Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
Well the storage that my boat is locked up in has a window that faces north. No big deal, except one side of my boat is getting sun almost all day from about 10am on as the sun goes from east to west and it's causing half of one side of the boat's white gelcoat to yellow, along w/ the rubrail. So I've fixed that problem, but now time to fix the boat.

It's just slightly yellow (enough for me to notice, not really enough for my friends to be able to catch it w/o me pointing it out). So should I just spend some time w/ the high speed polisher and some 3M rubbing compound or do you all think a regular boat (3M or meguiars) polish will work with some elbow grease?

If I go w/ the rubbing compound, do u think I need the micro-fine after or should I skip straight to the micro-fine for this job?

(Message edited by Tanner on August 15, 2006)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
What kind of boat do you have that is yellowing?

Start with a fine compound then move up if needed.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
it's an 06' Tige
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
It should not be yellowing even in the full sun. Something is wrong. Tons of boats are stored outdoors and will not yellow after years of storage.

Edit: are there any chemicals stored in the building?

(Message edited by Peter_C on August 15, 2006)
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Nope. My first thought was that it had been stained by the "red" water at one particular lake here. But then I noticed it's only on the one side. It started off w/ just the rub rail starting to "yellow" all around. Now the one side is doing it faintly.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
I'd take it to the dealer where you bought it. A boat that new shouldn't be discoloring so quickly, especially the rubrail.

I would not put rubbing compound of any kind on an 06 boat unless it had scratches that needed to be buffed out. I'd try going over it by hand with a cleaner/wax first. Meguiars makes some good stuff.

Jman
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
You can buy hull cleaners that have a bit of acid in them. That worked well on my boat for stains that seemed unpenetrable. But take it back to the dealer thats no good.