Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
I have a small laceration that I need to protect from the water. Is there anything or anyway I can keep my cut from not getting any lake water in it besides not riding?
Old    oldman1025            10-11-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
probably not. depends on where the cut is.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just take some hydrogen peroxide with you and put it on the cut after every set that will keep it clean and infection free
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-11-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Band Aid makes a liquid bandage that is supposed to do that. Have never used it myself, so not sure if it works. Worth a shot.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-11-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
I've heard you should use Rubbing Alcohol if you absolutely need to. Supposedly Hydrogen peroxide is effective in killing bacteria on the surface. But it will dry out the top layer and other bacteria can survive underneath and cause infection. I guess alcohol is strong enough to penetrate deeper into the wound, but hurts a lot more.

As for riding...you could try liquid bandages? But, I'd recommend waiting to ride. Internal wound infections can be dangerous...and gross! HA!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-11-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
the clear plastic bandages would pry work. they have adhesive on the outer edge and should form a pretty good seal. wrap it with tape if your really worried about it.

All this kinda depends on where you ride.... on some waterways I would be more careful than others...
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
hmm interesting I haven't heard that but it does make since . . . Go with the liquid bandages like stated above that would probably work pretty well
Old     (johnben)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-11-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
super glue it
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I probably wouldn't ride, but there's a comp this Saturday that I've been looking forward to for a long time. I read somewhere that a tegaderm bandage works well. I'm going back to the doc tomorrow...hopefully he'll give me the go ahead.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-11-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I second the super glue. My first aid kit consists of super glue, duct tape and Jameson Irish whiskey. All a man needs.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
super glue, new skin, there also those self adhering waterproof bandages...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Q; how to protect wound from lake water?

A: Stay out of lake water.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
super glue and duct tape that all i use and used on my little cousins while camping
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Grant, did you read?

"besides not riding"
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
and super glue? are you guys serious?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       10-11-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yes, they are, Super glue has the same effect as those so-called "Liquid Bandages" have someone help you out so you dont get it IN the wound, but you can close up the wound with super glue and itll act like a layer of skin, No joke, i have done it multiple times
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
I've used super glue a lot it works great just be sure to clean the area before you apply it
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
benjamin how big is the wound? how new is it? u might not even have to worry about covering it up
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hey was it Parks that got a real bad infection in his knee from riding in the lake after a operation?

The do make Meical grade super glue for closing skin. Its called "Therma Bond". I dont know where you could get it because its a product thats not for sale in your local drug store. Its a product hospitals use. Its a Part "A" Part "B" mixture that come in a glass vile and you break it like smelling salt and it mixes in the vile and the Therma Bond comes out at the end of a cotton applicator. You use the applicator to brush over your skin. The stuff drys in a second.

That being said I highly recomend you dont get in the water "at all" untill your wound is fully closed.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
I just did some searching and found this. I didnt read it.
http://www.miracleglue.com/wounds.htm
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-11-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
i use the liquid bandage. works great, just make sure you let it have plenty of time to let it dry before you get it wet.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Mike, the wound is about 1/2 inch on my lower back. The doc told me no swimming for 7-10 days, Saturday will be 8 days.

Grant, thanks for the info. I'm sure parks injury wasn't protected very well because it's hard to protect a cut from the water due to the knee being a joint that moves a lot.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'd say F it and throw a lil super glue on it and call it good might wanna let it dry before you put on your vest though :-) lol
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-11-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
There's a few different companies that make waterproof bandages/patches. they won't stay on, and more than likely won't stay waterproof for long, but for the competition they should be okay.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
dude i think ull be ok i would ask ur doc first before going dont make things worse or prolong ur injury. just wakesurf for the day u dont have to get wet start from the deck and end on the deck. good luck
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
or u can combind all the ideas in this order...
1) super glue
2) waterproof bandage
3) duct tape
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Bag Balm! I had a bad burn this summer that is just finally healing up. I kept a good layer on as well as peroxide after each set. No worries... it did make me a little nervous though.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-11-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Just take some hydrogen peroxide with you and put it on the cut after every set that will keep it clean and infection free

Not a good idea. One time deal only for cleaning blood or dirty wounds. After that you're destroying healing tissue.
You know that bubbling/foaming reaction is creating heat and it kills the newly formed cells.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-11-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
If it's small they make a Blister bandage that seals around the edge and seals the wound in. That would be perfect. So blister bandage or superglue, I use super glue alot.
al
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-11-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
dude, you're at day 8 out of 7-10. doesn't sound like something i would worry about.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
ya, but I think the doctor misinformed me on that 7-10 day thing. The cut is still open. It has to heal from the inside out.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-11-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
dock starts and dont fall!
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-12-2007, 3:44 AM Reply   
i had the same problem recently. i accidently stabbed myself in the arm with a carving knife. anyway, same story, doc says no water. i used a waterproof bandage by 3M called Nexcare with a little neosporin (works kinda like grease on electrical connections). they worked great. stayed on even after many hard falls. I used them about every other day for a week and never had one come off. the cut was on my forearm so I also wore a wetsuit top to help keep it on.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-12-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
in my boat, i leave the cover to the access whole to the plug in the floor off, so i don't forget to put it back in when i go boardin'. one day this summer i totally brain farted and stepped right in it. sliced up my achilis tendon pretty good. decided to still go boardin'...got infected. doc put me on meds and told me not to go. well obviously that was not an option! i just gobbed it up with neosporine, vasoline, and covered it with a couple of water proof bandades then wrapped them up with the stretchy bandage wrap and used some athletic tape to secure that down. then i used hydrogen peroxide after i got out. probably took longer to heal, but at least i got to keep ridin'.

the cut is actually pretty clean in this one...there were a few days where it was reallllly nasty.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-12-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
......man it couldn't be in a worse spot!.....it will def. heal slower if you keep riding...and if the new scar tissue keeps getting ripped of your scar could become a little thicker meaning sticking out from your skin....but that would take a while. Looks like your ankle is swollen too........it would really be best to let that thing heal.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-12-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
lol it happened back in early August, it's all good now. took about a month to get closed up. it actually tore open quite a bit more than that. this pic was 2 days after it happened. 5 days after was probably the worst day. and made me finally go to the doctor. that sucker hurt quite a bit...lot's of ibuprofen. a couple shots of my favorite liquid courage helped too!
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-12-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Actually, Hydrogen Peroxide does NOT kill bacteria or germs, mostly all it does is remove debris from the area to assist in decreasing the chance of infection. Iodine is great to kill bacteria after using peroxide. Superglue is great to seal a cut, or dermaclear bandage, which is a plastic clear bandage that is made for protecting wounds from water/germs. Good luck
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ok...the doctor said if I absolutely have to ride protect it with an OpSite Post-Op bandage and cover that with a Tegaderm bandage for extra protection. He said after I'm done riding clean the cut with antibacterial soap, flush it with Saleen solution, and re-bandage. I'm riding!
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Ben your doctors mis information is EXACTLY why doctors PRACTICE medicine.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-12-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
Opsite and Tegaderm are the same thing. Just going to cost you a lot more $$$$ for either one.

One is by SmithNephew and the other by 3M
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Dysuit.....

Also there is clear waterproof adheisive you can put over it. you can get them in large squares, and put a small guaze bandage the center.

Peroxide bath after every set...My doc told me the same for scuba diving, after hand surgery...I would wash, peroxide and tape a rubber glove for each dive....