Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-14-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I'm personally a little sick of seeing these sick systems that I'll never be able to afford. Lets see the jimmy rigged, redneck, built it with what I found in the garage systems....

my camera is in the mail when it gets here I'll post my pics. Lets just say that a 3 gallon paint bucket fits almost perfectly around a 10" sub and sounds great. As for ballast.... sand bags sure are fun.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
I'll go first(or confess first) on the redneck ballast...this only works out for horse people though. 50 lb bags of horse feed, the pure grain type in the woven bags, not the processed feed in thick paper bags. They compact and shape nicely, so moving weight around to smaller storage areas is a cinch, and at $6 a bag, you can add 1000 lbs for around $120!!! Plus, you don't have to worry about getting sand in your boat and take a chance on wrecking the gel coat. At the end of your season in the Fall...you're stocked up on feed for a couple months after you unload the boat and can focus on deer hunting. If it can get any more redneck on ballast systems than that...I'd like to hear it!

(Message edited by FoxrepDC on February 14, 2006)
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-14-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
It could only get more redneck than that if you included the horse on board.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-14-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
I live in stockton on the delta and when we only had three people on my buddies sanger 215 we would go to the side of the cahnnels to the levis and pick up these big rocks to level out the boat. Pretty ghetto if you ask me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Fox rep...that IS redneck! I like it.

What are the dimensions for a 50lb bag of hourse feed?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
like 1'6" by 2'6" by maybe 6"....makes it perfect to stow, plus as I said, you can shape them so you can cram them in where ever you need weight. I may be onto something here...."Redneck Ballasts Systems....Phat wakes and Fat horses.....guaranteed!"
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-14-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
does the horse feed stink when it gets wet?
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
here are some pics of the lights i assembled, we bought the clamps but everything else is home made or rather home assembled and put together. the lights are normally used for the back of tow or garbage trucks. we wired them into the 2 additional accessory switches on the bu.

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Fox, I've got to mention something that relates to your suggestion. When I was a kid we had horses, and sometimes my Dad would bring home bags of feed in the trunk of his car. Well, some of it spilled out and got below the liner of the trunk and rotted. The car smelled like vomit from then on - you could not get rid of that smell.

Another suggestion - lead tire weights. When I had a smaller boat, I needed something really compact. I made 80 lb weights using 2 gallon plastic containers. topped 'em off with sand to fill the gaps and make them uniform. I got several hundred lbs of weights for free.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
heres a full shot:

Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Not sure about the stink....I tried this late last Fall, so they were in and out. That's why I think it would only work for horse owners...I can rotate them out....keep the wet ones and the leakers out of the boat. We buy 40-50 bags at the time.
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I used my father-in-law's ford front end tractor weights in my 86 bayliner!! 90 pounds a piece...two in the front...two in the rear...and 40 pound bricks in the ski locker. poor boat would barely get out of the water...not to mention i ripped my seat when he wanted them back in the fall to plow his fields. thankfully i bought me a wakeboard boat this winter...and a big fat sac...so now i won't be embarrassed next time someone lifts up a seat and asks why i have 90 pound ford tractor weights in my boat...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-14-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
i actually helped lift big tractor weights in my buddys 2001 SAN once.

he ended up taking them out because they were not exactly good to the hard tanks they were sitting on.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-14-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
Great stuff, lets keep it coming. I'm currently working on some rubbermade storage containers, I work in construction, so they'll be filled with concrete shortly.

Hey Tingey, nice shot of the Jordan temple, you didn't spend two years in Argentina did you?

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
andrus-
2 years in sydney australia actually, how about u
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
My friend brought me some Deer Feed back from Texas. I think if you use deer feed instead of hoarse feed it ups the redneck factor. I haven't done it yet but I just might.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-14-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Tim, horse feed isn't particularly good smelling when it's dry and Rich is very much correct that it smells VERY bad when wet and left to rot. I don't think it's anything you'd find in vomit though. I'm pretty sure it's lactobaccilius (what makes sour milk smell so foul). There are enzymes in the seeds that convert the starches in the seed to sugar so that the seed has food to grow into a plant. When the seeds get wet and warm, those enzymes activate and do their work. When this happens above ground, quite a few nasties get in there and eat the sugar instead leading to a lactobaccilius infection among other less-foul-smelling things. And for what it's worth, I know nothing about horses and little about science. I brew beer and beer is basically just malted liquid horse feed.

For my redneck creation, I fill my 5 gallon stainless homebrew kegs and strap them in on the boat along with my CO2 dispensing system. I also use some plastic sand-filled weights from my dad's first weight lifting set he bought from Sears in the mid to late 60's. 1100 lbs of various sized weights in just about every nook and cranny of the boat and all the beer anyone can drink.
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Dante - did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yeah....what he said! Good info Dante...I never knew there was so much involved with my horses diet! That sounded like the Doc from Back to the Future talking! Beer Ballast.....I like it! Actually after giving it more thought....the best Redneck Ballast and Audio system are FAT cousins that can sing. I got one cousin...big ol sum beech, rides like a 190 board, and can sing like Kenny Chesney! We have to tow him with a logging chain. I got pictures of his wake....not his boat wake, the one off the back of his board!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
OK, my camera arrived.
Redneck bass box

Sounds surprisingly good, this is my second bucket sub.

My redneck ballast. 1500lbs of type 2 gravel from my worksite in sandbags. The tubes are 4" pipe filled with concrete for the gunnals. I keep checking tire stores here for lead but everyone in vegas wants an arm and a leg for it.

Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-16-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
B Tingey. To be really redneck it has to look redneck. Your setup looks way to nice to get a redneck label
Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-16-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
I've got four 20 gallon plastic tubs in the back, fill 'em up with a five gallon bucket. Works well in calm water, but in chop, dbl ups, etc... the lids come loose and some water sloshes out. If I could find something sturdier it'd be perfect. It cost about 20 bucks and I can fill/empty it in about three minutes.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Spleen, very nice & redneck. probably a lot faster than any pump can do it, just doesn't impress the ladies as much. Tingey, would love to ride with you, but even though I'm a Utah guy, I moved to Vegas. Good thing is that it's been in the 70's all winter long. Water isn't even that bad.

I had my snow tent all built up when I winterized my boat in the fall and then we have only had 1 small rain storm all year. I finally got the boat out to start working on it and we got a cold front. I also realized why no one here actually winterizes their boats. My biggest problem is finding people down here to ride with. If you want to take a Vegas trip I'll be happy to go out.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-16-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
that mastercraft has one wild interior configuration.
Old    robertt            02-16-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Yes, that mastercraft does. I had to go look at your profile to figure out what it was. That is crazy.

Last year I put the word out that I needed some lead. A few hours later, a 55 gallon drum of lead arrived. Huge ugly pieces, some from huge tractor tire weights and some from lead plumbing joints that were cut out. 1200 pounds.

I ran up to Lowes, and bought a turkey fryer, three propane tanks, and two cases of beer.

I sat around and drank all the beer, and melted lead that I poured into 18" long pieces of 4" PVC pipe. The end result was not very ghetto, but the process was. I will definitely die a few years sooner from the fumes I would guess (did it outside but it still stank). I can only imagine what the neighbors thought.

Oh...and as far as ghetto ballast...does trolling the banks for 300+ pound women count?

They always seem to have a G string on. Looks like a 4' round head of cauliflower with a rubber band stretched around it.

Blhhhaaa
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-16-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Robert, now that is damn funny....cauliflower.....literally laughing out loud.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-16-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Fox, that is red thru and thru and I should know living in the mountains of north Ga.

My contribution to redneck engineering is the milk jug filled with concrete for an anchor. When it gets hung on the trees at the bottom of my lake, I just take off, the handle breaks and I still have my cheap ass Home Depot anchor rope.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-17-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
psyclone wins!

My boat is a little customized, wrap around seating is pretty nice. I built the deck with some plywood and 2x4's from my work site. Bottom looks like crap but the top is nice. Also provides great space for sand bags, concrete forms and my fat seat.

Lets see if that works for me. Hey everyone, I need a 55 gallon drum of lead. Thank you.

Realisticly I probably could get away with 300 lbs for the nose. I can hide the rest under the back seat.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-17-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
a 55 gal drum of lead would weigh over 5300 3's -- yikes
Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-20-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Here's pics of my ballast "system";)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-20-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Rob,

I remember talking to a guy at a shooting range in Vegas who quoted me very cheap for a 55 gallon container of lead. I would call around.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-20-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I'm glad I am not alone in this department. Some old bags of concrete does the trick for me. Just gotta keep um wrapped in plastic.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-23-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
I just had a thought for a permanent ballast system, -though not completely original- The concrete bags, just put them in the areas under the seat and let them get wet. They'll never come out with out a jack hammer but a really redneck way to add a few hundred pounds.
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
ziplock makes some huge bags for hunting clothing, I bet you could get them pretty cheap and put your concrete bags in them.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-24-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
The neighbor installed their pool and tore up their existing concrete. I have 200 lbs of chunks underneath my front seat cushions. Along with 200 of plastic coated lead plates from rollover testing of cars.