Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-11-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
I know I will probably get crap for this but so be it. You have to give the guy credit. This is an air gainer out in the flats. That is he did not use the wake to get that air. Rider Jake Bradley.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-11-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
HOLY POOPY!!!!!!!!
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-11-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'll get crap for this too but riding the foils is a hell of a lot of fun! My brother and I got sick of not being able to wakeboard after 8:30AM on the colorado river so it was either get a couple of PWC's or buy a foil (I know I made the right choice for this crowd).

Foils are great b/c up to 1 foot chop (maybe even 18 inches) does not effect them at all - you cruise right through it.

Dont get me wrong though - smooth water ahead - I'm grabbing the wakeboard.
Old    smitty98            09-11-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
If you don't use the wake to get air then how do u?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
that's damn impressive air. but i thought the wake didn't make any difference to foils?
Old    hlboatsnboards            09-11-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
the wake can make a difference to a foil...its gives a rider that much more water to use for upward motion.

Phaeton...I saw Jake do a Double gainer in Pittsburgh and landed it. Super sic trick! I have it on video but have to get another capture card before I can get it up on the net. He just goes insanely high!

BIll
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-11-2003, 7:37 PM Reply   
Oh Mylanta! That is a whopper!
Old    mike_rennie            09-11-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
How do you get air though?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-11-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
Mike it is all in how you snap the foil in the water. The faster you can make the foil do a V shape under the water the more line tension it will build. Once the foil leaves the water hold on for a ride.

Bill I also saw Jake do a couple of double backs in Kennewick. None with the rope though. Super sick. He and Andrew go huge.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    mike_rennie            09-11-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
"V shape" under the water ???
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-11-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
You dont need the wake to get air with the foil but it does help you to get really high.

All you have to do to jump the foil is lean forward a little to bring the ski portion almost to the water (the real reason is to get the foil deep in the water) then lean back a little. What you have done is angled the blade toward the surface and it will push you into the air. The more you lean back the greater the angle and the more air you get. You dont need a wake for that.

However, the wake helps you get a lot higher because it adds distance between the lowest point in the water the foil can go and the highest point the foil can go before leaving the water where it wont push you up anymore. It also gives you more time to progressively increase the amount you are leaning back and thus the angle of the blade which increases your upward speed.

Like I said, foils are fun but not as fun as wakeboarding. Its much harder to learn and the crashes hurt a lot more but you can do it in rough water.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
sheesh! if this is the kind of air he gets without a wake, what the heck does he need a wake for? he can't go much higher without a longer rope!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-11-2003, 9:12 PM Reply   
pfffft, he's only 15 feet off the water, big deal.
Old    mattameo            09-11-2003, 11:36 PM Reply   
it looks like their is a huge rod sticking out of his butt.
Old    hlboatsnboards            09-12-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Phaeton... off topic, but does your s/n have anything to do with the car?

Bill
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-12-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
Bill correct.
Old    upupnaway            09-12-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
I trust you that it is not 'shopped, but the perspective is crazy..It makes the rider look like a giant!
Roughly 3/4 the length of the boat!
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-12-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
nobody has commented on the fact that they are riding behind a new Xstar
Old    itsinthahole            09-12-2003, 3:59 PM Reply   
doesnt matter what kind of boat he's behind. he could do that behind a bass boat with an outboard. he's closer to the camera than the boat is so that makes him look a little higher too; not taking anything away from the pic. its huge
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-12-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
The X-Star hype left a long time ago.
Here are a couple more for ya.

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
I bet he is riding with a 90ft rope too. Keep that in mind when looking at the angle of rope and perspective.

That much angle on a rope that long... nice!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
i was doing that years ago, even bigger and triples to boot on a home made wood and duct tape foil. I'm back to the root of wakeboarding now. Surface tricks are where its at.
Old    nick360            09-12-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
Hey Phaeton,

I'm guessing those pics were from the World Finals last weekend? I'm also guessing you were out there then? I took a trip out to Parker as well, my buddy was riding in it, Brian Vesely. It was a good show, first Sky Ski tournament I've been to. Some of those guys are getting some crazy air, with no wake at that.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-12-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Nick I wish I was there. I got the photos off the Hydrofoil list. www.airjunky.com
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-15-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
Nick - I was there too - was a lot of fun to watch.
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
Forget about sitting down,I would go for something like this:

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-15-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
Chris, great post. I'm with you.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-15-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
Imagine landing on your face and that foil coming around and hitting you in the back of the head - A helmet wont help much I'm afraid. I'll stay seated thanks.