Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Couple of weeks ago, this A-Hole I know, who will remain nameless was making fun of my riding. Apparently I do this weird thing with my hand when I land a toe side trick. I had no idea, but once he was kind enough to point it out, I quickly realized that I DO throw up my back hand for balance, and it IS kind of weird. So, once I developed a complex about my habit, I started watching everyone else.

1. Daryl wipes his face like he's feeling the 5 o'clock shadow, just before he is about to go for a big trick.

2. I land with one hand up, and I fix my shorts too much.

3. Scotty sets the handle unusually low (by his knee) when he squares off for a hs trick.

I'm wondering what some of the other habits are that people do. Please share!

EVERYONE pulls down the shorts between tricks. If you don't yet, you should, it’s cool.

Here's the picture they sent to make fun of me, while I wasn't even on the boat. This is also the A-hole I mentioned.

Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-22-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
LMAO!!!!!!

you do have a arm thing i just didnt want to hurt your feelings.. j/k i actually do that same arm thing when i land toe side also. i think its because we get so much pop on are toe side......

as for a wierd habbit, if you watch me set up before a hs blind 180, i will cut out into the flat, ride with my back hand off and my front arm straight with both palms down low by my hips, i think its a snow board think i developed when i was a kid. i pause for a second reach in with my back hand and cut. it looks weird but its working, lol.

oh ya, ^^^^^second^^^^^^the fanatic about adjusting my draws. you dont wanna see my tan line, and i seem to have a chronic crack kills problem while riding.
Old    walt            09-22-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
This should be a good thread.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
I think I got that arm thing from learning TS 360s. I used to land hard on the toe edge, loose my grip on the handle (I pass it) and fall right onto my face. The hand was a crutch to brace for impact.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-22-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
I don't have any bad habits, and I am good looking!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
What's up duesch bag...

You tuck one arm in your vest...how about that sucka?

You also nod your head after you land a big backroll like some kind of psycho.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
I know of a couple of people [mostly shane bonifay] that cock their left [back] arm when cutting toeside [not approaching the wake]. When I land something sketchy on my heels I always put my back hand out like you do on your toes. I noticed a lot of people, while cutting toeside, will start with the handle way out, and as they cut in, bring it closer and closer. I noticed that before I do a handle pass trick, or if the print on the handle is upside down, I will pull really hard to create slack in the line, then toss and flip the handle so that the text will be upright. I don't know why.

(Message edited by hawk7 on September 22, 2008)
Old    walt            09-22-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Speaking of crack. Tonis you need to take that belt in a notch or two. You were rolling around DRA grand canyon style Saturday night.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-22-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
I definatly have a michael jordan tongue thing goin on haha, never wouldve noticed it if it werent for pictures, now i realize i do it every time i ride
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-22-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
F the shorts and I took the whole dusch bag to a new level. Don't need to fix your shorts when your wearing sweats and keep the sun out of your eye's with a hat! Alright I was wearing a shorty and I'm 100% for not showing the other guy's in the boat that they have a larger bulge than I do since I forgot my board shorts. The hat was just a good addition to looking like a jack "A"!

Upload
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-22-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
J, thats what gangstas do!

Why you lookin at my crack Walt? I am slowly fattn up into my 36 boardshorts!
Old    walt            09-22-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
My wife asked me why you roll like that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
I think the new question is, why was your wife looking at Billy's ace?
Old    walt            09-22-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Goode question.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-22-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
jrod and billy are like wakesexy icons!!!!!! HOT

Upload
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       09-22-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
UUUUUUUUHHHHHMMMMMMMM Tonis you grab your sack after a half cab roll.
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-22-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
jrod, dont forget the glare you give the wake before you cut in heelside. you know, the "clint eastwood glare". and for the record, that a-hole in the pic is a pretty damn sexy dude. Upload
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-22-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
how about this glare... probably do this alot, not sure. Found this pic amusing nonetheless.

-uj
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-22-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
whoops.. here it isUpload
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-22-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Almost everytime i land i do one or two little ollies lol
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
wow when im about to try a big tick and i keep hesitating i reach down grab some delta and slap myself in the face and cut in completly disoriented and right when i get to the wake i am ready.lol no seriously
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-22-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
lol michael, and after a nice delta left hook, when i come to and the stars fade, i always punch the water, a little pay back for the concussion. i always lose though
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-22-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
i genuflect before I try anything besides wake to wake. Seriously I need it
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-22-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
the pulling up of the shorts is great. that is deff a habit i have as soon as i get out of the water and ride
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
ahaha bryan it works for me.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-23-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
If i don't grab the board... my arm just kinda floats up there... heelside AND toeside. I feel kinda like Ricky Bobby... "I.. umm... don't know what to do with my hands.... ummm.... yeah..."

The Hand (No Grab)
Upload
Upload

(One with the grab just to prove i can...)
Upload
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-23-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
J-Rod,

I wouldn't sweat it. I don't think anyone really cares what that a-hole says. At least none of his friends did when I was around him.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-23-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
J-rod This is a great threat homie! Everyone has habits! I will break my crews down.

Sean Barrett from the House, takes a deep breath before every big move like he is giving birth.

Colin Ryan Looks like he is taking a poop when he does toeside spins.

Andy Nintzel, thats me, mines a lot like yours J-rod, every time I land toside or switch I put my back hand out flat for balance like I am an ump going "safe". (Photo at the bottom) ANd everytime I spin TS BS my tongue is flapping in the wind!

Rick Houde (Captin 313) rubs his nose evey single time before he does a 313 or other drift move.

Brian Hubbard, my personal favorite is the Disco King, when ever he is a little off balance on a heelside wake jump he throws his hand straight up like he is dancing disco!

Upload
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have been told by others that I have a progressive tongue...the harder I am cutting at the wake, the farther it sticks out
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
sometimes i do the little AA hop before i cut in..

i cant think of anything that anyone in my crew does that's strange or weird. the only thing i can think of is that everyone starts their rides off with the same moves.

joel - HUGE hs indy 3, ts ole 5 first 2 moves every set.

BG - boned out tail grab

ry - half cab indy poke, indy tanny

for me it's always a nose grab half cab
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha, suckas..... This is some funny stuff.

Billy always jumps toeside at least 10 times before he does a heel side jump.

I adjust my shorts and jersey every single trick. Not sure what else I do, but I'm sure there's more. I used to do a H/S tail grab for the first trick every set, but that even started to annoy me and I stopped it.

Jarrod does at least 12 180's in every set.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
i definitely pull down the legs on my shorts after every jump. i also do the "He's safe" arm motion after quite a few of my landings...i think it mostly happens on inverts and any time i spin more than 180 deg.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
the only thing I tend to do and Im not trying to, is to have a hard face plant in a set. Im trying to get rid of that habbit.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
i'm a fan of the 180's too.....if i'm having a set i just go do a bunch of 180's...hahahah
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-23-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
I only ride rails so therefore always wearing a helmet. I adjust my helmet every time just before i hit a rail. The same smash it further onto my head and move it around a bit.
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-23-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
i catch crap about this quite often but every time i get up i do a butter slide until the boat is on plain while i fix my shorts and jacket and usually put one foot or the other forward when i slide over the wake... catch h#!! about it but i don't think about it until the boat is up to speed and i've already done it...

and no i have absolutely NO start up roller tricks
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-23-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I stick my tongue out when I'm in the air. I can't help it.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
My ohh face is horrid! Whenever I see a picture of myself mid-trick I think Dizzam that dude's ugly!!!

I also fix the board shorts constantly, always get up switch and do a little hop 180 back to reg. Always warm up with slayshes regular, to an ollie bs 180 to switch slayshes.

And EVERYONE I have ever met rides really well after sticking one of their "hard" tricks that they are maybe 25% or less on.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-23-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Haha. Great thread.

Anytime I olie over something or onto a rail, I let go of one hand only have my pointer finger and pinky finger extended. I don't know why, and I can't stop.

Upload
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
anytime i think about a trick and i'm right outside the wake. my neck jerks as if i'm thinking about doing a reentry backroll. i never notticed it till a friend pointed it out
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-23-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
Every time I get bucked and go way off from what I was wanting to do, I let go, then somehow magically pull to blind right before eating it
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
lol darin, I've done that many a time. and for the life of me cant do it on purpose.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
J-Rod, It always looked like you were giving a midget a high-five.... oh yeah, you do the same thing on HS 3's when you land.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
I'm a fan of several HUGE wake slayshs (sp) before I really start my session. I love it; gets me loose and puts a smile on my face every time.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
BBR, If you have seen Colin's section in authentic he does this little ollie between switching edges on his wake slayshes that look pretty cool.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-23-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
J-rod- hahaha, LMAO at your first post.

(but not as hard as I was the day that a-hole was mocking you while riding- and you asked "what's he doing?" - and us telling you that he was pretending to be you.) The look of shock and realization was priceless!!!!!!!

I can't wait for you to pick out my nervous habits next time we ride.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
yeah....real funny!

Congrats I heard you landed a heel 5 today! NICE!

I am definitely a 180 guy. Less so lately, but like JR, if I'm not feeling it, I'll play around with different grabs on the 180s. Some people might do indy shiftys into the flats, or just big hs grabs into the flats. I personally land much better switch TS than I do reg HS, so, 180s it is!
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-23-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
This year I started, what my duaughters call, a cowboy roll. Its a one handed backroll with my right handed in a bend position. Its funny, when I do one without thinking they do this cowboy dance in the boat to remind me.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-23-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
I usually pee while I ride. It's pretty cool. I tried peeing while doing a trick but could not do it. One day I will get it.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-23-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
hahahaha arun hahaha

i used to put my hand like wayy above my head, it just kinda died off as i rode more tho
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-23-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thats hilarious Arun. Come to think of it, it would be kind of difficult to take a leak and do a trick at the same time...
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-23-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
i look like somebody kicked me in the balls, apparently.

Upload

Upload
Old     (outlaw_78)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
i used to get called "blowfish" for my aparant facial when cutting in. now i hold my breath
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-24-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Okay Jarrod, after reviewing footage this morning I have realized that Scott DOES drop the handle unusually low for HS tricks. Weird I never noticed that before.

I, on the other hand:

a) have little conversations with myself when I think I messed up on a trick.

b) I spit ALOT.

c) when I am going for a TS spin, before I cut in, I let go of the handle with my lead hand and rub my fingers together (like the hand signal for $$$) or I tap my fingers on the handle like its a keyboard.

BUT, I never once pulled my shorts down- I am officially un-cool.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
I also pull my shorts down way to much...I have stick out my tounge in the air. I have been trying to stop it cause I don't want to bite it off.. I also move my hands around on the handle alot before a big move..
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-24-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
yah, but shon, you have the coolest rider to driver hand signals i have ever seen.

"water out da a--"
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-24-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Does anybody suck the lake water into their mouths and then spit it out when waiting for the boat to come back around or right when you're being pulled up? I do this continuously and my wife thinks it is gross. I don't actually drink the water, and I also try not to do it just after I've peed my pants.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I used to do it a lot, but try to avoid that at the Delta. You never know what you may be sucking in. LOL!!

Andrea.... Scotty does the low handle thing all the time. I never thought much of it.

Shon, Bryan is right on. You do have the coolest hand signals I've ever seen. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Eubanks,

I do that all of the time and so does my buddy David.

The bad part is that we are both from small towns where the lakes have clean water. Now, we ride in Downtown Pittsburgh (where the water is anything but clean) and we still do it. It grosses out everyone on the boat. Habits are hard to break.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Brian & Evan...I just about fell over laughing!!!
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-24-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
ak4life - nice personal quote!
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-24-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
idk whats happening here but apparently i do this w/ my left arm when i try my mexican roll.Upload
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
I think this is the best facial expression, my lil bro...

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=97324&l=34575&id=1022372027

someone can upload it if they want it wont let me for some reason