Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
i saw this last weekend, its starting to get cold and rain alot up here and after seeing this i thought it might not be a bad idea so you could get on the water on ****ty days. nice boat
Attached Images

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
Wow, get a heater cranking in there and that would be pretty nice!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
I'm not crazy about that particular install. But the idea rocks.

Some friends of mine who have had it done here in the PNW.

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-12-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
I dont like how it looks, but sometimes function beats looks! could be pretty nice when its chilly!!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-12-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
I think it's brilliant.
There was a guy on here a couple years ago from Holland, I think, that had a gorgeous one on a Malibu that even closed the back in.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1169133748

Last edited by rallyart; 10-12-2010 at 8:50 PM.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
hey bill i saw this up at dover bay. thought you would know them or someone that has done it before.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-12-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Sorry, it was 'vec' from Sweden, not Holland.
Old    mojo            10-12-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
totally awesome.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Yea, my buddies are on Samish in Bellingham & the Willamette in Portland. Both were done by local shops. Probably cost a grand, maybe a bit more. The 23' LSV has canvas that completely encloses the rear too.

Both on the rainy side of the state. I found it doesn't rain over here enough to warrant it as much. If it's nice, it stays dry for days, even weeks at a time here. When I lived in Seattle it rained on us for days or weeks at a time..... that obnoxious slow drizzle, just enough to be annoying but not enough to keep us off the boats.

Heres another one. A guy from Lake Powell. They have the back setup as a bed & camp out on it all the time. You know it's dry there. And downright cold at night.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
That's my buddie Teagues boat! He is a badass wakeboarder by the way. He rides really early and really late in the season. Hence the canopy. It's very well designed. I wonder how many wakeworold guys there are from Sandpoint Idaho on here.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
Crazy, I'm from spokane but we took a plain ride up there that leaves from dover bay and saw this boat. The water was great that day pure glass. Is he on wake world? Hope he doesn't mind I took pics.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
He wouldn't care. He is a cool guy. He loves his canopy. I don't think he knows wakeworld exists.

Last edited by duffymahoney; 10-12-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-12-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
Seen that first boat a few times in Sandpoint marina.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-13-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
not great looking but would make boat usable all year unless the lake is frozen over. so i give it two thumbs up, that and a drysuit and your good to go
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-13-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
That is a pretty sweet idea. Never thought to do it on a wakeboard boat.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
The sun can be killer in Florida. I thought about an extended canopy, without the sides, for use while anchored with the family. Like a pontoon boat with a double bimini. I could fold the rear bimini against the tower to get it out of the way when I ride.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
It comes apart in sections. That way you can have it partly up or fully or off.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-13-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
I agree they aren't exactly the prettiest looking things when up but function is 100%.

I live just outside of Vancouver BC so one of these would be great for year round riding just like the PNW boys. I just need a heated garage so I can actually keep my boat at my house all year round instead of having to put it away
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-13-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I had been thinking of doing this for some time. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around snaps on my boat. I do live on the gulf coast in TX, so this would be a real luxary. We usually get by with hoodies and the drysuits.

Are there any pics of the boats without the shelters up?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have pics of the green & red boats, but not much up close. It's what you'd expect..... snaps in the fiberglass & along the windshield. Hard for me to wrap my head around that myself.

The red boat they did do something I liked. The stainless loops in the fiberglass used to hook the support straps to...... they are removed when the roof isn't in place. And to cover the holes, they made some small, inexpensive aluminum plates to go in their place. But it still has a ton of snaps all over it too.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-13-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I looked into it about 3-4 years ago. It's fairly expensive ( using decent quality materials) I wanna say aroud 1500-2K.

I had one custom made for my pontoon boat ( I keep it on my lift in the winter and use it to get around ) Paid aroudn $$800 for it ( I bought one off ebay and had it altered).

I love it. totally rain proff and fairly wind proff, it holds in heat fairly well too. It's the wind block that really helps.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-13-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
The same sort of canopy is very popular here in NZ for fishing boats and launches.

Never seen one on a wake boat before, great idea.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-13-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
why are so many of them malibus haha!?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-13-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
I saw a custom bimini on a 23' Tige years ago at Shasta. It covered 1/2 the bow all the way to 1/2 the sun pad. If I remember correctly one of the family members had skin cancer or something and wanted to still be able to spend time on the boat. I could be way off the on the story/reason but the bimini was really cool.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
why are so many of them malibus haha!?
Hard core riders who ride as much as possible.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
some of those are pretty hardcore. I especially like the green boat where it utilizes the tower. If your trying to camp or get some warmth it's a good idea. Wonder how it is at speed?