Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
I always like the prioneer rev series and have been looking at the infinity's but what do you recommend?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-23-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Wetsounds!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Power handling wise, I would think: Wet Sounds xs650's, Kicker SS series, and Polks.

The True test would be to hear your test subjects in the same environment (boat), and same amp so the only diff is the speakers themselves.

I have heard the W/S xs650 side by side with the Kicker KS's on same amp and really couldn't tell a difference. That being said, the amp was a great match for the Kickers but left the Wet Sounds a little under powered so I will say the test was not completely accurate.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Check out Diamond Audio D661i or you could really step to the pump and get CDT Audio ES-630Z.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-23-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
boston pros 6.5"s
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-23-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Bullet hollowpoint speakers....
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-23-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
image dynamics and a big high quality amp

(Message edited by clubmyke on October 23, 2008)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Image? Love the subs but??
I am looking for inside the boat as tall tige knows I am sticking with evids for tower.
Thanks
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
I love my Polks
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/637908.html?1224818149

Similar discussion. I posted some pics of the XS-650.

When comparing. Make sure to look at the build of the speaker. As many that were mentioned are not marine. Most will say if it is a plastic cone and rubber surround, you will be fine. But that is only the case for the front of the speaker from the occasional splash.

A tweeter on a pole piece can get water down the pole and into the voice coil and have failure there. A lot of car audio speakers have a stamped steel frame. And exposed magnets. Another point of failure.

As we have all wound up putting a cover on a wet boat and seen what the condensation build up can do. That is everywhere in the boat including the back or the speaker.

I have even seen some companies trying to promote in boat speakers as marine that have stamped steel frames and exposed magnets and open pole piece tweeters.

Which goes to prove that there are many companies that are just trying to make a buck and do not fully understand what it truly takes to build a marine speaker.

Many people have used car audio speakers in boats for years as there was not any high performance marine speakers on the market. So there was no option. There are plenty of options for a high quality marine 6.5 inch in boat coax today.

Of course I am biased, but I feel that our Wet Sounds XS-650 is the best performing in boat speaker on the market. It can play louder and handle more power than many other speakers on the market and is truly a marine speaker.

After that, there are other marine speakers to look at from other audio manufacturers. JL, Kicker, Rockford, Alpine.

But my suggestion would be to try to look for something in a marine speaker. Then after that, see if you can do a demo on a couple that you have narrowed it down to. Try to do a demo with the RMS ratings of each speaker.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need a Wet Sounds dealer near you. Might have one that can do some demos.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-24-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Listen to Tim. :-) And get a good good amp pushing 'em!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Thanks Cal!

An amp like this......

Upload

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Image? Love the subs but??
I am looking for inside the boat as tall tige knows I am sticking with evids for tower.
Thanks
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
I will look at the wetsounds stuff as well for future though.I am running soundstream amps tim, I cannot get on your site right now but can you email me some prices on something similar to the evids
Thank you tim
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Inside the boat, what do you recommend?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
E mail sent.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds XS-650 of course!!!!!

Upload
Upload

A little on the build of it.

Titanium Tweeter mounted on grille so true separate woofer and separate tweeter.

Thermoformed composite cone and rubber surround. Melted together to create one seamless unit with no worries of glue failure from heat and UV and water.

Our composite frame called Nylas, it is a composite mix of nylon and figerglass for super strong and rigid and water proof.

Perimeter venting for the large voice coil. Usually something only found on subwoofers.

Oversized magnet and sealed with rubber boot.

Coated tinsel leads, also over sized tinsel leads.

Hard to see in the picture. The spider is also rubber. Resulting in true marine for the front and rear and every single part on the speaker.

Also, the way we tune the speakers is different as well. They are tuned for a marine environment. Tons of mid bass punch and nice crisp highs.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-24-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Very nice