck!!!
Old                09-18-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice so far. a few other questions about trying it though:

1) small distance from the wake and hard progressive edge or long distance, and ease in more?

2) Short rope (55) and big (height), rampy wake or long rope and smaller, washy wake (65)?

3) My rope stretches. Is this inherently good or bad?

Thanks in advance
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Just take it wake to wake at first. You want a cut that will take you up more than out so you have minimal line tension. I think that answers 1 and 2. Rope stretch and wakeboarding = NOT GOOD. For sure get a non stretch rope before trying any spins!
Old                09-19-2004, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks. I'll try the non-stretch rope next time.
Old                09-23-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
since this is a basic spin and usually one of the first tricks with a handle pass i would recommend not taking it w2w at first. because being a 360 it really doesn't take much air to complete the spin if done right and going w2w for the more basic tricks puts more pressure on people when they should be concentrating on the handle pass but instead they're probably concentrating a little too much on clearing the other wake. also DON'T LET OFF YOUR EDGE this is what the pop comes from you want to edge all the way up the wake. its better to only go 5ft outside the wake and progressive edge in not real hard then it is to go 10ft outside the wake and come in harder and let off at the end this unloads the line somewhat and loses pop. you want to straighten up some but not let off the edge. you only need 2ft or so of air at first probably, as you get more comfortable with the trick you could probably pull it off with a foot of air or so. just really concentrate on keeping your head up, waiting until in air to spin, and getting the handle.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-23-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Do what Edward says. I would even recommend doing the trick one wake a few times until you get used to doing the handle pass, then work on your cut.
Old                09-24-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
What's wrong with this picture, then?
http://www.wakepics.com/'http://www.wakepics.com/img/11982/'

(Message edited by runaway_stapler on September 24, 2004)
Old                09-24-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
ps:

I've tried a hs bs 3 on a skateboard + rope, and it seems much easier to pass and get around. Anyone think they're easier on a wakeboard?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-24-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
The pass is easier, but staying on axis is harder.
Old                09-26-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
didn't look too bad just grab the handle.
Old                09-28-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Ed, that's the problem...i can't ever grab it. Any help?