Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
What a great time this event was so sweet lots of food fun & sun and beerthe live band on Saturday nite was great just a good time NICE EVENT WAKEOUTLAWS.COM PUT ON Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by valsurfer on June 28, 2008)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-28-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
nice pics, looks like a great time.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-28-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
Great shots! I wish I would have been able to make it this year
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-29-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
I had looked thru a lot of the pics but didn't see that little girls ride. That is AWESOME!!
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Is that an evo tower on that centurion? If So what type of racks are mounted below the stock ones?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-29-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Double Up Tower.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-29-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I believe the rack on top is theNice Rack Double Wakesurf Rack
Old    lakeside5_10            06-30-2008, 4:46 AM Reply   
everyone needed sunscreen
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
The WAKEOUTLAWS boats were so sweet Upload

(Message edited by valsurfer on June 30, 2008)
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 4:29 AM Reply   
The wrap on those boats was amazing. As good as that picture is, it doesn't do it justice. Up close there are tiny details - 2 inch tall skulls and whatnot that you just can't see in this picture.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-01-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
nice pic of the honey's, the old bald guys were starting to wear me down.....LOL
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Nice Pics! Thanx for posting.
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
I took some pictures too. Favorite eatry: the WTFB - no, the What? A Burger? Does anyone know how to pronounce that? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
The judges meeting took place on the morning of the contest from midnight to two am, preliminary discussions took place here (notice the resemblence in art work to WO.com :-) )

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Only in Texas would you find an actual semi used as a billboard :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
You simply have to love a restaurant that advertises by using a CAUTION sign in it's marketing:

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
This is a two part picture. Behind the CAUTION Fat Cats diner is the Touch of Texas Salon - a beauty salon

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I just love the parking lot at the Touch of Texas Salon - I wonder if I could get that like a hair implant?

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Get it?

Upload

Walker Texas Ranger :-)
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
Sure makes a fella thirsty. Under the Jackass Blvd; Bikes, Babes, Beer; and No Guns signs (be honest, when was the last time you saw a sign that said No Guns and thought ah shucks! :-) ) there is a sign that is the word Redneck under a rebel flag.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Almost my bedtime, but one of a few from the contest - most of the midwest and east coast contingent:

Bri Cheml, Ed Sullivan, Roy Gordon, Kayley Gordon, Lonnie Gordon, James and Robbie Gordon in the background:

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-01-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Way past your bedtime.
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
It's true - but be honest you chuckled at the "NO Guns" sign.

Some more pictures of the venue - the location for spectators was park-like. Tons of shade trees and grass.

Jessica Oswald rides for Liquid Force now.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
Misc folks from various parts of the country Bay Area, SoCal, etc. Sean, Justin, Lindsey and the thundering herd! :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
Sponsors! Sponsors! Sponsors! Very well supported by the various vendors. Like I always say: Support those that support you.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
The barefoot contests have been using video broadcasting for years to allow folks to see the action. We stole the concept from Tom Regean of the MN Wakesurf Championships and Ed Sullivan and Jac Faught (sp?!) have refined it to a science for wakesurfing. You can't quite see it, but everyone is staring at a TV monitor that displays the action behind the boat. Considering the number of people gathered, this is no doubt my run they are watching :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
Yummy food! Pulled pork sandwiches for lunch and brisket for dinner.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
If there are small children in the room have them avert their eyes - 2 very scary figures in this picture - I do NOT want to be responsible for causing small children to have nightmares.

Ken and Todd of Wakeoutlaws - the pretty lady is Heidi Gaughan also part of Wakeoutlaws.

Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on July 02, 2008)
Old     (nautiquelove)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
nice pics. wish i could have made it out there.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Jeff
what did you think of the Brazos
I know it's not as clean/clear as you are probably used to, but it is a favorite north Texas spot for serious riders
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Hey Cliff,

We've been in all sorts of water. In FL it's a tea colored shade - literally you can't see more than 6 inches - but warm and smooth as butter everywhere - just ignore the aligators and it's good.

The Brazos was an interesting place. The air temp was low 90's and with the humidity in the 50% range it was FREAKIN' hot! You would jump in the water and it was 90 degrees, too! :-) It wasn't as colored/muddy as in FL, not as clear as up in Shasta either. I was a little worried about the river flow going into the contest and while it had an impact on the wake, it was pretty minimal, I do believe. You could sense it and see it, but it really didn't impact the pocket to any significant degree.

The area is absolutely gorgeous, if you don't mind the humidity :-) You forget how wide open parts of this country still are until you get to places like this. Miles of undeveloped land and natural beauty.

It's definately a killer location.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Looks like it was an awesome time. Texas definitely does it different but I like it. Thanks for sharing all the pics.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
I just decided that me and my family are going to the next one! Thanks for all the pics.
Old    surfdad            07-02-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
It was a great event, if you didn't attend you should kick yourself now. I learned a bunch about a model event, if I could ALWAYS stage a contest/event with these attributes I would.

Plenty of free ride time. There was a practice day before the contest and a full day free ride after the contest. Most contests you wait all day for your two minutes - it's boring. There was plenty of time to ride here.

They had FOOD! :-) Part of your admission got you lunch and dinner and decent food too. They could have used something to drink, but we are talking Ken and Todd here - s p e a k s l o w l y. :-)

You had access to several manufactures. Mike Walker of TWP was everywhere. Jeff Page from Inland, Matt Smedley of Smed Wakesurf, Larry Mann of Trick Boardz and Fresh Air Exhaust too. All of these guys are very approachable and more than willing to talk about board design/products, new products and even how to ride better.

Several of the best riders in the world were there: Jessica Oswald, Chase Hazen, Johnny Stieg, my son James Walker and even though his ride made you think he is better suited for golf, Mark Sher. All good folks - well ok exclude Mark from the "good" he's just a folk. All were very happy to just chat and show their boards or give you tips on riding.

Also, they treated it like a giant BBQ - bonfire, music - loads of teasing and fun. There was more to do than just wait for your turn.

From the contest standpoint - I disagree with some of their mechanisms, but they went way out of their way to insure a fair and legit contest. Solid thumbs up on this aspect.

Lastly, if two guys like Ken and Todd can put together an event like this - anyone can. :-) Which means their lovely and talented wives did it all. :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on July 02, 2008)
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
Jeff, my good man...you are ALWAYS right ...great post and great pictures.

I especially like the pics from around your tours of Texas.

(Message edited by hgaugh on July 02, 2008)
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-04-2008, 1:07 AM Reply   
best event iv ever been too. im so stoked i finally got to go ride and chill with every one agian. awesome job.