Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Every outing I seek to improve my riding skills. This weekend we went down to Pomme de Terre. First, the lake was great - warm weather, light winds, butter till 10:30am, butter after 7:00pm. The problem is at my current level of riding, the faceplant is my most consistent trick. The people in the boat sure like to see me pull that "catch the toe-side on landing" faceplant. So, it's monday morning, my head is trobbing from countinually slapping the water with my temple and forehead at 21Mph, but I'm ready to go out again. I'm anxious to through this "dues paying" phase though - being dizzy until Wednesday morning sucks.

R
Old    cheeseinaz            08-02-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
I'm with you. We rode hard Sat and Sun. There were only 3 of us, 2000 lbs of ballast, butter until about 11 and about 3-4 sessions each. Demoed a few new boards too so we were "testing" them hard. Vitamin I is my best friend. (800 mg Ibuprofen) Got my 3's nailed though.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
Vitamin I - love it
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-02-2004, 11:52 PM Reply   
You went to a place called Potato?
Yeah I'm still wondering when the "dues paying" phase ends. NEVER! lol
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yep, we call it Potato Lake. But don't tell anybody about it - we want to keep it a secret
Old    snoobs777            08-03-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Randy, have you tried that cable park up in KC?

Over here near STL and been thinkin about coming over and tryin it out sometime.
Old    part_timer            08-03-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
I hear ya. My neck is just starting to loosen back up from Saturday.

Damn. . . 2000 lb ballast. . . nice!}
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Snoobs, I've been out there but haven't ridden on the cable yet. This is their first year open and had a national tournament stop last month. So the word is really getting out. The facility is great and I'm sure they're going to do well.
Old    snoobs777            08-03-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
dope...i think were gonna make a road trip of it one weekend or a weekday.

its not just the faceplant pain that sucks, its getting water in behind your eye sockets that freaks me the h3ll out!
Old    db32            08-03-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
Snoobs,

I have ridden the Cable Park and had a blast! It's definetly different than riding behind a boat, you can't take your concentration of what you are doing to catch your breat like you can behind a boat (you will end up with to much slack on a corner). The fun box & A frame were fun, something that I haven't experienced before, and the kicker ramp was kicker A$$! By the end of my 2 hr session I was hitting it pretty big. Sucks that it is on the other side of the lake and you have to walk back around if you don't stick it.

Go give it a shot, you will have fun. My buddies were all skeptical, so I went with out them and had a great time.

FYI, I went hard for 2 hrs, there was no waiting in line, and was spent at the end of 2.

Let me know if you have any other q's,

DB
Old    snoobs777            08-03-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
David,

Thx for all the info!!! Think I may take my older board or maybe just rent one if im gonna try and hit a ramp. How much is board rental? Got alot of rental boards and are the rentals junk? Wouldn't wanna tear up my new board. Did you feel spent at the end of 2 hours or could ya have went all day? If ya buy an all day ticket could ya leave and comeback? Kind of a haul, just might make a weekend of it....

)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm crackin' up. The dues definitely never end, at least not till you decide you never want to learn anything new, but even then you'll get caught off guard and pay major dues on something you thought you had nailed.

Anyone that says wakeboarding is for sissies hasn't ever taken one of "those" falls. They kinda feel like being tackled from behind by a lineman.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Let me tell you, I'm old enough to be most of you guys Dad, but I'm still about 18 on the inside and believe me, as you get older, that's what counts and keeps your attitude youthful. I've never been a chicken and although I don't look forward to getting pounded, it doesn't really bother me that much, nor does it stop me from trying it again.

If I ever heard anybody tell me that wakeboarding is for sissy's I'd tell them "you know your right, but it is fun and I'd love to give you a pull". Then I'd take them out, get them up, drag them over a double-up at about 40 MPH, and leave them unconscious in the middle of the freaking lake.

I didn't grow up boarding (skate, snow, wake, etc.). But I have to tell you this stuff is tough and it's tough to get to where you can say that your "accomplished". I'm working on it and will keep working on it til I get it because I NEVER give up. I just hope the cranium holds up. I took one this weekend that may have made me black out momentarily - but I can't quite remember (see what I mean?).

These DMC guys crack me up because they're just like me about 20 years ago. Keep the attitude guys, it will serve you well in the long run.

Cheers,
R

(Message edited by rschrock on August 03, 2004)
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for the support Randy. One day DMC would like to all take a roadtrip & ride in your green x2 and bring along our reef chicks.

Mango
DMC President
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Anytime my friend. And leave the reef chicks at home, I'm married to one (perk, perk, perk).

R
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Hey Mango can I be the "official video guy" for the DMC? It's one thing to hang with the Reef chicks, it another thing having video of them....
Old    db32            08-03-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
Snoobs,

When you buy your pass, you get an arm bracelet that has a bar code on it and lets you through the gate to where you start each time. So you would be able to leave and come back. Your bar code would be good for all day. I would recommend riding your own board, I was in KC to buy a new board and rode it that night. Scratched it up pretty good, but nothing that would affect its performance! The kicker probably didn't do any of that, it was the aframe and fun box. There rental gear is LF, and it is all very basic stuff for beginner's to be able to ride, wouldn't recommend renting.

2 hrs wore me out b/c I was so juiced to ride my new board and there was no line, so it was non stop riding. All day would be fun, but I would pace myself.

Have fun,
DB