Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    gramps            02-28-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Well as our desert season winds down this was probably going to be one of the last trips out to the dunes for us before switching gears and hitting the river. Like usual I was jonesing to get out and have some fun with family and friends. Got up early and went for a family run in the low dunes, I was on my bike and my wife, son and niece were in the Teryx. I thought to myself "that was a great warm up" as we got back to camp. After everyone geared up we lined up to head out for a run thru the dunes, we ran a few sets and got separated so we stopped to regroup. We could see where the others were so we waited, when they didn't come our way we said, "lets just go over where they are" We started off Brian (Blabel) his uncle Bill and myself. We headed off and I thought to myself "why are we going this way when they are over there (to my right) I took my eye off the dunes in front of me for a spit second (which I never do and I know is a NO.....NO) before I realized it as I shifted gears I was airborn....
The dune ended and was straight down, I tried to get away from the bike because I knew it was going to be a bad crash.......it was too late. I fell nose first about 12 to 15 feet and crashed hard, my initial reaction was "man I just ate S*&T" Then the body did the natural survival thing. I assessed my body...broken bones....no everything moving like normal. But man does my face hurt like hell, as I was taking notes on how I was doing I noticed some blood dripping down. I'm like WTF where is that coming from, I peel off my helmet and feel around my face, check my gloves and see a ton of blood. I whip my goggles around so I can see my reflection and low and behold I have a cut on my chin. Now I'm like crap that sucks, but why is my face so numb? Feel around in my mouth with my tongue....no blood or missing teeth...cool! But why is my face so numb and why is there so much blood coming out? By this time everyone has rallied and has now found where I crashed. Brian says you alright? As I look up and say not sure, I think so but I have a cut on my chin. He looks at me and says "yea looks like you might need some stitches" I'm like ok get me back to camp...as we ride blood is running all down my chest protector my shirt, my face....I'm thinking 10 stitches? I'm bleeding all over the place, get to camp look at my face and realize I need more than 10, I need to get to the hospital to close up my face big time. Brian was just being nice, he knew enough to just get me back so they could find my wife so she could get my ass to ER. I had a 3" gaping cut anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 deep on my chin and up my face. My bottom lip was numb and still is, I severed some nerves in the process (I was told they would repair themselves) No broken jaw and no missing chicklets, just a nasty battle scar for being careless. I know it could have been way worse and I thank my lucky stars I didn't do some real damage. The group knew I was jacked up and they kept it low key to get me back to camp so I wouldn't freak out.

32 stitches and 6 hours later I was back in camp, face swollen and pretty sore.
First and second picture is of the open wound, 2nd is right after stitching me up and the last one is today after cleaning it up.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Who would have thought you could look more rugged!! Glad to hear everything is ok!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-28-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
holy shiot gramps! that is one nasty shaving cut. glad it did not end up worse for you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
first off, i'm glad to hear you're ok and it wasn't worse.

secondly, looked at the pics and threw up. thanks.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-01-2010, 12:16 AM Reply   
gnar
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-01-2010, 3:18 AM Reply   
Ouch
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-01-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
ouch! Glad you are okay!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
That injury could have had put a lot of hurt to your mouth.
Good to know that you don't do a Michael Jordan and even better to hear all your teeth are still intact.
Just carry a drool towel with you until you get that sensation in your lower lip back.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-01-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
It's great you didn't break any bones or anything like that.

That scar will just add a bit more character to your look is all.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
wow gramps you did it good bro. Holy crap! Glad your teeth and jaw are okay. Must have been a scary experience.

We rode pismo this weekend. I gave my buddy the rule of the Dunes. Keep your head up and watch for the drop-offs was one of them. But, I think everyone has slipped up, dropped in, and hit the bottom.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-01-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Is this going to effect your ability to make and/or eat tri tip?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-01-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Holly cow Gramps! How it all can go bad real fast...
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-01-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
At least they didn't shave it. Hides it some, but I bet it is sore as hell.
Best wishes.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-01-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Looks like I'm gonna have to keep him on a leash out there from now on.;(

At least nothing was broken, we were very worried about that. He rode back to camp on his own and toughed it out like a champ. Hope you heal fast.

And yeah lesson learned in the dunes, always pay attention and never assume anything.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Wow GRAMPS, that is a nasty cut. Glad you are okay!
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Your helmet rip you apart or your bike?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
WOW.....that is a nice cut.

Glad to hear things were not worse, no missing teeth is a bonus....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Any clues on what did the damage? Handlebars?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Damn dude.. Thats nasty.. Nice work by the doc! I'll never forget my first time flying over the top of a dune lol Luckily I walked away with just some bent parts on a quad..
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
that sucks but its a good story
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-01-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
Damm gramps . That is some UFC style gash. So you think your chin hit the bike or what???

That is a nasty A$$ cut. You should get yourself a Movie agent and go after some movie roll's I bet you could get cast as some villian with your new face marking's. The new bond movie is comming out get yourself over there
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Ya know... you are getting older and your ability to focus naturally starts to wane at your age.

Glad to here your not too terribly damaged,
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-01-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
Glad you did not hurt your neck!!!!! Do you wear a neck brace at all?
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-01-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
Wow!! That's a gnarly cut. Hopefully it will heal up pretty good. If not, extend the goatee to a beard.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-02-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Wow Gramps, glad you are ok and you just got that nasty cut, like you said could have been a lot worse.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Dang Gramps! You don't mess around. Good thing scars are "cool". I take it your jaw was OK. Be careful dude!
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
The biggest problem I see here is it was his last trip! We have gone as late as June, Ocotillo though. NO crowds and lots of wildlife. Glad you're ok.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-04-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Ouch Gramps!!! Glad to hear you are OK, that is a nasty one
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
5 days later......doesn't look too bad. Still a little sore but I think it will be gone by Sunday.
Attached Images

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-04-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
good to hear that you are mending
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
chicks dig scars
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-05-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
glad you are ok!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-05-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Glad you made it thru ok! could have been much worse.

My wife is a pharma rep for a company that sell products to dermatologists. If you think the scar is gonna remotely bother you, go see a good derm. There are lots of good prescription topical products to help reduce scaring. My face had a run in with some concrete over the winter.....my wife got me in with one of her derms and prescribed some stuff that worked awesome.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
That's healing in very nicely. Pretty much why facial cuts bleed like a stuck pig.
Doesn't look like the swelling has gone down too much.
How's the sensation of the lower lip coming along?
Old    Chris            03-15-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
A little late, but...nice job! You can hardly even see it now.

Any idea what hit you?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-15-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Amazing you could do that without breaking your jaw!