Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-04-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
with hydrohoists', will they just float to the top evenly or are they designed to have the rear come up first a bit since the rear of a boat will be heavier?

are these designed to lift straight up or something else? i havent ever seen one go up and down
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-06-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
The older ones like the one I have, come up nose first and I think most or at least some of the newer ones come up evenly. When lowering, the rear of mine drops first followed by the front. If you have to much weight on the front and it drops first, it can be a real pain to get back up.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Mine(4 years old) comes up evenly. And drops down evenly.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-06-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   

Just like loading a trailer, how you load the boat on the lift will effect its balance. Ideally you would want the float tubes to rise level, which would require the "center of gravity" of the boat to be over the "center of floation" for the lift. This would mean that a rear engine boat would want to sit a bit further forward on the lift than a center mounted engine.

Many of the lifts have a frame that attaches to the dock. The "parallel" arm design pretty much requires that the lift stay approximately level as it goes up and down. If the boat is not loaded properly it could jam the lift or cause undue strain on the arms and/or dock.

Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-06-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
ok, talked to the guy with the lift we are buying, he said the list needs to be re-adjusted for our boat as his lifted rear first as he had a 23' cobalt with a 454 in it and was rear heavy/

thanks for the comments, looks like i found a slip and a lift !!!!!! this season just got a WHOLE lot better!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-06-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
Midwesty,

Be careful with the hydro hoist.

If it's for a U dock (single valve) then it should lift up flat (balanced), move the boat around until it's fairly evenly balanced otherwise it will put unnecessary strain on the dock.

If it's a side mount (4 valves) it needs to come up bow first. There is the very real danger of the boat rolling over the nose if it comes up rear first. A friend of mind sunk his boat when the open bow went under then is slid off the lift completely submerging the boat to the rub rail.

The hydrohoist manuals are available online.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
What marina did you get set up at?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-07-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
right now it is at lake mead marina, we also have a spot reserved until wednesday at hemenway, just trying to decide to move the lift to hemenway or leave it there.

have you been out lately? how have things been going?
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Went out on Sunday and got a quick run in, still trunkin it, a little cold. A buddy of mine just put his boat in a slip at Hemenway this week.
We need to hook up soon.
Scott
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
is it an x-2 or x-9 by chance?
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
No his is my old Toyota, blue and white Epic 21.

I have a blue Malibu V-Ride
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
Will a 4400 lbs hydrohoist be o.k. for typical wakeboard boat such as a bu vlx, SAN or mc x2 or do I need a larger lift?