Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2003, 4:20 PM Reply   
what is a good cheap amp. planning on running it to four speakers on a pole
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
hifonics are dealing on ebay right now. great amps. mtx is a good cheap amp also.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-20-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
TY you seem in the know about stereo stuff.I am inthe process of building a system for my 86 nauti.So far i am going to use 4 61/2 Infinity reference coax's.Those are for the boat and I will be looking at 2-10 or 1-12 sub.I want to run at least 75 watts rms to the coax's,will this be enough or to much?Also I looked at a MEMPHIS AUDIO amp called the SOUTHERN BELLE it is 5 channels 4x75 @4ohm and 1000x1@ 1ohm for $875.Should I stay away from that or would it run the system ?Thanks Jeff
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
That is a very nice amp. DO not buy any of the memphis sub line though. That seems like a ton of money for an amp though. I would actually pass on it. The infinity's are very nice speakers and will be hell of loud with a clean 50-75 watts to them. What kind of sub are you planning on running with 1000 watts also? The problem you may encounter is that most of the high end subs that take that kind of power are designed to go in large vented enclosures. You can do just as well or louder in a smaller sealed enclosure with less power. Alpine v-series amps are great 5-channel amps. You can run all four speakers with a 2 channel amp but will have no fading capabilities. A nice four channel would give you a bit more flexibility and allow you to expand later. Save your money and look on ebay at a 4 channel amp made by Rockford fosgate, orion, ppi, xtant, there are many others. I am partial to orion. One 4-channel amp I have been recommending that is awesome is the hifonics line. Very cheap on ebay right now. Also for a sub amp get the JBL bp series 600 or 1200 watt mono sub amp. They are around 200.00 and very highly rated. I have played around with the 1200 and it is very nice. You will be able to get a sweet set up on amps and have more power than you need for a ton less money. Drop me a line and I will help you pick some stuff out and let me know what you want to pay.
Old    whitechocolate            03-20-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
McIntosh Amps are cheep you can get them in Crutchfeild Get a few,
Old    xtigeman            03-20-2003, 6:09 PM Reply   
Memphis for $ 875. Could get much better for $ 875. I didn't pay much more than that for my 6 channel McIntosh. Also, I am betting that is a D class and D Class is not good for full range. I would check into that before purchasing. May have D class for the 1000 watt channel and A/B for the other 4. I dunno. In that price range, PPI, Arc Audio, Helix, or Zapco may fit your bill.
Old    doubleup1080            03-20-2003, 11:04 PM Reply   
Check out U.S. Acoustics amplifiers. Excellent amplifiers for the price.
Thezeb.com, sounddomain.com and crutchfield sell them.
Also, Ebay has some good deals on Pioneer Premier amplifiers. Very clean and powerful amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3012813813&category=49 50
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2003, 11:25 PM Reply   
memphis belle is essentially a combination of the two amps i have. the 500W mono class D amp (2 ohms) and the 4X50 class AB amp. i have nothing but great things to say about the sub amp! I simply can't get it to clip. perhaps there is some limiting circuitry built in. also the 4X50 amp sounds clean but I'd honestly recommend a little more power.

keep in mind if you go with one 12 for a sub the amp will only be putting out 250W not 1000
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
ok i only need an amp to run 4 speakers on my pole don't care if i can fade them or not. are explode ok amps?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2003, 10:51 PM Reply   
sony xplod amps should work fine in that application. just make sure you choose one with plenty of power
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-22-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Tim,

If he gets a dual voice coil amp with two 3 or 4 ohm coils, he should be able to fully utilize the amp. He DOES NOT need to buy multiple subs just to get the ohm load down. That's why they make dual voice coil subs.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-22-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
Tim,

If he gets a dual voice SUB with two 3 or 4 ohm coils, he should be able to fully utilize the amp. He DOES NOT need to buy multiple subs just to get the ohm load down. That's why they make dual voice coil subs.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
stereo freaks calm down
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-22-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
matt, good point. i didnt think of dvc, prolly cause i have never bought one