Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2008, 11:50 PM Reply   
Picked up a 9'6 longboard in Zihautenejo, Mexico the other day and I made the transition from wakesurfing to riding my first ocean wave. I had tried on a short board my first time but couldn't stand up. I was able to pop up on my feet quite easily on this board, I am curious if anyone else has made the transition from wakesurfing to ocean waves.

Oh yeah, paddling out and duck diving really suck.

Upload

(Message edited by dubsac on March 17, 2008)
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2008, 5:13 AM Reply   
I went the other way from ocean to wake I live in utah now not much chance to surf here but still get the coast once in while.

by the way nice board
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-18-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I live in the Kansas City area and try hitting Mexico or Belize to surf once a year, but I also ocean surfed way before wakrsurfing. Short boards are hard to get up on smaller waves with also. Once you get good at paddling and catching waves you might rent a 7' and see what you think. My last trip down I meet a guy from San Diego who had just made the change from 10’ to 7’ and loved it.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-18-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Try paddleing on your knees. Also with a board that size you shouldnt be duck diving you should be going over/through the wave and thats easier to do on your knees. Im the opposite of most on this board I think? I grew up surfing and surfed competitively till I was out of high school but this will be my first year wakesurfing. Its the first year we've had a boat I could surf behind, really looking forward to this summer.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
look up turtle rolling. It makes the paddleout alot easier on a longboard.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-18-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
I am the same way Bob, I started out in the ocean and now much enjoy wakesurfing. anyone else start out in the ocean??
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-18-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
I started in the ocean in 1962 surfed until 1969. Had to quit because of knee surgery. Now I wakesurf 40 years later.
LIFE IS GOOD Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-18-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
I'm going on my fourth year of wakesurfing but my first time in the ocean was this January.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-18-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Nice looking board!

Cool that you've gone from wakesurfing to trying out the ocean... Like many others here, I've made the transition from Ocean to mostly Wakesurfing now living in Austin.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-18-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
There is nothing like ocean surfing. it is the purest sport and the most relaxing feeling out there. it is just you a board and nature. no boat, no rope, not alot of equipment, it is true freedom for the hours that it lasts, then you have to retun to the real world.