Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Been surfing for over 20 years. No real injuries per se. Got my first boat (05 Enzo) one month ago which we finally got it set up fairly good on both sides. Been wakesurfing 1 month and tore my MCL diagnosed by MRI today. Out for 6 weeks. I had no problems getting up using a 6'6 thruster that is 2 1/8 thick. Went out on a CWB ride which has no bouyancy and tore my mcl on my first pull up yesterday. Needless to say I'm pretty bummed.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-02-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
That sux. Hopefully you have a subscription to www.wakesurfingmag.com to help pass the time away untill you can get back on the water. Everyone needs a good camara man or a good boat driver too.
How exactly did the injury occur?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
You tore your MCL surfing??? What were the mechanics? How did that happen exactly?

I tore my mcl 9 months ago playing soccer and surfing is what feels best for me. I don't want to be put in a position of doing it again. Crutches for 7 weeks was such a bummer. You'll be fine though.

Good luck.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
Up until now I've been just riding a regular surfboard. 6'6" about 2 1/8 thick. No problems at all getting up. I went out friday afternoon with some friends one of which had a hyperlite coex. I had a hard time getting up on that thing. It was alot harder (at least for me) to get that thing up. I bought a CWB Ride Saturday which is 5'3 and took it out Sunday. I thought it would have been easier than the 4'4. No way. I believe it has to do with the lack of flotation. Now my buddy can pop up on both the 4'4 and CWB ride. They balance under the water. I'm 5'9 and 175 and couldn't quite get the balancing underwater thing down yet. But anyway, the mechanism of injury was this, I was lying in the water with my feet on the deck. When the driver began to accelerate my front foot (right) kind of turned outward and I felt a burn in my knee. Not really a pop or an intense pain. I was able to get up but it hurt when I would flex or extend my leg afterwards. I rode for about 30 seconds and then just stopped. I truly believe it was a freak thing. But I don't think I'll try the really thin boards anymore. I like the feel of my surfboard and it's thickness. I'm sure it could have happened on that board too.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-04-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Matthew -- I started on a Rip Curl 6'8" and loved it. When I tried the Inland Surfer Yellow it seemed really squirelly the first few times and I didn't like it much. I can relate to liking the feeling of the true surfboard. However, I haven't ridden the Rip Curl now for months -- last time I was on it, it just seemed so sluggish and heavy in the water. One of my surfing buddies from CA just came out and he didn't like the Inland boards we have either - he preferred the Rip Curl. I guess it just takes some getting used to, but as you progress you'll probably want to move to boards that allow you to do more... you might try looking at the Shred Stixx as they are obviously "shaped" surfboards. They might give you more of the feel you are looking for along with the maneuverablity you'll eventually want...
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-05-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
Matthew- sorry to hear all that. I have fully recovered from my MCL tear. I was surfing in my full brace (one you are likely wearing now) the week after I got off crutches. Use that for awhile and then get fitted for a Donjoy custom brace. You wont be able to go into Valgus and tear that thing again if you were those. Surfing is great exercise for your legs and healthy for your ligaments. Get those legs strong and eat well. Don't over due your recovery and go to a good physical therapist to get back your ROM.

Email me if you have any specific questions during your healing... Ben
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
I had 2 friends who tore there hamstrings trying to get up. They both let the boat drag them too long and the nose of the board shoot forward and jammed the rear right against there chests. when the first guy did it I thought it was a freak thing. But when the next guy did it I made sure to tell everyone if you are being drug let go of the rope.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-05-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Ben. I happen to work in an ortho clinic with a PT downstairs from my office. I'm in a donjoy brace right now. I can walk on it without crutches. It mainly hurts to flex and extend my knee. Getting up from a sitting position is the worst. It's not excruciating pain. It's been very tolerable with ibuprofen 800mg three times a day. When it happened, I knew something was immediately wrong. My buddy was ocean surfing in 4 weeks after he tore his MCL. I'm definitely going to get a brace to surf with though. I don't want to do this again.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
I'm surprised you are allowed to walk on it with a fully torn MCL. I was put on crutched for 6 weeks, with no weight bearing. Period. I thought that was the treatment. Be careful walking around because a second tear now will cause irrepairable damage.
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-07-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I tore my PCL completely getting up on a wakesurf board
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
What is a PCL tear like? How long is the recovery? WHat was the treatment like?
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-08-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
My PCL was torn completely in half. The doctor said it was basically like an explosion. All the blood rested in my foot and my foot was black & blue for a few weeks. The only way to completely repair the tear is to replace it with a cadaver ligament. The doctor told me I could also not have the surgery and work on strenghtening my knee to compensate for the lost ligament. I have not had the surgery to replace it. I have to wear a knee brace when I wakeboard or do any other sports. The brace keeps my knee in place. So far the brace has worked great. When that happened that was my first attempt at getting up on the wake surf board.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
My MCL tear is not a full thickness tear. Only partially torn. It's feeling better. But getting up from a sitting position is definitely painful. What kind of knee brace are you wearing in the water Lynn?
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-21-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
I tore my mcl 2 months ago. After 6 wks the doc told me to take the brace off so my leg could strenghten. I have been in the gym and things are going well and I am now wakesurfing with a brace. Dont panic it just takes time to heal. Also dont rush the boarding progression when you come back. Let it get strong before going big.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
It's getting there slowly. I went to New Orleans this past weekend and walked a bit much. My knee kind of aches. I'm just taking it easy though.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Its been 10 month for me. I surf with no brace, but wakeboard, play soccer, etc. with a DonJoy Defiance knee brace. Works very well.