Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
Let me start by letting you all know I'm not running a crazy ballast setup like some of you hardcore surfers, but after this evenings sets and experimenting with weight/speed all summer I feel like I finally got the most out of the wake that I ever have, that would easily please any beginner/intermediate surfer.

The wake had a nice size to it, and the pocket was clean and long. It had a nice defined lip, and lacked any vertical spray that I had been getting previously with too much rear weight. It even gave me enough drive quite a ways back to accelerate towards the boat and spin my first 360 and keep with the wave. I am riding a Broadcast 4ft 9in with only one small middle fin, and had the Mastercruise pegged at 10 mph.

Heres how the weighting broke down (stock water weight and lead shot/sand bags combined):
-510 lbs rear port locker back corner
-100 lbs under port middle seats
-300 lbs stock center sac
-120 lbs under front port seats

Along with the driver, we had 2 people on the port side cockpit seats and 1 person on the port side in the bow. I really think the wake can only get better with more people in the cockpit port side.

Hope this helps a bit, I know theres a lot of people with this hull out there and you're missing out if you don't surf it!

Upload

Upload
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
Clean!
Great job man, I hope you are enjoying it.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-09-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of my X-1... brother is on a obrien alias 4'6" (no comment) can free ride for about 45 secs...

Setup is
450 or so port locker
dude on rear sun pad
passenger on port bench (200ish)
Centre ballast (370lb)
250lbs of ballast in the front walkway

Mastercruise on 10.2Upload
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
Hey Roddyrod, do you have a fiberglass swim platform? I am always fighting that ridge of water, similar to that in your second photo, and am wondering if it is caused by the swim platform? The ridge seems to catch my leg and drag me out of the pocket. Has anyone else had that happen?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-02-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
No, we have teak. And that ridge is not usually there. Your right, I think it has to do with how far under water the platform is when your under way, but it doesn't negatively affect our wave shape in any way.

Tonight with this setup and only 2 people in the boat including the driver, I was able to surf for about 20 minutes straight without the handle.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Right on man. We have been riding with the following setup (port side):
V-drive sac full in engine comp.
side sac full under port seats.
v-drive sac on floor, in front of port seats.
ski locker sac full (stock).
260# lead on bow floor.
side sac on bow seats, port side.
integrated sac full under bow seats.
And, something we just learned, when adding people . . . we started adding water to the starboard engine v-drive sac, which seems to make the pocket more forgiving. I still have the problem of the wake curling, which drags me down, when about 8 feet behind the boat.

I'm hoping a faster surf board, someday, will make the wake a little more forgiving. Right now, I'm on a Landlock, which is a beast and starting to get boring. I'm curious to try the IS Loogey.